Surfers Aquarius
Novotel Surfers Paradise(Surfers Paradise)
$139
$102
  • Beachfront
$309
$141
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Hilton Surfers Paradise(Surfers Paradise)(Great Value!)
$162
$134
  • Beachfront
Vibe Hotel Gold Coast(Surfers Paradise)
$76
$69
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise(Surfers Paradise)(Great Value!)
$102
  • Restaurant
Mantra on View Hotel(Surfers Paradise)(Great Value!)
$130
$84
  • Restaurant
Mantra Sun City(Surfers Paradise)(Great Value!)
$265
$100
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast(Surfers Paradise)(Great Value!)
$120
$96
  • Restaurant
Mantra Legends Hotel(Surfers Paradise)(Great Value!)
$98
$86
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Q1 Resort and Spa(Surfers Paradise)(Great Value!)
$162
$155
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
All reviewssquash courttennis courtsdirect beach accessabsolute beachfrontlarge lounge diningthe gold coastindoor and outdoor poolssteam roombedroom apartmentamazing viewsgreat facilitiesfantastic accommodationmin driveseparate laundrysurf clubhigh risemain bedroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is my favourite place to stay in Surfers, out of the trashy centre, but an easy walk into the action for my teenagers. This building is RIGHT ON THE SAND!!! If the glorious beach and coastline is what you are in Surfers for, you will be very connected to it here. Open your blinds to feel that compulsion to start your day with a long walk on the sand, there's nothing between you and the rolling waves but an elevator ride!
Aquarious has brilliant facilities even if they seem a bit dated compared to all the generic new apartments that have sprung up everywhere. Thes glamourous new pools at Chevron Renaisanace or Q1 might look appealing in the pictures, but they are not heated, so to me, unuseable outside of high-summer. The Aquarious pools, both outdoor and indoor are heated which is quite rare, so can be enjoyed all year round. The tennis courts, numerous barbecue gazebos, landscaped lawn, squash court and direct beach access are the best facilities on the coast in my opinion. The afternoons are often windy and the beach is in shade by early afternoon so all these facilities are nice to have.
My kids brought their skateboards so the 800m into Cavill Ave wasn't a problem for them and my husband and I enjoyed the 2km walk into Broadbeach for dinner most nights.
The apartments themselves are all privately owned, so the standards vary quite a bit. Also the aspects are all different. The A's are the Easterly aspect, with views and balconies facing straight out over the sand and ocean - divine! The E's are also at the front, facing East and South. The balcony is also over the sea so beautiful vista. Personally, I love the B's (the higher the better, if over the 23rd floor, higher than Dorchester next door so magnificent view into Surfers and still great views of the beach, but the Northerly aspect affords protection from the afternoon winds which come from the south. The C's are next door, also facing North. And the D's are facing West, so views of hinerland and canals.
By the way, you can buy bread, milk and basics next door at Penthouses and drinks, chips and snacks in vending machines downstairs, otherwise it is a bit of a shlep carring supermarket goods back ... but think of it as resistance training! :))

Room Tip: See above - everyone will have a different favourite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ozzy_trav
Reviewed March 25, 2012

In 5 trips to the Gold Coast, I have stayed at 6 different properties. I can stop shopping around now, as Surfers Aquarius is the only place I want to stay at in future!

Where do I start?

My first impression of the place was the Samoan security guard (Phil, I think?) who knew I was arriving at night and had my room key ready for me.
He was so lovely and welcoming, that I stayed to chat to him for awhile before heading up the lift. We had a number of chats during my 8 nights there, whenever I returned from one of my adventures and he was not doing his rounds at the time. While swimming in the pools at night, I noticed him doing his rounds a number of times, and it felt safer having him around like that.

My next impression was the lovely modern decor around the lobby. The huge beautiful vases, new carpet, etc. It looks very stylish!

My Room:

I won't mention my room number as I want the same one when I return instead of risking it being booked out all year by other people lol, but it was very high up and had the most incredible views!!!
The apartment itself was very tidy, modern and simply fantastic! I could see that 'Surfers Aquarius' were in the process of upgrading everything, as my ensuite was a bit outdated, though I didn't go to the Gold Coast to sit in a bathroom for 8 days!
The bedroom was lovely. I had 8 wonderful nights sleep on the very comfortable bed, which they had bothered to provide with both hard and soft pillows.
The floor to ceiling mirror hallway was funky.
The soft carpet looked new and felt so nice on my feet, after walking around theme parks all day.
The kitchen was possibly the most beautiful kitchen I have ever seen, with its polished black tiles, huge marble bench and modern appliances.
The lounge was simply stunning. I had both a 2 and 3 seater leather lounge suite, which looked more like 4 and 6 seaters, and were ultra comfortable.
Huge beautiful glass dining room table.
The TV was an old CRT TV but again, I didn't fly overseas to watch TV.
There were lovely plants and ornaments decorating the place.
There were so many great things about my apartment, though the absolute highlight HAD to be the deck. It was HUGE & housed this massive round concrete/granite type table with chairs and lounge chair for sunbathing. The deck offered almost 360 degree views.
The view south including all the tall buildings of Broadbeach. Looking straight out, I looked down on the beautiful expensive homes that lined the Surfers Paradise River. I could also see a great deal of the Hinterland's beautiful mountains, and watch the amazing sunsets directly in front of me each night. When I looked north, I had the stunning view of the tallest buildings like Q1 and the new Soul building on Mainbeach.

I just can’t describe how amazing it was after walking all day at one of the theme parks, to come home each afternoon and sit out on that deck with my feet up, drinks in hand and watch the incredible sunsets while looking through brochures to plan the next day’s activities. But I’ll add photos shortly to give an idea.

The Resort Itself:

It has not one, but two beautifully kept tennis courts, which is handy as they were popular with other guests. I found the outdoor heated pool was the perfect temperature, unlike the freezing cold pools at other resorts I have stayed at. It also has a heated indoor pool and not one, but two spa pools. A sauna, a steam room, the list goes on.

I was very disappointed at how far I had to walk to get to the beach though. A whole 5 steps from the building!!! From the pool area you walk literally a few metres, go through a secure gate and step directly onto the sand!

It meant you could use the beach as a perfect direct route to walk down to Cavil Ave, the heart of Mainbeach. Or the opposite direction, if you wanted to dine at one of the many restaurants in Broadbeach.

I purchased my groceries from the Woolworths in Cavil Ave, and simply carried them back to the resort via the beach. I used the mini-mart that was just a block from the resort, for things I didn’t want to melt, like ice cream.
Basically I found the location of the resort perfect, as I didn’t need a vehicle to get around. I walked to Jupiters Casino. I walked to the HUGE Pacific Fair shopping centre. I walked to Dracula’s Show/Restaurant. And the theme park shuttles picked me up from right out front of the resort.

They also had surely the largest brochure wall ever, and it seemed every single thing the Gold Coast had to offer was represented there. This was great help for planning what to do each day.

The ladies on the front desk were lovely and helpful too.

Anyway, I’m already planning to be back there later this year, and bringing others with me this time!

Thanks so much to Phil & the girls for helping make my stay such a fantastic one!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
12  Thank Jacob15
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Aquarius loved it.!!!after a disastrous start to our holiday (refer review the penthouses)it was like finding an Oasis in the desert we were so pleased to be able to get into Aquarius.We also ended up in apartment 22E which was really great with magnificent views.The people on reception were so very nice and nothing was a bother.They will organise transport,tickets to shows,print out bus timetables to theme parks and all with a smile.Makes such a difference dealing with people who are happy and in the right job.!! Reception is manned 24 hours a day which is also good.Aquarius is set in really lovely grounds with outside pool and comfy loungers also kids pool and small playground.There is an inside heated pool and two spa's.Everything is clean and well cared for.There are lovely bbq areas.We happened to be home one day and the people arrived to clean apartment 3 arrived all doing different jobs was so efficient pretty amazing.The location is great and absolute beachfront is a plus.Would have to say this is one of the best we have stayed at and is our 'new place" now.Can't wait to go back and planning to go again at the end of the year.

Room Tip: If you are wanting beach views the sides you need to book are A and E.However am sure the views are still excellant looking over the night lights and tennis court etc.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Lyn W
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We stayed at Surfers Aquarius for 6 nights at the start of the December school holidays. Got an excellent rate through Wotif ($130 a night - booked a few months ago) and were apprehensive, due to the mixed reviews, that we would get a dodgy apartment. HOWEVER we loved our apartment - 22E.

The views were great from the lounge, kitchen and bedrooms, the apartment and furnishings were clean and comfortable, and the facilities excellent. This 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment had ample space for our family of four. We played tennis (lovely courts and leafy surrounds with BBQs and tables) and used the pools - indoor and out - and spas every day. We parked the car underneath the building and walked everywhere we wanted to go, particularly up to Cavill Avenue for dinner etc. This would be one of the better places we've stayed in Surfers due to its location and views (our windows were even cleaned during our stay to make the view even more sparkling).

The only negatives I would suggest are that the gym isn't at all inviting (small and not much equipment) and there is no wireless (unless you pay the quite steep rates). We enjoyed having Foxtel, there was a TV in both the lounge and master bedroom and the apartment had a DVD player.

We have highly recommended Surfers Aquarius to our friends who would like an inexpensive, comfortable, fun family holiday.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank pikachuAustralia
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We had saved up for six months for our family vaction, everything was going to plan until we got to the resort. The first apartment we were in was disgusting. The tiles in the kitchen were all chipped, there was marks on EVER wall and the tiles were lifted in the lounge room, the where you went out onto the balcony and the furniture was very outdated. VERY VERY Tired looking apartment. We complained and were given another apartment it was better but still very tired looking. The facilities were great but BE CAREFUL when booking, the Ocean views are amazing but the rooms are very average and are not that clean.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family