“Wedding weekend away”

GreenLeadersGold level
Mackay
“Wedding weekend away”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We arrived and were able to check in early which was great. We opened the door of our room to be overwhelmed by the smell of chlorine or bleach. It was neat enough for one night.
At the wedding buffet we were table 6 so not too far down the list in order of service we saw one of the salads was completely empty. We told one of the men serving the meat who replied oh well.
In the morning we paid $100 for a buffet breakfast but the bakery items were stale, No variety of yoghurts just mango and the fruit looked like it had been cut days ago. Needless to say we wish we would have taken our $100 elsewhere for breakfast.
Final comment would be is i think our room may have had an ifestation of ants. We took a piece of wedding cake to enjoy the next day but it was absolutely crawling with ants in the morning.
For the price we got the room for and the ease of staying where the wedding was it was great but i would probably look elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MercureTownsville, Manager at Mercure Townsville, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Townsville, without your feedback we would be unable to improve our operations.

We like to consider weddings as our specialty, we where recently announced as the runner up for the Australian Bridal Industry Awards, and in 2011 the Mercure Townsville won this award. This is why your feedback will be passed onto our executive chef, as this is not the service that the Mercure Townsville is known for.

Our Restaurant team prides themselves on having one of the best buffet breakfasts in Townsville. We have just recently upgraded the whole buffet, with new Bain Marie that keeps all the hot food at 80 degrees. We also offer an omelets station on weekends and a build your own yogurt-bar, with natural yogurt and a large selection of fruits and nuts.

The Mercure is subject to regular pest inspections, during this inspection the pest controller will inspect the hotel and use environmentally friendly procedures when they deem necessary. I will pass your comments onto your Chief Engineer so we can look at our current pest control procedures.

Thank you for your feedback once again. I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure in the future to show, you this is not the standard of service expected at the Mercure.

Mercure Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I found my stay at the mercure in Townsville very easy. I was visiting for family reasons and was on a very quick turn around. The mercure is very easy to access from the airport and the service was very good. The only negative thing I have to say is that the heat pump blows directly across the bed and therefore across me creating a draught.

All else during the stay was great and I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank angemorley
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. At the Mercure we pride ourselves on our services standards, we try to devote ourselves to our guests and offer a yes I can attitude to very request. We have one of the best locations in Townsville we are close to major shopping centers and the Airport, for this reason we car very popular with corporate and leisure guests. We look forward to welcoming you back the Mercure.

Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is my second stay at this particular hotel. This time I was little more disappointed. On my second night, I ordered food from room service. As it was quite a large portion, I decided I would let what I didn't eat cool down, and then put it in the fridge for later. Only a short time later, when I went to put it in the fridge, the food was absolutely covered with ants. Never before have I ever encountered such an issue at a hotel. Leaving room service outside the room also does not seem to be a great idea, as the animals seem to get at it right away - I heard (and saw) this happening several times with neighbouring rooms.
The housekeeping in general however, was good. I always received fresh towels and amenities. The bed was very large and comfortable, and I was grateful for a choice in different kinds of pillows.
The shower temperature would change randomly without my even touching the handle, which resulted in me almost burning myself at one point when the water turned incredibly hot.
I was prepared to pay for in-room internet, as I discovered during my last stay that internet was not included in the cost of the room. However, the in-room internet was not working, which according to the hotel staff, was a problem across the entire hotel. Although the staff were kind enough to provide me with updates regarding this, the lack of in-room internet to work on other projects was very frustrating.
This hotel has promise, but until some proper upgrades are done, this hotel would not be my first choice pick the next time I am in Townsville.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our property; through your feedback we are able to improve the whole hotel operations.

The Mercure Townsville has a scheduled pest control program; this program is designed to not harm the local wildlife whilst making sure guest comfort is not effected also. However due to the Townsville tropical weather when there is consistent rain it is common for ants to seek dry ground. I will pass on your comments to the executive housekeeper and chief engineer, so we can explore some new policies to deal with this issue.

The Mercure was experiencing an issue with the in-room internet, this issue required the hotel internet provider to work through, and this has now been resolved. In reception we do offer a complementary 30 minutes of internet access, which was operational during your stay.

I would like to apologies as your experiences did not meet your expectations, and I hope that we can welcome you back to the Mercure Townsville in the future to show you that your issues have been resolved.

Far North Queensland
Reviewed July 20, 2012

No hot water, noisy room, running toilet, incorrect mini-bar charge......
We booked a quiet room, but was given a room at the beginning of a row. It was very noisy until quite late as people moved along the wooden walkways. The toilet was hard to shut off and it took quite a bit of jiggling to stop the water flow after flushing. After a cold shower, we reported no hot water to reception in the early evening . They were aware of the problem and said it was being fixed. They next morning there was still no hot water and when we advised them of this at check out they didn't offer any apology, refund or discount. Sent two emails to the front desk manager who finally replied offering a 50% refund on our room. Our credit card was also charged after checkout for goods taken from the mini bar, which we didn't use. This was refunded after we brought it to their attention by email.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sleepy668
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 8, 2012

As a member of the Accor Advantage Plus programme and a regular frequenter of Novotel / Mercure hotels everywhere (a dozen in the last month or so) - I can safely say that this hotel needs to seriously rethink their options. The rooms were poorly sign-posted (wandered around looking for the room!), smelly (really stank of bleach!), falling apart, with tired old furniture, saggy beds, rotten pillows and that cheap motor-inn feel everywhere. The drunked louts in the same wing kept everyone awake all night (paper thin walls!) and the bathrooms, which lacked ANY working ventillation (open window didn't solve it!), were horrible to use.

Breakfast was amateur hour (despite the usually excellent Accor buffet formula) - These guys couldn't even get that right. I was amused that they'd even removed proper coffee from the breakfast - so you had to pay for this additionally (unlike all of the other Mercure's I've stayed at). Checkout was the only thing I looked forward to. Such an amazing contrast to amazing hotels in the region like the Mercure in Cairs which is simply stunning. Until this hotel gets a COMPLETE make-over, it's for the AVOID list. Find an alternative Mercure that's had the treatment.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank BusyNationalTravel
, Manager at Mercure Townsville, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback. Through this type of honest feedback we can better our services to our guests. I would like to apologise, as your experience at the Mercure did not meet your expectations.

At the Mercure Townsville we pride ourselves on our service standards; this branches to all aspects of the hotel, whether it is from Celsius restaurant to the room cleanliness.

We consider the Mercure Townsville breakfast to be one of the best buffet breakfasts available in Townsville, with omelet stations and a board variety of breakfast options. Your comment regarding the breakfast quality has been refunded to our Executive Chef & Restaurant Manager; we will be reviewing our breakfast process.

We have also very recently upgraded some of the room features in the rooms, such as every room has had an upgraded plasma television installed. We are all trying to find new ways to make our hotel rooms look fresh and revitalized.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and offer my sincerest apologies that your experience did not meet your expectation of the Mercure Townsville. I hope we will afford use the opportunity to change your option of the Mercure Townsville, and welcome you in the future.

Mercure Teams
Maryborough, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The room was right next to a very busy main road
There was no hot water it was warm at best , even after bringing this to staff attention nothing was done to fix the issue.
When we left they did reduce the account as some compensation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SRB465
, Manager at Mercure Townsville, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure Townsville. Please accept my appolgise for the issue with the hot water during your stay.

This issue with the hot water has been fixed, after you brought this to your attention. I would like to thank you for this.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and offer my apologies for the water issue. I hope we will afford us the opportunity to change your option of the Mercure Townsville, and welcome you in the future.