My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in Nov 2007 on our way back from Magnetic Island (well worth a visit). Review follows.
We booked the "Sunday Super Special" on wotif.com for approx AUD150 which I thought was a pretty good rate. Buffet Breakfast was included, as well as chocolates and champagne on arrival. The booking process was smooth as usual with wotif.
The hotel is within a 5 minute walk from the Magnetic Island ferry wharf and approx 10 - 15 minutes to the "City" Centre. Townsville is not that big and pretty much anything can be reached on foot, besides the airport, which is 15 - 20 mins away by taxi, which cost approx AUD 20.
We arrived about a 1/2 hour before the documented check-in time and were unable to go to our room until exactly 2pm. When we went back, we were processed systematically. The champagne and chocolates promised were not presented to us, so we had to ask - they were in our room on our return after heading into town. They did show some flexibility by substituting the champagne for orange juice at our request.
We had a double/king room. It was very clean and the air-conditioning was effective (critical for a Nth Qld summer). The decor was looking a bit on the 20 year + side, so a renovation wouldn't be far amiss. The fridge / mini-bar was adequate size and there was good space for our luggage. The bathroom was also of a good size, although the shower is in the bath. There is a decent sized LCD tv and there was a good selection of movies, altho they're approx AUD 15 which seems a tad pricey.
We had a fantastic view of the sea and Magnetic Island from our room.
The buffet breakfast was of a very good standard with good selection, although the fruit didn't seem as good as to what I've become accustomed to on other Qld travels. For dinner, there was a buffet and a la carte option, which was satisfactory without being a culinary highlight. There is also a small cafe with a very good and reasonably priced selection inside the casino. As a tip, if you join the casino club for free, you get reduced prices on meals (probably at the expense of some junk mail later).
The pool looked good in size and quite appealing. We didn't swim though.
Concierge / Activities
Townsville itself is about as inspiring as its name. It is a very convenient gateway to Magnetic Island with cheap flights available to get to Townsville. We asked the bloke behind the desk as to how to spend an afternoon in Townsville, but he came up blank (there wasn't a concierge available at the time).
We did manage to find out that there is an Aquarium and Museum that may be worth seeing, although we didn't go in. The locals rave about the view from the hilltop, as well as "the Strand" - a beach promenade which has a fun-looking waterpark in the middle. You need to be careful about swimming in the sea, as Nov - May is stinger season and there could even be box jellyfish (lethal) around. Wetsuits / skins are strongly advised.
The primary activity of the hotel itself is the casino. It is well equipped with pokies (electronic slot machines) and has some gaming tables too - I saw blackjack and roulette, and there is texas hold'em some nights of the week. The enviroment inside the casino was comfortable, with staff helpful. The hotel is also a few minutes walk from the convention centre.
Check-out was a smooth process.
Townsville itself is not the most exciting place in the world, so I wouldn't recommend spending the family holiday there. Having said that, the hotel itself is well equipped and pleasant, with good deals available, so if you're there for business or some other reason, I'd recommend it (provided you're not an addictive gambler).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are entering the final exciting stages of our 40 million dollar redevelopment, and as such you may experience some construction noise or closure of some facilities. Please note that currently the hotel pool and rear lawns are closed however there is a nearby local pool available for hotel guests to enjoy. The Ville Resort - Casino is superbly located on the Townsville breakwater and overlooks magnificent Magnetic Island, the Coral Sea and Townsville City. The property is within walking distance of the Magnetic Island Ferry terminal, the CBD, the restaurant precincts of Palmer and Flinders Streets and Townsville's award-winning beachfront, The Strand. There is so much to do - so much to see in Townsville and The Ville is a "hot spot" for lifestyle and holidaying in the tropics! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your The Ville Resort-Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jupiters Townsville Hotel And Casino
- Jupiters Townsville Hotel Townsville
- Jupiters Hotel Townsville