“Poor layout and rude management”

and 1 more site!
Reef Lodge Backpackers
“Poor layout and rude management”
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Just came back from reef lodge. The management has the worst service I have ever come across. I went with a school group and we paid for many rooms. They did not put us together and I spent every night worried about my students. Many people were smoking pot right in front of my students and they made very loud noise all night. We did not mind that so much- you would expect that from a backpackers in town near all the pubs etc but what did annoy me was at 7:45 AM the next day I got told off for talking to my students about what they needed to pack for the day. Apparently I was not considerate enough of other guests. What a joke!!!

The kitchen does not accommodate all the guests and the communal areas are small and pokey. It has a good location but would never recommend it to anybody. Look elsewhere.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
DeanNixonHarding, Manager at Reef Lodge Backpackers, responded to this review, May 7, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your stay. Sorry you had such a bad experience. The room configuration would have been sorted with the organizer and they would have been aware of this prior to arrival. The whole complex is secure from the street, so no one has access to the property without a key. Smoking pot on the property? We do not condone this and would have definitely dealt with this if anyone had bothered to bring it to the attention of management. A lot of backpackers smoke herbal cigarettes and we have been caught out on many occasions when confronting people about smoking pot. We have had many groups over the years stay at the Reef lodge much larger and smaller than this group, many have continued to return each year since 2003 as they like the position of the property and the facilities. Rude management? Sorry you took offense as to being ask to keep your voice down at 7:45am while addressing your group. You refer to others being inconsiderate during the night by making noise however we were not there at the time, but would have asked these people also to be more considerate. As a teacher we are sure you understand the complexity of dealing with groups of people, sadly, we can't please everyone. On any one night we may have to deal with up to 70 people, we simply do our best. Again sorry you had such a bad experience

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Hebrew first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights too many. The staff are rude and stop people from drinking in the common area at 10.30pm every night including the weekends, yet the noise from the bar behind it makes the rule pointless. Helped a friend leave her bags into her room and the owner was quite rude as to saying you can't be in the room even though I was at that stage standing at the door of the room. Had to change rooms during my stay and had to provide my name 5 times to the owner as he kept forgetting!! Looked out the window of the hostel and saw the owner with a person in a headlock on the street - would not recommend this hostel to my enemies!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank liathroid
DeanNixonHarding, Manager at Reef Lodge Backpackers, responded to this review, May 1, 2016
It’s always interesting the reasons why you remember some people and for that reason I will say nothing more than I tend to treat others the same as they treat me. Being moved 5 times simply comes down to rooms being previously booked, although we do try to minimise moving people if we can help it. Having to move people just adds to our work load. With regard to the guy being restrained. He was trying to break into the hostel and I asked him to leave. I tried to remove him without incident but sadly it was not the case. The police were called and he was taken away. Sadly, although there were people around no one tried to help me.

Sincerely hope the rest of your holiday went to plan and sorry for the late response. Did not see this review and thought it needed explanation.

All the best
Reef Lodge
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Loved this place, drove past it and decided i couldn't even consider staying anywhere else! It's wall to wall beautiful underwater MURALS and SCULPTURES and HAMMOCKS. It's just gorgeous you'll never want to leave the four walls! They also have a talking bird! I really loved staying there. It is run by a couple so they run it very tightly and you do need to obey their house rules such as not leaving stuff or coming into the hostel if you're not checked in or they'll get very upset but I think it's worth it to stay in a place with SO MUCH character!! Definitely crafted with a great deal of TLC as though it were their own home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
wexford
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

The staff here set the scene. They look like they hate their job and are very rude. I could not find any positive for this hostel bar location. The kitchen facilities were the worst I saw in Oz. Cramped and no room to move.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank munsterred
Thanks for taking the time. So sorry to hear you did not like the hostel and the late response to your review. Everyone has a bad day and it may have been the case in this instance. Sadly being in hospitality it seems we cant have off days without coming under scrutiny and ridicule. Although it is a sizable kitchen it's not the biggest of kitchens and the problem seems that everyone wants to cook at the same time.

Certainly hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

All the best
Reef Lodge
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed here last year for 3 weekends whilst I was volunteering within the region. Rooms were clean and adequate. I prefered staying in one of the back rooms behind the gym and kitchen. The room closest to the road was very noisy at night but that was to be expected as there are bars and nightclubs very close. I enjoyed my stay here and would come back again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Wellington, NZ
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Bit military style in the running- strange manager. I guess thats why its VERY clean and tidy. But is lacking in soul, despite the Tibetan flags and Budda statues. Its well equipped, kitchens, DVD libraries, big lounge areas. Pots of herbs dotted round the place. The dorm was bright, spacious, ensuite and clean. Depsite the cleanliness I still got bed bugged 
Townsville is a neat little place though- recommend coming!
So a mixed bag; I had an okay stay but left scratching and cursing.....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Woodinio
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 15, 2012

outstandingly clean...mature clientele,meet some nice ppl and the ambience is very peaceful,dean and his staff do a great job in presenting such a clean and welcoming environment...u can see the results of they're efforts...planning to stay again

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo