All reviews pool area is nice place to stay enjoyed my stay facilities ferry
Reviewed September 17, 2018

dorm was basic, felt abit prison styled was not cleaned at all in the 8 days i stayed here. the place is a backstop for Australians on social welfare with a lot of them perm residents on drugs or alcohol with children and pets, they let anyone come in off the streets to use the facilities for a $10 charge. i did not see one other backpacker while i was here. bathrooms and showers are disgusting which never seem to get cleaned. a lot of stuff out of service or broken. the place felt pretty safe but i would AVOID at all costs untill the perm residents are removed and this goes back to being a Backpacker hostel. This should legally not be listed as a backpacker hostel as it is far from being one. Staff however where great very friendly and helpful.. a lot of the people here ask you for money, cigarettes the use of your laptops and phones and all seem to supply their habbits by endlessly taking the butts out of the ashtrays

Room Tip: pay the extra and go to rambutan
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

The room smelt so bad. It was indescribable. Its along the lines of a foul smell that they’d tried to mask with detergents.
Curtains didn’t close, they were also see through, and there was a giant gap in the door.
I felt super unsafe in the place. They had a lot of permanent residents who just hung around and could tell some were high and others drunk and they just watched as I came and went.
I honestly just sat in my car until I was ready to sleep and headed to the room, locked the door and laid under the bed sheet provided and got out of there as soon as my eyes opened in the morning.
As much as I hated the place, the pricing was on par to the quality. You got a room and an uncomfortable bed. That’s it.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Branden1990
Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for one night during our backpacking travels. Townsville as a place we probably wouldn’t come back to as its full of derelict shops and bars, not really our vibe. The hostel was less than adequate but it felt like we was in Magaluf as it was full of British lads who always had a beer in their hand and playing music. The dorm was big for 4 beds and the beds were comfy. Only a sheet but when we came it was cold so wasn’t comfy. There was a fridge in the room, 2 bedside tables and a wardrobe. They were also equipped with a fan. The rooms are in a courtyard arrangement so you can hear everything which is going on outside which was annoying. The bathrooms were very clean and the showers warm and powerful which was the only good thing. However in the morning the toilets were covered in sick. The dorm room was grimy and had a prison feel to it. We were able to get a shuttle from the bus stop to the hostel but as we was leaving early in the morning we had to get an Uber which cost around $8. Despite the facilities our stay was awful with the 11pm noise ban not being enforced at all and people shouting and banging on doors. The kitchen was dirty and everything had to be cleaned as it was covered in oil or something else we didn’t want to think about. I wouldn’t stay here again and I wouldn’t come back to Townsville.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Isobelwiseman
Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

Mostly clean and is cheap, very run down, lots of things out of order and have not been fixed. Some bathrooms had no soap Felt unsafe walking to toilet alone at night. Mattress need replacing. Charged for betting extra including blankets

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank zoearts07
Reviewed June 8, 2018 via mobile

I only had one night here as a stop off before I travelled to Magnetic Island and it did the job fine. The staff are very helpful. Basic facilities but adequate. Cleaned to a good standard. A lot of older people staying here on a more long term basis so not the usual backpackers hostel vibe. The pool is lovely and a nice place to spend the afternoon, there is also a basic gym there.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled solo