“Nice but pricey”

Aquarius on the Beach
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights in July. This was my second time in Townsville and I opted to stay in the same accommodation as my previous time - Aquarius on the Beach. The staff were nice, though always seemed very busy whenever I went down by reception, and once had to wait over 20 minutes to be spoken to, so feel that an extra staff member would have definitely helped. The room was nice enough, though too small in my opinion for what you pay. Yes, it has a nice view, and it has a great location on the Strand, but otherwise not close to big shopping centres etc. I ended up hiring a car after getting frustrated with how far it was from everything which just added to my frustration in regards to the cost. Also, I found that there was a lot of noise the Friday and Saturday night when I tried to get to sleep as I could hear loud music and every so often a group of drunk people would be walking up the road screaming and using very loud voices which kept me awake. I liked the accommodation, but next time I go to Townsville I will definitely be staying somewhere a lot closer to everything else and just giving up the view.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great location on the Strand and all rooms seem to have an ocean view. It was great to open the curtains in the morning and see the sun rising over he water. The building itself is old and the hallways need serious renovation. However the rooms have been renovated and had everything we needed including fridge and microwave. Hotel has own carpark which fills up quickly, however we parked on the Strand and had no problems. Good value for Townsville.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed on the 8th floor and had magnificent views as all rooms do from higher up. Was clean and daily towel change is a bonus. Lovely walk along the beach with many restaurants to choose from. Staff more than helpful and friendly. Would recommend Aquarius on the Beach and reasonably price to a lot of places we looked at. Does have a high traffic flow of 40km and noise is what you would expect but does die off of a night to only hear the whoosh of the beach.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had booked into Aquarius before reading some less than complimentary reviews on Trip Advisor; so we were a little apprehensive as to what we would find on arrival. We need not have worried. Our room was most comfortable and very clean. Being the only high rise hotel on the Strand, the view from all rooms is magnificent. Staff were extremely helpful and responded to our needs with friendliness and efficiency. Parking is a little crowded, but we managed to squeeze our car in without any problems.

1  Thank jpd0403
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We got what we had hoped for - a perfect room, perfect views, great staff, comfortable and modern. I cant find any fault from check in thru to check out. Yes it is next to a noisy bar but maybe we where lucky as everyone was gone by 10pm and it was very quiet. The location is perfect for all The Strand offers. Close to some gorgeous restaurants. Close to a grocery store. We where lucky enough to score and end room which is larger than the other rooms. This is an apartments complex not a motel/hotel so those services arent there so you need to know htat before you get there so you are organised in regards to catering etc. The views are to die for. Will visit again next weekend it was so perfect for us.

Room Tip: 3 tips for rooms 1. ask for end room - they are bigger 2. ask for one where your bed faces the rockp...
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Woken on Saturday morning by drilling and hammering from room next door - management said they couldn't do anything because all the rooms are owned by different people!!! The view was extremely lovely over to Magnetic Island but it's right next to noisy bars and quite far from an array of restaurants and attractions. I ad to clean down the surfaces before I could settle in - coffee rings on coffee table. Extremely uncomfortable couch

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Plastic_Biddy
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked in for a work trip for five days, in four rooms.
You could not get a park for love nor money.
On one occasion the closest we found a park to the hotel was three blocks away.
To say the service provided as disgusting is a gross understatement.
The hotel could not give a flying ..... about the guests.
And what's more on the morning of check out one of the charming hotel cleaners rudely reminded one of your contingent if he knew that 11am was the check out time.
Well sorry if we were 15 minutes overdue but we had no parking and four rooms and dropped thousands into your bank account.
I expect the standard sugar-coated limp wristed reply.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business