“value for money”

Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
wollongong nsw, australia
“value for money”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

at first we thought this motel was a bit out of the way but once we discovered just where we were it was only a short walk to almost everything. owners were more than helpful, breakfast in the dining room was adequate, rooms clean & well kept, pool so nice & relaxing, would stay again when in townsville.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I have stayed at the Robert Towns several times now.
The rooms are always clean and comfortable and the hosts always make you welcome, and treat you as a friend.
If you want a quiet hotel in Townsville at a reasonable rate, then I would thoroughly recommend you try it.

Room Tip: Any of the upstairs rooms will be a little quieter, but as it is not on a busy road, it will not mak...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Cairns
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed here once again when travelling to Townsville. The rooms are always clean and of a good size. You can walk to town and the Strand. We were going to the Cowboys home game so it is easy to walk to the Cowboys Leagues Club and catch the bus to the ground. Like all motels you rely on the other occupants to do the right thing and keep the noise down. This visit a group came back to their rooms very late and decided to talk in the carpark. You are paying for a 4 star motel and that's what you get. We will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed there while I had business I'n Townsville the room was so nice and clean and tidy and I tell you what the staff now you couldn't find a more helpful Bunch of people always so helpful. The young girl on the desk was amazing with helping me make my way around town-and so friendly and very polite. Now the food I didn't even try any were else I'n town as the meals and the service was also amazing... Great place to stay and I won't even bother looking any were else next time I'm I'n Townsville. And buy the way to the one of the other reviews who go's on holiday sits I'n the gym how bout live a little... Great stay

• Stayed April 2011
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Ok if you are on a budget, not really my thing. An old motor inn, parking was easy outside unit, but I think this place would be better as a building site. Small noisy rooms you can hear every car as it zooms up the hill outside.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank jsnothome
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 5, 2011

This was the first time that I have had to stay in a motel during a work trip. The travel arrangements were made by the company I work for and not myself. In actual fact this was the first time I had ever stayed in a motel.

I understand that there is a market for this type of accommodation but I'm not sure if it's the business traveler market. I am unable from experience to compare this motel to any other motels, and I think it would be unfair to try and compare this motel with other business hotels that I have stayed in, so I've tried to stick to the basics. With this in mind I have compiled my review.

One night stay in room 37, standard queen room.

In my opinion the motel is ok, central location and genuinely good staff. Various facilities, including an onsite restaurant.

The motel design is typical of an older style motel, rectangular complex with the carpark in the middle, all rooms have direct access to the carpark, and as far as I could see all rooms, windows and doors, faced the carpark.

The room was clean and a decent size. Everything was in working order, the TV, the lights, the shower, the air con, the door lock etc..

I found the bedding including the pillows to be too soft for me, this hindered sleep quality but in addition to this my sleep was interrupted throughout the night because of noise coming from outside my room, people talking and cars arriving and leaving from the carpark.

The bathroom was a decent size, but the mirror was positioned very low, I'm 180cm tall and I found the mirror much too low. I had to almost place my elbows on the basin just to get low enough to see myself in the mirror.

The windows did not have net curtains, only thick curtains that blocked out all light, when opened there was no privacy. Dificult to allow some natural sun light into the room in the morning.

The ironing board cover was very lose fitting, it would not stay in place and was heavily stained, this became a point of frustration for me as I tried to iron my collared shirt.

The "fitness centre" was ok, not great. The equipment consisted of one swiss ball, one rowing machine, one bike, one cross trainer and some weights. Enough equipment for a workout, if desperate to have one.

The staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. It is the friendly candid nature of the staff that I remember the most and in my opinion it is probably the biggest asset this motel has.

It is not the type of accommodation that I would recommend to business associates or family and friends. It just did not provide the sleep quailty that I believe is essential. I also believe that other hotels in the area may represent better value, even if you do have pay a little bit extra.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Pablo_M
leicester
Reviewed February 1, 2010

Good clean room - excellent breakfast and very helpful friendly staff

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple