“where can i buy one of those beds?”
Review of Mercure Townsville

Mercure Townsville
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 10, 2010

we had to be in Townsville for the weekend and needed a hotel conveniently located to shopping centres and airport. Mercure Inn came up with a good rate on wotif.
For $150 we had a superior room (which i think is the same as the standard room, but has been renovated and some added features like a king bed instead of a queen and a bigger tv).
The room was not the biggest but spotlessly clean, the tv was indeed big with an enormous selection of inhouse movies for $14.95 (lots of new releases, ended up watching SATC2). The complimentary shower gel and body lotion was beautiful and i actually used them instead of just taking them home and sticking them in a drawer.
But most impressed we were with the bed. Man was that comfy, we did not want to get out of it!
There were 2 weddings on at the night we stayed both in function rooms close to our room but we didn't have any inconvenience from them, bar staff in the evening was very friendly (as was breakfast staff), and when asking for a place to smoke in the eve we were pointed to a lovely little undercover area with sofas and a water feature where we could bring our drinks (and breakfast coffees) what a difference to playing the pariah in the parking lot! Reception staff was also very accommodating, checking flight arrival times and tracking down my long lost A-Club number.
Dinner menu looked good, and good value, though we didn't eat in due to obligations out, will definitely consider next time. Massive parking area, easy access, would most definitely stay again!
(For those planning to stay around longer there is also a beautiful and big! resort style pool)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 13, 2010

This is a nice resort style property but not really designed for business travelers.

The room had no full length hanging space. I needed to hang my trousers over the shower screen (at least they had hangers). There was no chair to watch TV. The desk space was tight and they don't have mini-bars so every drink requires a call to room service.

It might be OK for a budget holiday but not up to the normal Accor standard.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AussieStrategist
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We stayed one night after visiting friends in Townsville. Waited for ages for our meal and watch those who arrived after us get there's eat and go. When we complained, we were told that the kitchen was busy. When it finally arrived we had no complaints. The rooms were small, standard motel style rooms. But we were woken by the shower pipes of the room next door at 6.30am. Very very noisy. All in all, a stay to forget. Wld def. recommend you look for somewhere else unless you are staying for a wedding or conference.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I took a chance and booked the "Wot If Mystery Room" and got a great price at the Mercure Inn. I assumed that when it said the hotel was located in Townsville that the hotel would be in Townsville City. It's somewhat out of the city (around $17 in a taxi).

Nevertheless, the front desk staff were excellent and let me check in early. Without prompting they asked what time I wanted a cab booked (given the location this may be a common request). In my room I played with the TV and couldn't get the picture back - the cleaner happily helped me.

The room was great - modern and had everything I needed.

However, the hotel is located a fair way out of the city centre so if you don't want to dine at the hotel and you want to walk to dinner your choices are limited to every takeaway option you can imagine - right next door.

Breakfast at the hotel is fairly pricey ($25 for the buffet).

Overall, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Well presented, perfectly setup for weddings, functions or conferences. But that is also the problem. Our bedroom was literally 8m away from the main function room (where the walls are made of open slats). There was a wedding reception one night and a dress up party another night of our 3 night stay. I was dog tired and planning to get up at 5.30am both mornings to do adventure activities out of town. I thought I'd be able to sleep though the noise. Not a chance! Once the music stopped at midnight, then the cleaning started, and further cleaning was done early the next morning. Why they would sell these rooms at $200/n a pop to anyone other than guests of the function is beyond me. Spent the weekend VERY tired. The restaurant didn't inspire us, but we ordered 2 cocktails one night at the bar that were disappointing. The pool looked nice, if you didn't mind swimming with an audience at the restaurant / bar (put me off though). Staff were friendly and helpful, and we had a nice game of tennis. Our room had been recently renovated, with a new bathroom. Ultimately I couldn't recommend staying here on a weekend if you plan to sleep.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travellynita
Reviewed April 28, 2010

This hotel is awesome! The pool is amazing with a cool bar side area overlooking the pool. The grounds are also very lush and green. The room we stayed in was modern and had a nice balcony overlooking the lake.

The only downside I found to this place was the knowledge of the staff. I asked the lady at reception if they had any markets on in or around Townsville, she said no. I later found out from a local that there is markets every Sunday morning, which we ended up going to. My parter and I one night went to reception to wait for the bus that takes you out to Dairy Farmers Stadium (we did this 2 years ago). My partner asked the lady at reception if the bus still comes here, she said yes. So we sat there and waited and waited. Half an hour passed. Then a guest who was also going to Dairy Farmers Stadium told us the bus doesn't come here anymore.. you need to get it from around the corner!
Apart from those 2 mishaps I found this place to be great.

It is a little bit out of town, about a $13 cab ride so it would be best to hire a car unless you want to taxi or bus it everywhere.

Also the buffet breakfast here is very expensive $25 a person. We had it one morning and then thought it was not worth the $50 for the both of us and ate elsewhere for breakfast for the rest of our stay.

If you are looking for a tropical relaxed place to stay that isn't smack bang in the middle of Towsville I would recommend this place. Apparently their pool is the biggest in Townsville too.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Overall, this was a nice place - smallish but compact room, with great water (lake) view - I was here for work, but found the location very far from town (reception said $10 taxi, but was $20!). The pool was beautiful, and there was several fast food places nearby.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business