“Enjoyable stay”

Rydges Southbank Townsville
Ranked #29 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Whilst not the trendiest, most modern or ritzy hotel, this establishment offers a dependable, economic stay in a great location in Townsville. Buffet Breakfast is especially worthwhile.

If you are lucky you may even snag a park underneath.

• Stayed: March 2013
Rydges T, General Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Trendy I guess we are not (except for our new restaurant). Dependable, absolutely! Can I add friendly, comfortable, warm and inviting? Not Modern? Well there are more modern properties in town but our new WIFI service is modern. In fact its the best hotel technology you can get in Australia right now and I'd bet the quickest in Townsville. And the restaurant, its modern. especially the new breakfast concept which I'm glad you enjoyed.
Thanks for the review Steve, I hope we see you back here soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights for a business trip, decided to get some more Rydges points as I usually stay at Seagulls. I stayed in a standard room on the 4th floor, and it is so typical Rydges in terms of layout. The room was furnished ok, the bed was fantastic, TV worked, Air con was effective, bathroom very clean, so was quite happy and would certainly stay again next time.
The breakfast was included in the price, and again typical Rydges, very good buffet style.
I had dinner twice, expensive, but food was excellent. Use your Rydges card and get 20% discount, and happy hour drinks 5 - 7pm also half price.
Location is great, plenty of restaurants and yacht club nearby for choice, easy walk to the city.
Staff were friendly, free parking in basement car park. So will definately stay next time without any hesitation

Room Tip: 4th floor room was nice and quiet
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Rydges T, General Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thanks for your Feedback, its great to see our guests taking full advantage of their priority guest membership. 10% off our best rate, 20% off your dinner bill and totally free to join really you can't go wrong!
We look forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have stayed here previously, unfortunately I had forgotten condition of hotel. It is in dire need of refurnishing. My first room was so dirty, that I had to be moved, there was food all over the floor, how room service had been thru was amazing!
Good location, close to restaraunts, but next time will definitely stay over on the Strand, cleaner area.

2  Thank Diane A
Rydges T, General Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

There can be no compromise when it comes to cleaning and it is very disappointing that your stay got off to such a bad start. We have spoken with the staff member regarding the potato chips that had not been vacuumed in your room. It does appear to have been accidental oversight on their part and one, that following our discussion, should not happen again. I am glad however that the team moved you to another room straight away.
Its disappointing you found the hotel condition not to your liking. Considerable works were completed in August including new carpet, paint, built-in robes, lighting, bed heads and upholstery. The restaurant has also had an entire makeover, perhaps you didn't head in there?
We've certainly taken note of your comments, apologies again for the inconvenience you encountered.
Regards,

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed here overnight for a business a business function and was staying in a standard room, staff were great and helpful and the room was well furnished. The only down side was the aircon was set to 23 but it was very cold so either it is on or off and the bathroom a little dabreakfast was great.ted. Service was great and

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
RMcGufficke, General Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thanks for your feedback, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. Rooms have recently been refurbished and bathrooms are in the planning phase now. Its great you enjoyed breakfast, we've been receiving fantastic comments since launching our new concept, its nice to know we're on the right track.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel is in a good location with lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel breakfast was great! That's where the good news ends. Supposedly the rooms had been remodeled, and by remodeled I think they meant that they had put new flat screen televisions in the rooms, and there were new fridges. The bathrooms are old and tiny. There is no way to take a shower without getting the entire bathroom wet, and because of the humidity the bathrooms stayed wet for hours. The carpet was gross, there was a huge white stain on the floor by the side of the bed and I'm glad I don't know what it was. All of the furniture is old also. The air-con was worthless. There was no thermostat. It was either on or off. So freezing or gross and humid. So we had to constantly turn it off and on which was fun. Someone else in our group didn't have air-con for our entire stay which I'm sure was not enjoyable. Also the hotel staff was disappointing. There was a man at the front desk that several people in my group had a difficult time with. He was very rude and abrupt for no reason. He made me feel like a jerk for wanting to use the services that were included in our hotel price. And the internet-so incredibly slow, it was worthless. And my least favorite part about the stay was that at 6:45am, a truck showed up I think to deliver food to the hotel, twice during my stay. It was very unpleasant to hear that trucks engine idling for so long so early in the morning. If I ever return to Townsville I will be staying some where else, no doubt about it.

1  Thank travel_work_love

Its disappointing that you encountered so many issues during your stay. We are a little surprised as we did receive positive feedback from your tour leader on departure and again when we followed up with him after receiving your review. We did not receive any maintenance requests matching those you have spoken about, so any further insight you could provide would be much appreciated.
Most disappointing of all is your feedback regarding our staff. As you can see from previous reviews service is a stand out quality of the hotel experience. In the interest of maintaining these standards we will discuss your comments in great detail with the staff member in question to ensure swift improvement for future guests.
I am sorry that your stay failed to meet expectation and thank you for providing us with feedback which we can use to ensure improvement for future guests.
Regards,

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had a very special reason for being in Townsville. Staying at the Rydges supplemented the enjoyment. The room was very comfortable, bed and temperature wise, the staff were very friendly and supportive especially at breakfast time. The spread available for breakfast was imaginitive, well prepared and wholesome having included a wide variety of fruits.
I was most impressed with the 'juice shots' and the availability of a juicer and variety of fruit and vegies for personal choice of juice. The rate was very affordable. Thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms in the east are facing the water. My room was very roomy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
RMcGufficke, General Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thanks for your feedback Liesl. Our team are very excited about the new breakfast concept and have been trying their best to showcase Townsville produce, particularly in the juice shots. Bowen mangoes and Lychees, Dragonfuit we even had a few cherries this week. Locals up here don't talk in years, they talk in Mango seasons!
We're glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Was invited here for Business Breakfast function Not good at all Most hot dishes where cold and selection was very basic Bacon Eggs Sausage Not much choice for health eating Staff just didn't give a dam and where more interested in chatting amongst themselves while guest waited Would not recommend for any function after seeing this Bad

1  Thank GNinja357

I agree selection is great in any menu and understand your disappointment. What you need to understand, is the menu choices for the business breakfast you attended were made by the business who hosted it. We can provide our recommendations, and we offer organisers to nominate any specific dietary requirements but at the end of the day it is not our decision.
Our food is cooked to order and sent straight from the kitchen. We cook our food to timelines as requested by the organiser. Unfortunately if those timelines are not adhered to, 50+ breakfasts can go cold very quickly. Its disappointing your food was cold, a 15 minute delay will impact the quality of any meal.
With regards to staffing, we were under strict instruction to drop food in the room only. No service to tables once guests were inside. Again, not our recommendation, but a decision we had to adhere too.
The key to any successful feedback is that it is specific and direct. Its disappointing that you couldn't bring us this feedback whilst here or to the event planner? Whats more disappointing is your opinion of our service and product is tarnished for reasons out of our control and you've vented those reasons in a public forum.
If you would discuss your experience further, we'd love to hear from you.