“Disappointing”

Rydges Southbank Townsville
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We are Townsville locals and have always looked at Rydges Southbank to be something 'special' and have told many people to stay there when they visit. So on my wedding night and the night before I decided to stay there as I thought it was the best Townsville had to offer.
It was fairly expensive as we were staying in the executive apartment so I'm expecting good stuff here!
The lift was atrocious.... I understand there are refurbishments happening but standing for 10 minutes in a wedding dress in a puddle of sticky something is not great. It was painful waiting for the lift and it was dirty and unclean,
The reception staff had no clue it was my wedding, despite when I booked I specified it was for my wedding and confirmed twice the previous two weeks it was for my wedding.
My sister ordered a 'surprise' bottle of champagne for myself and my husband for when we got home at 11pm... But it arrived at 11am and sat there for who knows how long.
The hair dryer in the bathroom burnt my hair when I tried to use it. (The elements were smoking) and when I tried to advise staff the phone for the reception ran out many times and the reception line was so long.
On the plus side the bed was nice, view nice and breakfast good.
I think if Rydges didn't charge exuberant amounts for their rooms I would be less disappointed. No longer recommending friends stay and I will not stay again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashe N
Rydges T, Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Ashe N, Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and I am more than happy to discuss the concerns in person with you. We have 24*7 Duty Managers plus a Wedding Department and I am surprised that none of the concerns were raised with them during your stay. Please get in touch with me directly for a suitable time and a contact number so I can call you.
Regards,
Saurav Prasad
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are of a good size. Nice linen. Bathroom needs a bit of a reno, but overall nice. We paid $111 per night for weekend nights inc full breakfast. Compare this with the hell hole we stayed in just done the road a few months back for around $130 with no breakfast included in the noisiest hotel I've stayed in. Well done Rydges. We will be back! Location to good restaurants is awesome!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Rydges T, Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and great to see that you had a wonderful stay with us. We do have some great accommodation packages that we offer and of course call the reception and they can surely guide you the best option. Since we are centrally located, which makes us the best placed in the area. I look forward to welcome you back with us.
Regards,
Saurav Prasad
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was a first for me at this particular motel & found it very satisfactory in all areas,parking was a bit of a challenge with the showroom truck but all good.The room was fresh, clean,staff were very helpful in reception and excess to shops an bars,great and would not have any hesitation in telling friends an sales personal.

Room Tip: Book early,and get there early, maybe parking could be min.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Rydges T, Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and its always great to see positive feedback. We do have complimentary open space and limited underground car park and my sincere apologies that you could not find a park. Yes, our reception and all staff are the asset and rest assured that all guest always receive the best customer service. I am glad that you had a comfortable sleep in our dream beds and I look forward to welcome you back. Regards, Saurav Prasad - Rooms Division Manager.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was my first time in Townsville & we had a room in the main hotel on Palmer St. The suite was spacious, and the ensuite was lovely, with a spa bath that was good for hubby & I. The adjustable slats from the bathroom to the sitting room allow you to watch the TV from the bath :)

The décor is modern and the bed was very comfortable (as I expect from Rydges). I liked the additional TV in the bed alcove!

The staff were friendly, and undertook to address the only issue we encountered upon check-out. the bar fridge compressor was on the way out; emitting a high-pitch squeal and leaking a little.

Apart from that minor issue, we had a great stay.

Parking was complimentary.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and its always great to see positive feedback and that you had a pleasant stay with us.We are surely receiving some great feedback after the rooms refurbishment and feel very proud to see such comments. I will also check your feedback with our maintenance team for the mini bar fridge noise and get it rectified. I look forward to welcome you back with us. Regards, Saurav Prasad - Rooms Division Manager.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The service was fantastic but we were quite surprised when told how to get to the apartments. We didnt know that they were a street away! Space in apartments was really good but unfortunately it was so knocked around that it had a real dirty/unclean feel about it. Linen on beds was crisp and clean so that helped with sleeping so that was a plus.

• Stayed: July 2013
Rydges T, Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Ellkur, Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and am glad that you like the space in our Apartments which is very popular. Apartments are just meters away from the hotel building that have been advertised in all the websites and reception staff are aware which is managed 24*7. We do take pride and take special care when looking after the apartments so we give the best service to the valued guest each time. We just do not compromise when it comes to cleanliness and service which I am glad you did notice that the beds and linen were comfortable and clean.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here again this year for the V8 weekend and again found the hotel to be a comfortable, clean, friendly place to stay for a few days. The rooms are fresh and more than adequate, the beds are super comfy. I don't agree with other posters on the hotel being "tired" in the public areas or the bathrooms not being refurbed. The fact is the hotel is old but I experience internally is a hotel that has attended to the things that are important to me when I stay - is the bed comfortable, can I get sport and movies on TV, does the shower work properly, is it quiet at night, is check in easy .... on all of these points the hotel gets top marks. In fact even though the shower is over the bath (not a fav of mine) the actual shower was brilliant with strong water pressure and plenty hot water! It is always easy to pick fault in hotels of this age, my feedback on this one is that they have done a super job of working with what they have and focusing on the things that guest actually needs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael Y

Dear Michael, Thank you for the recent stay and feedback and its always great to see positive and constructive feedback coming. I am glad that you had a great time here with us during the V8's and that is exactly we always aim for, that is - Service and Friendly place to stay. We are surely receiving some great feedback after the refurbishment and yes beds are the best in town that I can guarantee. We will be slowly moving towards the bathroom refurbishment and looking forward for that. I look forward to welcome you back with us. Regards, Saurav Prasad - Rooms Division Manager.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We recently spent a week in these two bedroom apartments in South Townsville, NOT the main Rydges Hotel on Palmer Street, but their two bedroom unit style apartments on the street behind, MacIlwraith Street. Walking distance to Palmer Street through the Rydges carpark, less than five minutes to the main Palmer Street dining areas, many restaurant options quite close. The units were spacious and comfortable, air-conditioned, self-catering if that is your preference and serviced daily if required. Ample parking underneath for car and visitor parking. Check-in is at the main Rydges on Palmer. Security was good, exterior lighting a little ordinary, quite dark outside, but is a very quiet area at night, so not a real problem. There are about twelve units in this three story complex, which has a lift, and security foyer. We found it to be a very quiet area, and is also within 5- 10 minute walking distance to the city center restaurants. Very comfortable and convenient for small families, and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Rydges T, Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent stay and valued feedback. Its always great to see positive feedback and am glad that you and your family had a great time in our popular Apartments. The Apartments are no doubt very spacious and we have been maintaining them thoroughly just so that all our guests have a wonderful and most importantly a comfortable stay. I look forward to welcome you back with us at Rydges. Regards, Saurav Prasad - Rooms Division Manager.