“Modern apartments”

Central Holborn Apartments
Brisbane
“Modern apartments”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Our stay was comfortable, and we found the apartments to be clean, tidy and modern. Access to the city centre was well within walking distance (about 1km) and this was handy also.
My only (small) disappointment was that some of the basics were not provided. In our 2 bedroom apartment, we found it to be missing some basic items in the kitchen – only 1 knife for food preparation, an over-used cutting board, no salt and pepper. Also I couldn’t find any pegs, so I needed to purchase some of these items myself when shopping.

We otherwise enjoyed our stay in Townsville and found Holborn Q to be a secure, modern apartment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Western Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Stayed here with 4 adults and 1 baby. Was clean, if not a bit clinical - and was hard to locate, though if you had a print out of the building you couldn't miss it really. Great views from the top floor facing south. I must admit I lost a bit of sleep worrying about the glass paneled balcony with our 1 year old. Having 2 bathrooms was fantastic. Kitchen was well appointed. We didn't have towels - I think because they let us check in at 11am! A call to the caretaker after hours saw us promptly provided with towels for all of us. Likewise, we were after a couple of spare blankets and got them as well - all you have to do is ask I guess. Outdoor setting was great, but why only have 1 single chair and a 2 seater lounge for potentially 4 adults? Rooms on the north side are lit by the outside balcony lighting during the night, so our baby kept waking up thinking it was morning, which meant for a poor couple of nights sleep for his parents...
Townsville is a nice city to spend a couple of days, and Holborn on Q is secure and modern apartment style accommodation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mezzagirl
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Well, we booked a few weeks before coming.
Arrived after 4pm so had to phone to get in - no problem.
The place was clean, bare and clinical. Nice balcony though.
The showers were great, the beds not so, hard.
The kitchen fine, BUT I hate threatening messages that tell us that if it is not cleaned by us then there may be at least a $50 charge.
The lounge sofa was unclean and quite frankly horrible.
No instructions re the air conditioning or the fans.
Noisy place to be (7th floor) and the view was good on accassions but not when tide out.
The pool is fine, cold, but what do you expect?
Staff, ok I guess , invisible really.
All in all, may come back, but not first choice!
Ok, Ok, average.

Room Tip: Book it before you come, no chance to change when you get there
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Noosaville
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My wife and I were planning a quick visit to Townsville to visit our son and his family and through the purchase of a special promotional discount voucher we aquired a three night stay at the Holborn Apartments.
We had a one bedroom unit on the third floor with views towards the city. There is a large block of land next to these apartments and I hope that oneday the views are not built out.
Our room was wonderful. Clean, spacious and fitted out with a fully functional kitchen. The bed was king size and extremely comfortable. The bathroom is reasonably large and there are new washing andf drying machines installed. Parking is available in the basement and the lifts are quick and efficient. Only negative is that there are no luggage trolleys available so you have to manhandle all your luggage from your car to your room in multiply little trips.
We felt completely at home and would have loved to have stayed longer. We will definitly use the Holborn Apartments on out next visit to Townsville. LOVED IT.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank markrus
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Q Resorts is moving up. On my last stay I utilised the conference facilities - it is a great room with all you need. The shops below look like they are being filled which is great. I stay here every time I'm in Townsville and have not been disappointed by the service and the apartments. Definately be back

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Travellerbee37
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Well, to start off the trip we had just driven over 4 hours from Cairns and took an hour driving up and down Flinders street trying to find the place. Had a GPS and the apartments were still not where the mark was! Called the reception to be transferred to an after hours line (it was 4.30pm on a Saturday) and the woman who answered the phone said she wasn't even in Townsville and had 'heard it was hard to find but there wasnt much she could do not being there'!

When we finally found the place, reception was closed and we called the after hours line where we were given our instructions to get our key (one key between the 4 people we booked and paid for). Our room was filthy when we entered. The kitched cupboards were greasy and there was no tea towel. The pots/pans/cutlery/cups were disgusting. Lipstick marks around the rims and sticky left over coffee pooled in the bases of mugs - all in the cupboard though so supposed to be clean! One bin liner for a tiny bin to be used over 3 days.

The location was at least a 20min powerwalk from the middle of town and even further from the lovely cafes etc. located on the otherside of the river. 10min drive to get to them. As there were four of us travelling, myself and partner, as well as his two male friends we had requested one queen and 2 singles. This request was fine on the phone at the time of booking over a month in advance. I called up to complain about the bedding arraingments as we had been given 2 queen sized beds. I told the night reception woman that we had one couple and two singles, and it wasn't really appropriate to share...her response was that were the two single people men or women...I responded men. She commented that 'maybe you should make it like a camping experience, you know, top and tail'. I couldn't believe it! Unfortunately we did not pay $600 a night for a "camping experience".

The carpets were stained, the air-con didn't work properly, the couches were absolutely nothing like they are in the photos. Tiny!! and hard. The walls had black scuff marks all over them and the shower was putrid. Soap scum and mold everywhere. There was a bulb of garlic on the living room floor. I cannot imagine how a cleaner would have missed, not a clove, but a whole bulb of garlic in the middle of the living room floor!

The only good thing about the room was the view - we were on the 8th floor though. Friends of ours stayed on the 2nd floor and had a nice look over nothing more than rubble from a construction site and a carpark.

There were no blankets on the beds, lack of towels, cloths for the kitchen, tea towels etc. I slept with no fan or air con on and was still freezing under the thin white sheet on the bed.

I cannot begin to explain my disappointment with these apartments. If you are looking for a nice place to stay in townsville the go for the OAKS. It is leaps and bounds ahead of Holborn. Staying here completely ruined our holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bell092
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Once again I had a fantastic stay. The rates are so inexpensive for what Q Holborn offers. The apartment was clean and tidy and the staff were lovely. This is definitely my choice for when I come to Townsville

• Stayed March 2012