“Poor Management”

Canberra, Australia
“Poor Management”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Hi,
I recently (25.11.13) booked a room here for my 4 nights stay during the coming Christmas break in 2013. Unfortunately I have not noticed that they put a sign "no key handover during xmas day". I booked it from 25th to 28th. Then they ring me up and said they cannot hand me the key on 25th. I apologize and asked them if there is any way to hand over the key on 25th. But they said they cant do it, also they will not refund me for 25th. They want me to pay for an additional day so they can ask one of their stuff to hand me the key on 25th.
Since I am going with my family and friends, they are staying in nearby earl court motor inn (0.7km distance from Aquarius) and I requested them to give the key to that place if possible. They said they can't do anything unless I pay the additional day charge. Quite upset with the way they behave and I think they can easily make some other arrangements since I am travelling from Canberra and I don't know anyone there. The lady is arguing that management won't allow it while she is saying that only 1 stuff works there for 365 days, quite surprising. I personally not going to go there in future. Have no idea about the rooms yet as I shall be there in the coming month.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rizaman
nateaquarius, General Manager at Aquarius Backpackers, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
HI,
Your account of this situation is not correct and we went above our guidelines to accommodate you even though you acknowledged you had read the conditions of the hostel not accepting checkins or check outs Christmas Day. We are sorry you felt you had to write this review when the mistake was clearing yours.
thanks
Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed in Aquarius with two of my friends whilst working on the Gold Coast. It was the most enjoyable experience of Australia so far. It's not easy to put up with 3 Irish lads but the staff and manager coped so well with us. Aquarius is like my home away from home. The people are so friendly. Bottom line Aquarius is my family whilst being away from home. Would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone visiting the Gold Coast looking for somewhere to stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Backpackinggoldcoast, General Manager at Aquarius Backpackers, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Hello our Irishes. We enjoyed looking after you and all your unique quirks. We surely missed you when you left to go onto your next adventure. We hope to see you again in the future. Take care Much Love and Hugs. The Team At Aquarius.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Aquarius was one of my first hostels on the Gold Coast! A definite step up the mark from Backpackers resort in surfers where I found cockroaches in my bed! The staff are super friendly and helpful and the overall atmosphere of the hostel is friendly and fun! The rooms are clean and comfortable to sleep in! The bar is always a good place to start your night out and the staff are always available to help out with tour bookings etc. The kitchen and bathrooms have just been refurbished so are probably the cleanest I've seen in any backpackers. Overall I really enjoyed my stay in Aquarius would definitely recommend it to everyone as one of the best places to stay on the Gold Coast!

• Stayed September 2013
Hi. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. When we receive these comments it shows the staff that the effort they put into the guests pays off and feels good. We have printed your review and placed it in a position the staff see daily. Thank you and we wish you every success for your future. Thanks Management.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2013

kitchen was 'under construction'... the location was not good, no parking available, internet didn't work, couldn't bring your own alcohol, had to purchase from the 'bar' on property (a small fenced off section out front of the hostel with a few pool tables and a tiny 'tiki-style' bar. overall just a below average experience. i've stayed in many hostels/backpackers throughout Oz and NZ and this one sticks out as my LEAST favorite for sure. just had no character and was disappointing, do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Backpackinggoldcoast, General Manager at Aquarius Backpackers, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hi Nick, Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Your account of the hostel and its facilities is not accurate. We have over 9 car spaces that the guests can park in and as it is a very large space not sure why you did not use it. Yes we are a licensed premise and we do not allow external alcohol to be brought onto the premise and this is on our website. So if you wanted to consume your own alcohol you should have stayed in an unlicensed premise. Yes the kitchen was under construction but we established a kitchen for the guests and all facilities and equipment was there ready for use of the guests as we understand our guests like to cook to save money. The WIFI requires a code which you were advised to get from reception and the information on our WIFI service was given to you upon checkin. Without a code from reception the WIFI will not connect. We don't understand why you need to make false claims as you spent your whole time intoxicated and rude towards the guests and staff. Hence we did not extend your stay as per your request and this is why you feel you need to write this review. We hope you enjoy your travels in Australia. Thanks Management
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I am an Australian and I arrived here from Brisbane on a strictly business only stay. During my stay I met some lovely foreigners and enjoyed my time there. The facilities were great however a few issues came to my attention. I was not warned before booking into this place that the Kitchen is closed and locked up at night so that you cannot make coffee or drink tea or gain access to snacks, furthermore it took me around half an hour to check out when I wanted to simply because the rude english girl working there was too preoccupied being a snob doing the laundry first even though customer service was a greater priority. Not only that, whilst waiting to check out I sat down with a new fellow from New Zealand who had checked in, and as he began to roll a joint of Marijuana in front of me, offering me some, to which I declined saying no I do not smoke it... the English girl came charging out like someone's old grandmother and she kicked both of us off the premises. This ended up in an altercation to which I asked police at the races about later. The police said they have the right to kick anybody off their premises at any time, however it was not illegal for me to sit chatting to a gentleman who was interested in intoxicating himself openly in the court yard! I rest my case! I'm never going back to this backpackers again!! I even got told off for not bringing my sheets down the the front counter and instead putting them with the rest piled up in the laundry! Very Very annoying place where I wasn't respected well at all... even the first night returning home to endure drunks everywhere outside I sat down with my dinner, only to turn and goto the kitchen and grab a drink... and when I returned outside this other worker there had shoved my food out of the way to take a chair next to her friend... all dressed up like a stupid drunk lollypop!! If you're numb as nuts and want to fool around like crazy western drunks... then I recommend this numb house! If you seek an intellectually minded group with respect for others, find a better venue!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank OZ_GRASSHOPPER
Hi Thank you for taking the time to write a review but your account of the situation is not entirely correct. You had already checked out as your stay with us had completed. The reason you were asked to leave was your abusive behavior towards staff and other guests who had made several complaints about your unwanted behavior and some of the guests would not go out to the communal areas while you were there. Yes we do not tolerate the consuming or the possession of illegal substances on the premises. The hostel is not run by backpackers it is run by a well established business owner of over 20 years of running businesses. Some of the staff are travelers which is a positive for the guests as they have an understanding what our guests require as they are one of them. We are sorry you felt that you needed to make the situation more than what it was and to write hurtful and untruths but only you can answer that and you have to live with the review. Thanks Management
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Our car broke down near Aquarius on a holiday Monday when everything else was closed. We decided to call around to backpackers and see if any could help in any way. When we called Aquarius they were so helpful and said if we could drive the car to bring it to them and they would call their mechanic friend to see if he could come out and take a look. We let the car cool down (radiator troubles) then drove it up the block to them. The receptionist called her friend and within the hour the mechanic was there who within another 2 hours fixed the problem and had us back on the road. While we waited they let us relax on the sofa, charge our devices and made us feel very at home. It was very clean and organized with a nice relaxed atmosphere. All the staff were super friendly, helpful and understanding. If we go back we'll definitely stay there! Thanks again for the amazing service!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we understand all types of travelers. You needed support, service, assistance and understanding. It was our pleasure to assist you as you both looked very distressed and unsure of how to fix the situation. We try and make sure all travelers and guests receive 5great service and it was our pleasure. We hope the car is behaving its self and you have had no more problems. Look forward to seeing you again one day. Be safe and enjoy Australia. Thanks Management.
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The fact that this hostel is called "Aquarius Backpackers - SURFERS PARADISE" is massive false advertising - it's actually geographically in South Port. It's such a shame because the hostel itself is actually really nice - the staff were great, the rooms were clean and the facilities in general were really good. However, to get into town you are looking at a bare minimum 45 minute walk each way. The hostel do run free shuttle buses to and from town but they are quite limited. If you're looking for somewhere really central I wouldn't stay here, but if you aren't bothered about being in the middle of town then I'd recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Backpackinggoldcoast, General Manager at Aquarius Backpackers, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Caroline, Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are a 3 minute drive to Surfers Paradise. The main CBD of the Gold Coast is Southport and we have the 2nd Largest Shopping center a 4 minute walk from the hostel. The FREE shuttle to Surfers Paradise transit center goes from 9am to 6pm daily then we have nightly events to accommodate all the guests who want to venture to Surfers Night Clubs with a FREE Drink and FREE entry. We wish you a safe travel and see you again one day. Thanks Management.