“Good stay”

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Melbourne, Australia
“Good stay”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

we booked to stay 1 night in a standard room in order to catch an early morning flight home. upon check-in, we were given a free upgrade to one of their newly renovated rooms. the room/bathroom was clean and comfortable. location was excellent, just off Flinders street, and close to shops/restaurants and woolworths supermarket. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and gave us directions to Castle Hill (a really worthwhile climb, best during the late afternoon). The room was a bit small, but we thought they made good use of the space avaiable: the shower was quite spacious in such a small bathroom. The room window didn't open, so was stuffy until we put the aircon on. Overall, it was good value for money and we would stay here again.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I travel to Townsville regularly on business and had been looking for a suitable base while there. As a solo (female) business traveller I look for security and convenience above all. I was not told when I booked (through qantas.com) that there was no onsite parking or that there was a cost involved. Also, it was locked at 8pm. I arrived on the last flight, around 10pm to be greeted by a receptionist who really didn't give a damn, and said, "oh just leave your car in the loading zone overnight".

I clearly got one of the un-renovated rooms. It was disgusting. There were stains on the sheets, stains on the carpet, the bottom of the bathroom door was chipped away, and the sink plumbing screamed when I turned on the tap. The hallway carpets had extensive staining as well. The window only opened about an inch, but that was probably a good thing given the noise from drunks in the street.

The room also smelt so strongly of ammonia I couldn't sleep.

Thankfully I have now found a more suitable base for my trips to Townsville, and have told as many people as possible about my experiences.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Meredith1708
PlazaManager2000, General Manager at Chifley Plaza Townsville, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
I am sorry to hear about your recent stay with us. For Government traveller I would highly recommend our Executive Rooms, the entire hotel will be upgrade to this standard over the next 12 months, we already have 46 out of 93 finished, so we have the choice available now.
We offer secure parking which locks at 8pm, I have questioned the late shift Receptionist who believed she was helping as it was late, by letting you park in our loading zone by the front entrance of the Hotel, I have since explained that the correct procedure is to use the Secure Parking when requested at all times to avoid mis communication, this should have been made available to you and the parking unlocked to allow you to put your car inside.
Thankyou for your feedback.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I booked the Plaza Hotel after searching the internet and reading previous reviews. I must say however that my expectations of the hotel were definatly exceeded.
When booking I made sure I booked a renevated room as per previous reviews. From the street I was a litte uneasy about my selection but proceeded to reception to check in.
When I exited the lift on my floor I was pleasently surprised and felt a little more comfortable about my choice. The room itself reconfirmed previous reviews and definatly had a welcoming feel.
All in all it was a great stay in a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Guest255057
PlazaManager2000, Manager at Chifley Plaza Townsville, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Thank you for your feedback it is much appreciated and helps us to provide a great hotel experience for Townsville.
Upcoming works are the new look Bar, exterior painting and another floor of renovated rooms due to open March 2012.
We look forward to accommodating you on your next trip to Townsville.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I travel for work to Townsville on a regular basis and my home away from home is the Plaza. The rooms are comfortable, clean and easy to work in if you need to use your room as an office on occasion. The Plaza is very well located to great pubs and has a comfortable sports bar on the ground floor. The party strip in Flinders Street is an easy walk and museums and art galleries are just around the corner. I make use of the hotel indoor pool for a few laps after work and usually have it to myself. Best of all would be the staff. All are friendly and willing to help with enquiries and information. I would continue coming back to the Plaza just for their friendly service and conversation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I was booked into this hotel by my work for a business trip to Townsville, but it was not my first choice of place to stay as I had not had a good experience when I stayed about 12 months earlier. However the change that has gone on in the place during this time has been amazing.

The newly renovated rooms are definitely as good as (if not better than) any other 4 star property I've stayed in on trips to Sydney and Melbourne. The location is another benefit that will keep me coming back - only a few minutes walk to the offices I was working in, and about the same to many of the restaurants and bars in the centre of town.

I would now recommend this property to anyone planning a short trip to Townsville.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
PlazaManager2000, General Manager at Chifley Plaza Townsville, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Thank you for your feedback it is much appreciated.
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We booked a room to get away for a night and it was ok - got a spa suite, would fit two people comfortably enough (make sure reception explain how it works as there is no instruction manual) but there was no parking, found when we got there half the stuff we thought was included wasn't (difference in how you book i.e internet or over the phone) but the room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Right in the middle of everything but the sound of the city was not a disturbance. Perfect for business trips, very quiet hotel

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed September 17, 2011

In general, I think this hotel was good value for money. It is in a very central location, very convenient.
Things I did not like: while the room was ok, it has no resemblance at all with the pictures they advertise. Maybe they have a few rooms that are like that, but I think it would be more ethical to show pictures of all the types of rooms they offer.
Parking: They have no parking. This is fine. The problem is that the curb space that is reserved for loading and unloading of passengers (5-10 minute limit), is actually used for overnight guest parking. So... when we arrived there was no way to leave the car for a few minutes, check in and unload or baggage. We had to park a few blocks away and carry our bags that distance.
The room was not thoroughly clean. It was apparently clean. But a sideway glance to the table clearly showed several marks left by glasses. So, they took the glasses, but did not care to pass a cloth over the table. So, a bit more cleaning after a guest checks out would be nice.

Room Tip: I hope you are lucky and get the one in the pictures
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank reinga
Hi

We have uploaded new images of our rooms to ensure the most accurate information is being provided. Labeled 25 October 2011. These are images of our new Exec rooms, we still have 25 Standard rooms to upgrade, so for the higher standard of accommodation please ensure you book the Executive Room for your stay in Townsville.