“All good - great room, great service!”
Review of Oaks M on Palmer

Oaks M on Palmer
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Dunedin, New Zealand
“All good - great room, great service!”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

This place is lovely! Very new, rooms had everything you could want including kitchen in studio. Great space to store your luggage and nice comfy bed. Service from staff was friendly and efficient. There is a nice hotel in front, which we spent some time in meeting and talking to locals, it also did good meals. Hotel M is at the far end of Palmer St but it is only a short stroll to bars and restaurants. There is also a bus stop a coule of metres up the road for the circut bus.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
australia
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Really impressed with the rooms- i stayed in a studio room. It had a kitchenette- it is more for self-catering than room service, etc. Nice and new. Not great views from my room. It was about 15min walk from Flinders street where the main shopping strip is. About 10 mins from some restaurants on Palmer st. Not too bad, but I walked everywhere, and the walking added up after a while!
Main problem was the pool- right next door to reception, in the shade, not heated. It was FREEZING! It looked like iot was more for show than for actual use. The gym was pretty good.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Longreach, Australia
Reviewed May 23, 2010

As someone who travels a lot for work, I was not too sure about Hotel M when I made the booking, as it was not quite in the centre of the city - however I thought I would give it a go as the price was good.

Hotel M was clean and bright, friendly staff was a pleasant surprise as I had been on one of the flights in which the words 'delay, delay, delay' are used - so a friendly welcome won my heart as a starting point.

Hotel M is very new, all nice and clean and with modern fixtures. While my room was not as large as I had hoped, it turned out that it was very effective for the 4 days I was going to be spending in it. I was at one end of the building (which I like because I have less shared walls for noise) and did not have any interesting views, but that was ok with me.
The bathroom was clean and newish, however poor lighting if you’re a male who has to shave and the water pressure in the shower was just hopeless. I took off the shower head, but still no better pressure! I am not sure why places do this. As people end up in the showers for three times as long, and I personally am not myself if I don’t have a good shower in the mornings.

The bed was a king and very comfortable. A small kitchen area was all I needed for my stay, but it looked like you could have cooked a 4 course meal if you wanted to.
While the walk is some distance to the city, many would find it too far and in summer, it would be to hot to walk that distance unless you wanted to turn up covered in sweat.
Hotel M is in a nice quiet area, with easy access to some nice places to eat. I believe it had a small gym and pool, but as these options don't interest me - I did not really check them out.

I would stay at Hotel M again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Very happy with the choice, ok so it's not right in the centre of town but it isn't really that far to walk and it is a pleasant walk.
Rooms are incredibly clean and well appointed, cooking facilities, dishwasher, washing machine etc.
Very good value

• Stayed May 2010
Scotland
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We stayed for one night travelling up from Airlie Beach to Cairns and loved the hotel. We were upgraded to a suite which was huge and had waterfront views. The room iteself was spotlessly clean and very modern. Yes, there is only a small pool (next to reception) and yes the hotel is at the very bottom of Palmer Street (but this means it's quiet especially on a Sat night!) but we got a bargain last minute price online and I would definitely stay here again.

Word of warning re: Palmer Street, very expensive but maybe it's just the poor exchange rate!

We loved Townsville, it's a young, vibrant city. If you can, go for a wander along the Strand and stop at Juliets for breakfast. The views and criossants are so worth it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 18, 2010

On our recent holiday in Townsville we stayed in a studio at Hotel M on Palmer Street.

Each studio has a king-sized bed, couch and bench with sink, convection microwave, large fridge and dishwasher so you can be self-sufficient if need be. We were lucky enough to stay on the 11th floor, giving us a gorgeous view across Ross Creek and the marina to Magnetic Island.

We found the rooms to be very comfortable, which is probably why we decided to stay four nights instead of the two originally booked. And the location on Palmer Street is wonderful with a myriad of restaurants, bars and cafes to choose from when it's meal time.

We would certainly stay again, finding the location better suited to us than some of the older accommodation available on and around the Strand area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank templc74
North West QLD
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Going by the reviews we read on here, I was expecting more from Hotel M.

It was very modern and new and clean, flatscreen tv, small balcony. Quite a good sized shower. The rooms are serviced daily.

But...

The rooms were small - obviously we weren't expecting huge judging by the price, but it was very compact.

Yes, technically it's situated on Palmer Street, but it's right down the very end, a fair walk from the main "action" if you will.

Limited carparking, quite small spaces - you could barely fit 2 regular size cars between the concrete pillars.

There is a swimming pool, but it's right next to reception, which some people probably wouldn't use solely because of that.

There's absolutely no signage from the road, we later discovered it has a big neon sign basically at the top of the highrise, which is only really visible from across the river and no help if you're trying to find it.

The shower kept tripping out between hot and cold, we didn't have the mini dishwasher going or anything so not sure why that was.

Minor details, but we most likely won't be staying there again.

One of the best things about it was the Indian restaurant next door - delicious!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business