“Does what it says on the tin”

Rydges Southbank Townsville
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Reviewed November 24, 2009

stayed here for one night, and it served the purpose, somewhere to break up the drive from Cairns to Airlie Beach. Nothing great to say about the hotel, girl at reception was ok, room was bland, dated, noisy. Met our requirements which were just to sleep and leave but wouldn't stay here for any length of time.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LizzyKav
PaulTownsville, General Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2010

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, we are currently working through plans for an upgrade to all facilities. The location of the hotel makes it ideal for corporate customers and holiday makers alike. We are constantly trying to improve our customer service and are committed to exceeding our customers expectations. Part of this process is for all team members to complete 'High Profile Customer Service Training.'

regards

Reviewed October 19, 2009

We have just checked out of the Rydges South Bank and had a number of conflicting experiences.
1. our first room (707) was an executive suite - I found an empty wine bottle behind the drapes and smashed wine glasses in the cupboard. The front desk clerk was horrified and switched us to another room. (all good so far)
2. Next room (607) - much better, identical layout to 707, marginally cleaner, though the desk area was really grotty (management: inspect the desk phone), decently equipped bathroom. Best part: a really comfy bed. The room wasn't totally dirty but it wasn't actually clean either.
3. Very friendly, helpful front desk staff.
4. Restaurant: in a word... TERRIBLE. We were seated at a "window" seat - directly beside the front door. We had to "duck" each time outside hotel patrons accessed the restaurant. Also, we ordered a bottle of wine and were presented with a bottle that was actually $23 more than the one we ordered. When we confronted the waitress, she appeared sheepish - probably worried about having it come from her own pocket - and didn't offer to exchange it for the proper one. We didn't want to raise a fuss so accepted this bottle and paid the extra amount. Finally, our meals were far below average. As a couple, we travel about 120 days per year and dine out accordingly. This meal was far below our expectations.
5. Finally, the cost for wifi internet is outrageous. I am a Rydges Priorty member entitled to 50% off the price of internet but at a base price of $0.75 per MINUTE, this was outrageous! Fortunately I am a user of Jimojo wireless and was able to access their service at a fraction of the price.

In the future if staying at this hotel, I would suggest...
1. looking over the room thoroughly before checking in
2. forget dining in the hotel restaurant.... there are many other alternatives close by
3. Use an alternate internet source

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank helidog
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights with my sister. The hotel is clean, in a great location and the staff are awesome. Check in was so easy, we arrived at the hotel at 10am and our room was already waiting for us even though check in isnt till 2pm. The staff at the front desk were friendly and extremely helpful.
The room (superior double double) was perfect and had everything we needed. The beds were very comfortable. The room cleaners were also great.
I was a little worried about staying here as I had read some bad reviews and that the hotel was old. I never had a problem with it and would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2009

This hotel is in a good spot, not in the city but just over the bridge, the rooms are comfortable and clean, the staff are polite and helpful, but without a doubt the best thing about this hotel is the restaurant, the food is awesome, their dinner menu is just divine, try the yearling eye fillet, and they have a wonderful all you-can-eat breakfast for around the $22.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2009

Clean apartment, but reasonable distance from hotel. Need swip key to exit hotel+ key to enter lobby of apartment then room. Lift slow and stairs locked from inside- makes no sense. Neighbours lawn sprinkler on @ 5.am and drilling into fence. Stark inside. Hotel pool run down. Will make more careful choice next time in Townsville

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Kiwi3604
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I stayed at Rydges for two nights and when I needed to unexpectedly stay in Townsville for another night I decided to move hotels. Rydges was ok but no where near the standard I thought the chain was.
Firstly for something positive - it's in a great location near really good restaurants - Bennys and also an Indian restaurant the hotel recommended that I think was called Masala. I also ate breakfast at the hotel and it was fine but I didn't get a chance to try room service.
OK now for the not so good. Check in went ok but when I got to my room I noticed a big stain on the carpet. The hotel is really dated inside so I didn't worry about it too much but then I realised it was because the air-conditioning was leaking and the carpet was saturated. So I rang up the front desk to tell them and the girl asked me if I wanted another room. I said yes because it smelt a bit damp.
Went back downstairs to get the key for a new room with my bags and the girl asked me if I had used the bathroom. I said yes and she said "now I'm going to have to block that room off" in an annoyed voice. I apologised but then thought - wouldn't they have had to block it off anyone since the air con was leaking???
Anyway went into my new room and the air-con was leaking in there too. Not as bad as the first room so I decided not to ask for another room and just put up with it but it dripped all night.
Then at about 11.30pm that night there was a fire alarm. It was over pretty quickly but we all had to go outside in our PJs until it was cleared. The staff later told us it was caused by someone leaving a window open which caused condensation in the air con system. I realise this is probably outside their control but talking to nearby shops the next morning they said it was a fairly common occurrence for the alarm to go off.
Also I requested all the papers to be delivered on the mornings I was there but they didn't show up at all and then when I went down to the desk to ask for them, they charged me for them. That's fair enough but I've never had to pay extra for a paper at any other hotel I've stayed in. It was just a minor irritation.
The rooms are typical - I had a queen bed. There was foxtel or austar including free movies but I wasn't in the room that much.
I didn't find the staff that helpful. There was a cyclone while we were there and another guest was asking about whether it had hit the coast and none of the staff knew or even bothered to check for him even though he was a tourist and it affected his holiday. Also there's a dengue fever outbreak which can be deadly and I think they should have been warning people to put on aeroguard but they also didn't seem to care about that.
So having said all that I had enough of Rydges and moved across the road to the Ibis for the final night. It's fairly new so feels much cleaner and although the rooms are smaller, they had everything I needed.
So if you get a great price for Rydges, stay there if you don't mind older rooms but otherwise I would go for the Ibis or the Grand Mecure which are nearby.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rosemaryo23
PaulTownsville, General Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2009

Hello,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Rydges Townsville. The airconditioning system has been replaced recently and we have been working through the issues of condensation in the rooms since the upgrade and have resolved most of these issues now. The hotel was origannly built in the mid eighties and upgraded in 2002. During 2009 we are spending significant effort in upgrading rooms in the hotel. I apolgise for the poor customer service offered to you whilst staying at Rydges and have discussed your comments with the front office team and am confident that going forward Rydges Townsville will continue to offer excellence in service.

Regards

Reviewed December 10, 2008

Grubby, tired ,second floor room with a view of a unclean patio table, still complete with rubbish the next day.
Aircon system out of a sixties movie.
Asked on three occasions at breakfast for vouchers by staff that were already collected, we felt like street kids!
Had to ask for breakfast bowls, and juice glasses, other guests missed out on the lamb chops for breakfast, there were only four!
No cutlery on tables, other guests had to ask for them. Carpark is open to the public and I had to park out on the road as a bus took up 6-7 spaces. Priority guest with Rydges who will never frequent the place again, nor will any of my business contacts or clients.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank happycamper13333

Thank you for your comments regarding your December Stay. Since your stay we have completed the airconditioning upgrade and installed brean new plant and equipment. We have commenced painting all guest rooms and will continue to do this over the coming months.

We have also instigated a new breakfast buffet and appointed an experienced breakfast supervisor and am pleased to advise that it has had great results.

Once again thanks for your comments, feedback allows us to address our short comings.

Regards