“Meets expectations”

The Ville Resort-Casino
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Reviewed November 21, 2007

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in Nov 2007 on our way back from Magnetic Island (well worth a visit). Review follows.

Booking
We booked the "Sunday Super Special" on wotif.com for approx AUD150 which I thought was a pretty good rate. Buffet Breakfast was included, as well as chocolates and champagne on arrival. The booking process was smooth as usual with wotif.

Location
The hotel is within a 5 minute walk from the Magnetic Island ferry wharf and approx 10 - 15 minutes to the "City" Centre. Townsville is not that big and pretty much anything can be reached on foot, besides the airport, which is 15 - 20 mins away by taxi, which cost approx AUD 20.

Check-in
We arrived about a 1/2 hour before the documented check-in time and were unable to go to our room until exactly 2pm. When we went back, we were processed systematically. The champagne and chocolates promised were not presented to us, so we had to ask - they were in our room on our return after heading into town. They did show some flexibility by substituting the champagne for orange juice at our request.

Room
We had a double/king room. It was very clean and the air-conditioning was effective (critical for a Nth Qld summer). The decor was looking a bit on the 20 year + side, so a renovation wouldn't be far amiss. The fridge / mini-bar was adequate size and there was good space for our luggage. The bathroom was also of a good size, although the shower is in the bath. There is a decent sized LCD tv and there was a good selection of movies, altho they're approx AUD 15 which seems a tad pricey.

We had a fantastic view of the sea and Magnetic Island from our room.

Meals
The buffet breakfast was of a very good standard with good selection, although the fruit didn't seem as good as to what I've become accustomed to on other Qld travels. For dinner, there was a buffet and a la carte option, which was satisfactory without being a culinary highlight. There is also a small cafe with a very good and reasonably priced selection inside the casino. As a tip, if you join the casino club for free, you get reduced prices on meals (probably at the expense of some junk mail later).

Pool
The pool looked good in size and quite appealing. We didn't swim though.

Concierge / Activities
Townsville itself is about as inspiring as its name. It is a very convenient gateway to Magnetic Island with cheap flights available to get to Townsville. We asked the bloke behind the desk as to how to spend an afternoon in Townsville, but he came up blank (there wasn't a concierge available at the time).

We did manage to find out that there is an Aquarium and Museum that may be worth seeing, although we didn't go in. The locals rave about the view from the hilltop, as well as "the Strand" - a beach promenade which has a fun-looking waterpark in the middle. You need to be careful about swimming in the sea, as Nov - May is stinger season and there could even be box jellyfish (lethal) around. Wetsuits / skins are strongly advised.

The primary activity of the hotel itself is the casino. It is well equipped with pokies (electronic slot machines) and has some gaming tables too - I saw blackjack and roulette, and there is texas hold'em some nights of the week. The enviroment inside the casino was comfortable, with staff helpful. The hotel is also a few minutes walk from the convention centre.

Check-out
Check-out was a smooth process.

Overall
Townsville itself is not the most exciting place in the world, so I wouldn't recommend spending the family holiday there. Having said that, the hotel itself is well equipped and pleasant, with good deals available, so if you're there for business or some other reason, I'd recommend it (provided you're not an addictive gambler).

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank AussieRhino

Reviewed November 8, 2007

Stayed over night following Melbourne Cup - room was large, great view of harbour, nice bathroom, great pillows on the bed and concierge very helpful after busy day at the races. In room dining a bit dear but you can grab a great meal from the cafe downstairs and they will allow you to take it to your room, so this was a great benefit as well.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Steve-70
Reviewed August 26, 2007

This tall hotel is located on reclaimed land about fifteen minutes walk from town. It provides sleeping space for tired gamblers and conference delegates (I was neither). My room was tired too. I liked the view of the sea across to Magnetic Island but I hated the dead flies on the window ledge. I had to leave very early to catch a flight and they did arrange a taxi which arrived on time. The staff were friendly but frankly I was pleased to leave.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank Ant42
Reviewed May 2, 2007

We booked an executive room at Jupiters and were allocated a huge, beautifully appointed suite with views over the sea to Magnetic Island one way and the harbour the other. We had absolutely no complaints about the quality of the furnishings and it had a lovely bathroom with loads of good quality towels.
BUT! I appreciate we were staying out of season, but we were under the impression that there were three restaurants. In fact, only one - the canteen style buffet - was open. It was also open to non-residents and was a real bunfight as a consequence. There is a second restaurant - only open at weekends and the third (outdoor pub-style) isn't open in February. This should have been made clearer on the hotel information.
We had an ok meal at a restaurant nearby and the town is only about 10 mins away. Unfortunately the weather was dreadful - pouring with rain!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Keentraveller50
Reviewed October 4, 2006

After a very dissapointing start to our holiday in Townsville we were very fortunate to stay at Jupiters. They were more than willing to go out of their way to do all they could to help us. Being left in a town you don't know, in the middle of the school holidays, with nowhere to stay we were so relieved to be helped out of this situation by Jupiters. Everything from the moment we booked in with them was great. They all went out of their way to help us with whatever we needed.Would highly recommend them to one and all .

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank Annnoyed
Reviewed June 1, 2006

I loved Jupiters though my stay was very brief. I was there for business and arrived early evening the night before. I got the base rate of $140 and was staying on my own with my baby yet we got a fabulous room with two double beds. The room was really spacious with a nice clean, well-appointed bathroom. My friends got the next room and paid extra ($180) to get two adult breakfasts and valet parking thrown in but for some reason they got an extra large bathroom and consequently much smaller living area. No idea why or if there was any connection between that and their 'superior room' booking.

We all opted to eat out that night as it seems Jupiters does not have a good reputation for dining. Infact, our business facilitator has stayed there many times and assured us she has given up eating there now. But I did choose to have breakfast in our room the next morning due to time constraints. It was great though there was little flexibility as there was two set prices but a massive array of food. I felt obliged to have one of everything since I was paying $21.50 for it ! That breakfast was timely and great quality.

I woke to an amazing view of the sun over Magnetic Island. Having arrived in the evening I had no idea which way my room was facing, nor of the possibilities. It was simply wonderful so I got my camera out.

At $140 it wasn't much more than your average motel on Bowen Rd, yet it was soooo much more. The location is much better too being in town (I always have my car when I'm in Townsville however). It was so worth paying an extra $20 or so to stay in a hotel so much better than any T'ville motel that I've ever stayed in. Lovely :-)

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank Depome
Reviewed April 21, 2006

I lived in Townsville for a few years and have stayed at almost every hotel the town has to offer, and like any rural non-highly touristic town, as such, compared to Brisbane or Sydney, the hotels are not going to be 5-star luxury.

Jupiters Casino is my first choice if you want 'luxury as such', the rooms are a great size, clean, modern, either overlooking the ocean out to Magnetic Island or Castle Hill and city centre, depends on allocation. The pool area is beautiful day and night. Casino staff are very friendly and helpful.

The casino within itself, is not large, nor extremely modern, however again, you are in Townsville, so don't expect Vegas. I would stay here over the Holiday Inn or any of the hotels closer to Flinders Street East. The location is towards the pier end, so a cab ride into Flinders Street East (5) mins best option, however have walked many times.

More on Townsville:

Nightlife: Flinders Street East is the hub for nightlife, with clubs such as the Mad Cow Tavern (rock,80's classics, modern - fun easy going crowd, and the Bank (club, dance music)being the two most popular. Expect long lines on Saturday or Friday nights, especially if a Cowboys (football) game is in town.

Note: 3:00am lock out. You have to be in the club of choice by 3:00am. You can not re-enter a club after 3:00am. All venues non-smoking.

Dining: Palmer Street is the main street for restaurants.....you can't really go wrong, just take walk at night, very pretty and you will find what you are after, from Mexican (not traditional San Diego Mexican), but Australian Mexican at least to Thai and noodles.

After dinner, catch a 5 min cab ride or walk across the bridge to Flinders Street East. Even though Townsville is safe in the evenings, you still have to be careful, like anywhere, have common sense.

Breakfast or anytime: you MUST go to The Strand, beautifully maintained beach walk, swimming with nets for stinger season, parks to play, the BUCKET...a huge water park area with a giant bucket that tips gallons of water all over slides, waterfalls...FREE and safe. The Strand has 24-hour patrol, and is the most beautiful place for morning walks, evening strolls, picnic in the park...eat at C-Bar for breakfast.

Enjoy Townsville...its impossible not to!

• Stayed: September 2005