“I would go just for the restaurant”

Rydges Southbank Townsville
Ranked #26 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Hobart, Australia
“I would go just for the restaurant”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Was in Townsville for business and really didn't care where I stayed - room was basic but clean and I had planned to walk to find somewhere for dinner but at the last minute decided to eat in - how lucky was I
Entree - sashimi yellowfin - clean fresh fantastic
Main course - reef fish - on an avocado slide with beetroot and chap potato fish cooked of so well fantastic
Given I had been good allowed myself to be talked into chocolate surprise - truly high grade restaurant food in a budget hotel

Make sure you get a room facing the marina

Room Tip: 5th floor or above facing the marina
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Rydges T, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Hi Dean,
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at Rydges Southbank Townsville! I am glad that you enjoyed your dining experience at the Southbank Grill. They do cook up some tasty treats in there and the desserts are a fantastic way to finish off your meal! We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again in the near future.
Trish- Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Sydney
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel is centrally located which makes it easy to access all the local restaurants etc. The room was a good size although becoming dated. The breakfast was excellent ,the food was fresh and well presented. The bed was comfortable and for those who like mini bars it was well stocked. The price was reasonable also.

Room Tip: try for a water view room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Rydges T, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hi Ross, Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at Rydges Southbank Townsville. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and mini bar. The Rydges Dreambeds are amazing, just like a cloud to sleep on. We look forward to welcoming you back to us on your next visit.
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2014

i stayed two nights this week at this property.
What attracted me was the Qantas Frequent Flyer bonus offer.
I had stayed at Rydges in Auckland which is a more modern property .
I asked Trish for a quiet room away from the lifts on a high floor and this was granted which i appreciated very much.
I asked a couple of times for my Priority Card to be printed but nothing happened till Leonie explained that it could not be printed from there and emailed Head Office [ and copied me in on the email] to get them to send me one.Thank you Leonie.
The Hotels is a bit dated but its in the restaurant strip and the taxi rank is right outside the door.
My room was spotless as far as cleanliness goes and the bed was super comfortable.
Its a good Hotel and the staff are courteous.I would stay there again.
I had stayed out at Seagulls on another trip but Rydges is right in the CBD which suited my needs better.A Taxi from the Airport cost $22 or you can get the Shuttle for $10. Another option which i used on the way back was the local bus company Sunbus which cost $3, the Driver showed me where to walk from the Bus Stop which took about 5 minutes to reach the Terminal.
There is an excellent casual Seafood place two minutes from the hotel on the next corner and the fish and chips were very good and only cost $9-40
The Sailing Club is just around the corner from the Hotel and you can get a meal there.
Woolworths is a 6 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Rydges T, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Good Day John,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Rydges Southbank Townsville. I appreciate your comments and knowledge of the area! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Xmas day lunch was held in the Rydges Convention Rooms, located next door to the hotel accommodation. We are locals and decided to try a different venue, from our usual Aqua Restaurant-Jupiters Casino Xmas lunch experience. What a mistake that was! Rydges charged $85 pp (non-alcoholic). It was buffet style, with some seafood, meats,veg, salads, desserts, tea/coffee. Very pedestrian menu.

The seafood was okay (we are not big seafood eaters) but, had some prawns and bugs anyway. The bugs were like rubber, just horrible, but, prawns were just okay. The roast turkey would have to have been THE DRIEST meat we have ever had in our lives! OMG...it was like chewing cardboard, even with a bit of cold gluggy gravy on it for moisture. It was so dry it stuck in your throat and good luck in swallowing it. The roast vegetables were the only halfway decent item on the buffet. The roast beef was also horrible. The salads mostly were drowned in dressings. The only fresh salad was a green one, but no oil/lemon available for this. There were some other hot items, but passed on them as they looked like something served up in a mining camp refectory.

Not all of the cold food, such as, the salads and desserts were on ice or kept cold. Consequently, the salads ended up hot and the desserts look heat ridden halfway through the lunch. With one particular cheesecake being positively a likely potential for bacteria. It was horrible on the palate and rejected immediately. Air conditioning or not, cold buffet food items MUST be kept at a constant cold temperature.

No hot water water for tea and coffee was available until about 1.45pm. Lunch commenced at 12pm. This was poorly managed and patrons, including self, had to hang around the table where the tea/ coffee items were for about 2O-30mins, for the hot water to arrive. The wait and bar staff could have cared less about the delay and nothing happened until I asked a Chef, who just happened to be close by, if something could be done about the hot water debacle. Finally, it arrived in, 'vacuum pots'......classy!! Of course, inevitably, hot water provided this way, goes cold fairly quickly....so a really poor choice of means of providing patrons with decent hot beverages.

The venue was, okay.....no windows inside, just big doors opening inside, out to the buffet set up in the foyer of the venue. As this is a convention centre the layout is understandable. However, the tables were way, way too close to each other. We asked for a table for two near a wall area, to avoid heavy traffic from wait staff and patrons, but, of course, ended up smack in the middle of a waiter pathway and entrance to outside. We endured endless activity around our table, with constant hitting of our chairs and our backs, as people walked by or moving there chairs in and out.

The ambience was not too bad, however, the decorations were obviously leftover wedding ones. The colour scheme was yellow, white and gold?? What the!! This was Xmas. Where were the Xmas colours and decorations? Wait!....yes, there was.....wait for it.....a wee little Xmas tree way, waaaay up in one corner. Oh! and yes there was a traditional Santa......but, guess what.......he went Sant-ering from table to table to Ho! Ho! Ho! us all, to the sounds of .....HEAVY METAL MUSIC!!!!!! Yes, that's right, head banging, devil voice screaming, ear splitting, nite club, bikie pub music. Onya! Rydges.......that's the way to get repeat Xmas business.

It was relayed to the staff to do something about this abysmal state of affairs. But, this was met with vacuous looks......relaying unsaid thoughts of....'why, what's wrong with the music' Doh!!! Eventually it was turned down and then finally, off. However, when Xmas carols were requested the staff relayed there were none available. Seriously! you wouldn't have a function in this venue in a million years would you. You wouldn't know what you would end up with. Whoever the team is that does the functions, they really need to be sacked.

And, finally, just to add to the misery of this tale....the 'In/Out' doors for the wait staff to the kitchen banged LOUDLY, everrrrrryyy time a body went through it. Again a request was put in for someone to do something about it........but, no, the care factor was zero.

Overall, this experience was such A WASTE OF MONEY. We will NEVER EVER EVER come back to this place for a Xmas experience.

Lift your game Rydges. Locals and visitors deserve much, much, much better :(
Harsh critique, yes. Learn from it, evaluate and determine to do better. Gain a reputation for excellence, not below sub-standard. Good Luck.

Room Tip: This review is for a Xmas lunch in the Rydges convention centre only. They do not offer a way of rev...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stopgo5767
Rydges T, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, even though it was unfortunate that you did not enjoy your lunch we do appreciate your time in letting us know your feelings and highlighting some operational issues you experienced on the day.
In regards to the music, we did have a mishap where the wrong music was played instead of the carols for a while but once this was brought to the attention of the staff it was rectified.
My apologies that you did get seated near the waiter's station door as there was a lot of traffic in/out throughout the day as you stated with staff serving 200+ guests.
Our tea and coffee section has always been prepared for service during and after our guests are having dessert, my apologies that it was not operational during the time that you were eating your main meals. We do use vacuum seal pots for this service as they are of commercial grade and hold the flavour and heat of the beverages extremely well. These pots are double insulated so that the outside of them are not hot but the beverages inside are kept at a high temperature.
Our Christmas Day lunch has always been a seafood buffet with a variety of meats, salads and desserts and has always been advertised as this. The majority of our regular guests that book each year have always highly commented on the style we present and are extremely happy with it.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.
Trish- Rooms Division Manager

Travelers are raving about these Townsville hotels

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here while we were in transit in Townsville for the night and the rooms were of a good size, the bed was comfortable and everything was clean and quiet. It was less than $100 for the night and the location is very good, with numerous restaurants on the same road and only a short work to The Strand. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay in Townsville and be near good food and the water.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rydges T, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at Rydges Southbank Townsville. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights in Dec
Good location, south bank grill was closed due to it being Xmas holidays.
Bathroom was old school, no prices for mini bar, air condition wasn't the best, beds are extra comfy and you get a good nights sleep on them, car parking is also good either basement or above ground, pool is salt water and refreshing

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Rydges T, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for providing us with your feedback from your recent stay with us. Our Dreambeds are amazingly comfortable! I have followed up with our food and beverage team regarding the mini bar pricelist missing from your room. Our swimming pool is definitely refreshing for our guests due to the very warm weather we have been experiencing. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Melbourne
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I take some responsibility for the problems with the location of the apartment but I assumed (which you never should) that the apartments would be in the same complex as the hotel but they are in the street behind on the other side of the street. On each side are private residences and one has what sounds like a massive dog that barked most of the first 3 nights and it was the loudest deepest bark I have ever heard, not much the hotel can do about the dog I suppose but it does affect the enjoyment of your stay. The apartments themselves were clean and pretty well appointed, however the maintaince or lack of it let them down. The dining table leg was broken and quite dangerous, flywire door to the balcony was rickety and didn't close properly. All but one of the chairs on the balcony had ripped fabric and couldn't be used. An item that came to light due to the dog barking was the squeaky bedroom doors that were very loud and when I got up as the dog kept waking me, I would wake my wife closing the door and I mean it was really squeaky, haunted house squeaky! As it was Christmas Day I didn't try reception I went and bought some oil at a servo while going to lunch and did all the doors in the place that night. Again another issue that the hotel had no control over was another guest that decided entertain themselves by throwing fruit, empty drink bottles and other rubbish at our kids while they swam in the pool. These idiots also trashed the lifts and other areas of the complex again not much Rydges can do about fools like these. The pool and pool area was very small so we thought that it was better to go to the hotel and use the pool there that was much bigger and better and no idiots to contend with. If the maintance and furniture was fixed I would stay here again but bring ear plugs.

Room Tip: Noisy dog next door and use the hotel pool the apartment pool is tiny.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us at Rydges Southbank Townsville. Receiving feedback such as this allows us to to identify key issues and opportunities to improve guest satisfaction. I have reported tha maintenance issues to our department manager for immediate follow up. Our reception is open 24 hours. If you choose to stay with us again please don't hesistate to contact our friendly team direct at anytime of the day. The pool in the apartment complex is small however our main pool (which I am glad to hear you utilised) is also available for apartment guests. Once again, thank you for providing us with your feedback.