“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I made a booking for a friend's 30th Birthday on Saturday night at Southbank Grill as I had frequented it recently and enjoyed the experience. On Saturday night this was not to be the case. I asked the waiter if I could change the menu and order reef fish, mash and béarnaise sauce (all items are on the menu) the waiter informed me that he would get beaten by Jason the chef if he was asked to change any meal. I requested him to ask as I had recently ordered this meal at this restaurant less than three weeks ago. The waiter came back and told me ‘no it was not possible, as the chef will not change the standard meal and can’t charge appropriately'. He stated I would not be able to have the meal I ordered on the one plate! I told him I would just have the entrée I ordered. One of the other guests (who is also a regular diner) was not happy with this response (as this is supposed to be a fine dining restaurant), he asked another one of the waitresses if they could ask the chef again and stated that if it is not possible we would leave. Within 30 seconds the original waiter came out and stated that 'the chef is more than happy for us to leave' to which we (all 10) of us left. We had already spent over $100 on drinks and breads that we were not charged for. As we were leaving the wait staff expressed their embarrassment at the chef’s unwillingness to make a simple meal when most of the menu is in fact structured in that fashion. I have previously enjoyed this restaurants ambience and food quality, but I am afraid they have lost a number of their regular customers with this display on Saturday night.

1  Thank N0Kitchen

Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Went here last week with my partner. Great service, never went without anything. Just after arival had a free apitiser which while it was only small it was free and amazing. The entre calamari was delicious and the mains were great. Resonably priced for townsville considering the quality of the meal.

Rydges T, Rooms Division Manager at Southbank Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2014

It's always nice to hear that someone else other than me enjoyed the Calamari! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I really enjoyed the freshly caught wild fish
Steaks are ok though not as great as it claims to be
Good friendly service
Will come back for sure

Thanks for the great feedback! Look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Regards,
Trish

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I can't say a single bad word about Southbank Grill! We tried SBG out because we were sick of overpriced below average steaks. Our steak was perfect, mouth watering, AMAZING... the list goes on! Also the waitress was lovely and very helpful. We never had to ask for anything she was always one step ahead of us. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

Great to hear! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We had dined at the Southbank a few times, but found the service and meals of the highest quality. Friendly staff, did make the time spent there very relaxing6 and enjoyable. Could not fault it.

1  Thank Floyderama