“another trip to townsville”

Aquarius on the Beach
Reviewed September 24, 2012

it was the second time i stayed here first time had a good room with a separate kitchenette .this time i stayed shower was above bath which was all rusty and the toilet had been changed leaving shabby paint.the veiws are great you wake up to a lovely sunrise good location for the strand and pool area nice.most of the staff are friendly.check out your room before you take it some are privately own and decorated differently

Room Tip: corner suites are the best
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This hotel is okay for a one night stop over which is what it was for us. We were shown a very modern, tastefuly decorated bright and airy room with an amazing view, we were given 2x very tired, old and dreary rooms to stay in - the 'viewing rooms' are not a fair representation then!

The views over the water to Magnetic Island were great and although there seemed to be lots of young partying types occupying the hotel it wasn't too noisy. The location is good for the Strand and it was fairly cheap.

Room Tip: If you reuqest to see a room first and like it then request to have that specific room - they're...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Right on The Strand with a wonderful beach view. Good location only about 2kms from the city centre.

I stayed here for a week and had a very plesant stay. Room size was very reasonable. Pool is nice too and. I had an out of hours check in because my flight was late evening. You get sent a text to with instructions.

Hotel doesn't have a fitness centre but they have a deal with one of the nearby gyms where you can go work out. Just show your room key.

My only downside was frequance of house keeping. Even though I put the door hanger on. (Hoping this is a constructive comment)

Overall my stay here was very good and would stay here again when in Townsville.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank IanG1980
Reviewed September 3, 2012

And have done for the past 4 years. Why?
It is central to my business needs.
I smoke, and they have a balcony for me to do so. The view is an extra for me.
I have stayed here often enough to know which rooms to request when I book. If I don't get a selected room I don't stay here.
It is value for money under these circumstances.
The lifts have never, ever scared me.

Bad points.
The parking is terrible. They do need to give parking permits to guests and not car loads of locals going out to dinner.
The staff can be lackadaisical but these are 'serviced apartments', not a room service hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed from 24th to 27th of August and couldn't fault anything. I knew what we were booking as I researched the property and was very delighted with what we paid for. Yes balcony is small, but that was no surprise as you can see that it the photo. It was plenty big enough for us to sit and enjoy drinks and take in the beautiful views and sound of the waves. Room was very clean, better than a lot of other places we have stayed. We experienced very little noise from the neighbouring rooms due to the solid walls that come with an older building. Location is fantastic and easy walking to a variety of attractions, restraurants and bars. Staff were very friendly and most helpful. Well done and we will definitely be staying here again on our next visit to Townsville.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Well my wife spent a week in this dump it had a musty smell about the room,had to ring down stairs after a few days to see if they would service the room,unfinished painting on the wall just left the hole & bit of filler over it.Carpark close to everything so used by every one not paying guest have a notice towaway on the wall so what,the best thing was the upgrade in the bathroom.Great view......but good if you are a backpacker then you would love it.STAY AWAY.

Room Tip: No tip stay away.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2012

First impressions were not good at all. Greeted by a young girl on Sunday evening who was an individual of very few words. When I asked her where to park, her reply was; "Wherever you like, it's first in best dressed. Good luck!". After we'd dumped our bags in the room, I went downstairs to ask her what happened if the rear gate was locked (as it was after 11pm) and I couldn't find her! I did, eventually, she was outside having a smoke with her boyfriend! She didn't seem to understand my question anyway, so I gave up! The room itself (13th floor) was OK but the bathroom was poor compared to the room. No venting in bathroom at all! View from balcony was superb (as you would expect from 13th floor) but no restaurant, bar or room service. The most frustrating thing was the car parking debacle though. If you build a tower block of apartments, one of the priorities MUST be to provide enough parking spaces for the guests/residents. Due to this, I would never return to the Aquarius. Sorry, nice try Aquarius, but you need to have a real focus on your customer service and what you are providing your guests with for what you are charging because the answer is; very little.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is FULLY refurbished!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple