Oaks Gateway Suites
Rocks Guesthouse(Townsville)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
View Hotel
All reviewspalmer streetgreat locationacross the bridgeribs and rumpsbedroom apartmentshort walkfull kitchennice apartmentreception stafflarge balconywould stay againrestaurant stripmagnetic islandper daybars and restaurantswashing machine and dryergreat place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We wanted something a little different during a short stay, within the tropical city of Townsville.
As we had several properties we were looking at, we eventually narrowed the choice down to the Oaks Gateway on Palmer...and we weren't disappointed. In fact, very pleasantly surprised.
Even from the initial enquiry, to the booking, to the arrival & check-in, the staff were great. Although the property is located right next to a busy road & the balcony was quite close to the road, although the view was facing onto Ross Creek, it was actually quite quiet....and when the balcony door to the room was closed, it was quieter still. Even with the entertainment precinct of Flinders Street East across the tranquil Ross Creek, the noise volume was very minimal.
The view from the balcony over looked the nearby Ross Creek, but not every room will have similiar views. Depending on which direction your room/ balcony is facing, but I have an idea, most of the views are quite pleasant.
The room was spacious & clean with various chairs to relax within....something you sometimes don't find to often of, within some rooms. The bed was also very relaxing & you were ensured of a good night's sleep, after exploring the surrounds of Townsville & attractions throughout the day.
With the up-grade of the Palmer St precinct, there are many accessible Restaurants & Cafes around the area....great for Breakfast as well as Dinner. Although the property doesn't have a restaurant themselves, most are within a short walking distance.
We found our stay, pleasant & comfortable & even enjoyed the scenery from our balcony over a cuppa.
It is a fairly new property and being close to the nearby major road, depending on which room you receive, is not everyone's cuppa, but we were overall pleased with the property.

Room Tip: Maybe a Water View....if available.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Gateway Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

We very much appreciate your review of Oaks Gateway on Palmer. I am sure that future guests will find your comments helpful!

It is great to read that your stay was an enjoyable one. We look forward to seeing you at one of our Oaks Hotels or Resorts soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

....my 2 night stay was marred by a real bugbear of mine. Why do hotels have to charge rates for internet provision that are bordering on piracy?
This is a modern, new hotel with all you need in a room..OK, so there aren't many good views of Townsville from the hotel but that's just Townsville. Carpark, check. Apart from check-in/out I didn't meet the staff and they were courteous and efficient. It has a small pool and a gym with 3 / 4 machines. For me, when I travel on business I tend to do extra work in the evenings and often need to check and answer emails. I plug in and get the internet service page and nearly faint at the prices they charge. Sadly I trot to Maccas and get a coffee and sundae to justify my hour visit.
Yes, I could get a mobile internet dongle thingy contract but hang on! Rydges in Gladstone provide FREE internet, Sebel Cairns similar, even some of Mackay's infamous Nebo Rd bedbug circuses provide free wi-fi.
In this era there isn't any excuse for the blatant rip off rates charged and each time I come across such a hotel I cross them off my list.
Get with it hotel people!

ps owners need to grease the screechy car park roller door. Every time I used it I felt incredibly guilty for disturbing the occupants of the Mercure apartments opposite

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank carl m
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Gateway Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

We appreciate your honest feedback regarding your stay at Oaks Gateway on Palmer.

We are glad to read that the apartment allocated to you was suitable for your needs.

We will take on board your comments regarding internet charges and we will continue to look for opportunities to ensure we can offer the best rates for our guests.

We do hope you will consider staying at Oaks Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Reviewed October 15, 2011

We stayed for three nights in a two bedroom apartment. The apartment is relatively new so is in good order, although like many (most?) new apartments I have stayed in recently it is filled with 'builder special' fixtures which are already starting to fall apart here.

So the positives, it is very central to restaurants and a few of the attractions like the Museum. The apartment was of reasonable size with good air conditioning and fans. The pool was really good and the kiddies pool at 70cm was the right depth for toddlers. The kitchen was good with enough equipment to cook meals and the dining table was reasonably large. Each floor has a rubbish chute.

Some negatives, it is on the main road so if traffic noise is an issue for you might give it a miss (although didn't here anything much with the windows closed). No fly screens. The bathrooms are very small and I did hit the door or the towel rail on more than one occasion. Carpet was a little on the grubby side.

Overall would stay again.

Room Tip: A room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jpm_105
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Gateway Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Thank you for your review of Oaks Gateway on Palmer. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the property to be well located to restaurants and attractions. We would love the opportunity to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

We had a two bedroom apartment which was nice enough, however was at the end of the building right next to a dual carriageway so was quite noisy (Apt 301).
The balcony was lovely and caught the sun but we didn't use it other than drying our bathers due to the traffic noise.
I did ask at the front desk if we could be moved, but apparently there were no other 2 bedrooms available!
The infinity pool was overlooking the CBD and river but the surrounds were concrete and had no shade.
The staff at the front desk were courteous but unhelpful - leaving one person to do all the customer interface when there were two others in the offices behind reception.
I think we may have had a different impression of this hotel if we were in another room.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank robbsie
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Gateway Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Thank you for posting your review. We are disappointed to read that there were issues during your stay that impacted on your enjoyment of our property. We have passed your comments onto the Hotel Manager to address. We hope you may choose to stay with us again and will experience a more pleasant stay.

Reviewed September 27, 2011

I stayed in a 1-Bedroom Apartment. There was a slight delay at check in when I double checked that a cot had been set up in our room. It hadn't but the reception staff were wonderful and had it sorted out before we had even got to our room. Our room was very clean, modern and well equipped with laundry and kitchen items. Our room overlooked Palmer Street which was ok but I would imagine that the rooms with a view overlooking the river would be better. The complex is very central to restaurants but is a 10 minute walk to The Strand (water front) and Ferries to Magnetic Island.

Room Tip: Request a view of the river.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AussieBSquared
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Gateway Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

We appreciate your kind words regarding your stay with us at Oaks Gateway on Palmer.

It is lovely to read that the reception staff were able to assist you with your request efficiently and we will ensure to pass this feedback onto them.

We are glad the accommodation was suitable and the property was in a convenient location for you to access restaurants, The Strand and the Ferries.

We look forward to you staying with us again very soon.