“Apart from the view a relatively ordinary experience.”

Mantra Towers of Chevron
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Elected to have a week at the Chevron via timeshare (Classic). Had initially stayed 2 nights at nearby Chateau Beachside when we had to make a change of plans at the last minute. Put bluntly we enjoyed the former experience more so than the Chevron, which was disappointing as we had high expectations prior to our arrival and having had a tour of one of the rooms at the time of signing up with Classic years earlier. We were given a room on the 38th floor of Tower 3 which initially seemed impressive enough, however aside from the great view usage of the associated balcony was very limited as it was always in the shade, no bloody sun. Tried to move the room but was told by unsympathetic staff at Reception that it was allocated by Classic and there was nothing they could do to help us. Like other reviewers were were similarly not impressed to find the heated pool was closed due to renovation - Winter time and they elect to close it down for maintenance I ask you. Outside beach pool was icy (not an option even though I tried) and the large spa was always crowded and in need of cleaning with heaps of sand on the base and heavy chlorine smell that lingered on your skin for some time even after showering. No evidence of security presence or control. No Free Internet which you would expect for a resort of this or so we thought status. Cost $45 for 7 days access to your room which we reluctantly paid albeit ended up seeking a refund on the 2nd day given poor reception/speed particularly at night when it would continually drop in and out. On that score reception staff were not very helpful aside from informing us it was an outside party (nothing to do with Chevron) and we would have to contact them to get authorisation for a refund - poor service in my book when they happily took our money in the 1st instance. Refund authorisation agreed promptly by the outside party - Reception stated that would go through straight away, however after 4 + days of checking the Visa and no credit forthcoming approached Reception staff once more to get this sorted before we left for home. Lady at reception went around the back and came back to say "yes I have seen it and it is going through today" and after checking again today it did (one would have to ask why did it take so long to process despite assurances to the contrary and would it have gone through if we hadn't pressed the point towards the end of our stay). There was also a problem with a lift (stopped suddenly on the 37th floor whilst going down and then started again once ground floor selected again). Alerted Reception who in turn rang security - we were told just sit over there and wait for security - after about 5/10 minutes the security guy appeared - this time we enjoyed some courtesy and friendly response and the problem was fixed quickly. Airport Transfers comes at a cost - we were told $66 for the 2 of us whereas we ended up finding a more reasonable alternative through Visitor Information in Cavil Avenue at $44 for the 2 of us. Bottom line we found Reception Staff in general to be cold, unwelcoming and basically unhelpful, which we found was very disconcerting for us and it seems many others as evidenced by other reviewers. The place is like a maze. Guests were constantly asking others where to go for this and that. Reception give you a very brief page outline when you arrive, thereafter you are left to your own devices. Unlike the majority of resorts that we have stayed in both in Australia and overseas there is nothing provided in your room as a guide to the Hotels facilities. When there are 3 Towers and grouped facilities eg pool etc this further impacts on finding your way around. Oh and yes the bed mattress was old and in need of replacement. All in all would not stay there again. Testimony to the Resort's low rating by reviewers when compared to other accommodation alternatives in Surfers Paradise.

Room Tip: The higher up the better for great views of the city and the sea - ask for a room north facing with...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bigredhawker
chevrontowers, Guest Relations Manager at Mantra Towers of Chevron, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with your time here at the resort. We want all guests ot enjoy their time here at the property.

When booking with a time share company, the apartments are not allocated from our general allotment, but instead come from the time share companies own group of rooms. As they are fully booked every week a room move is not possible and unfortunately our front desk staff are unable to assist with this.

In regards to the indoor pool, this was closed for emergency repairs on the 15th of May 2014 and is expected to reopen at the end of next week. In the interim the pool on level 2 of Tower 1 is being heated to an average of 28-32 degrees to compensate of this. The information regarding the indoor pool closure is on our website and all external agents and suppliers were advised.

We do have security onsite 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. They have an office in main reception which monitors all CCTV cameras, as well the security staff making regular patrols of the complex.

Our internet is not free as the resort comprises of both officially managed holiday units, private holiday unit and permanent residents and there is no way of distinguishing between these if we were to provide free internet. We do use an external provider for the WiFi however our staff should be able to assist you with contacting them or checking data limits.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and professionalism and i am saddened to this area is not operating as it should be. We have a number of new staff at the moment and as such further training of all front line staff has been arranged.

Our resort is the largest on the Gold Coast and it can take some guests a day or so to get their bearings. We provide a welcome letter and map upon check in and our staff are more than happy to assist with any further information or directions any guest may require.

I am hope you will reconsider and return to our resort in the future. We are working very hard to improve all aspects of our business and i am sure you next review would be a very positive one.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Fantastic location, close to everything, great views and well appointed large apartment (we stayed in a 3 bdr) Great place to share time with family and friends. Basic kitchen pots, pans and utensils, however these were adequate.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Ben Kerri M
ChevronManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Mantra Towers of Chevron, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your most recent stay at our resort.
I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay. We hope to welcome you back to Chevron Towers in the near future!

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I'm truly disappointed with our stay we left we a very bitter taste in our mouth.
We arrived in our room, the kitchen light was flicking on and off, and the heat wasn't working, we left it on for over an hour thinking maybe it just didn't time to warm up, but nothing it was blowing out cold air, my partner rung housing keeping but they were closed it was 6:30pm 300 room resort and there house keeping closes so early so we rang reception same story no one could help us, we couldn't even get an extra blanket. We finally got feed up from sitting in a cold room, it is the middle of winger after all I don't think it's too much to ask that the heat works in your room that your paying over $100 a night for is heated. We went down to the Coles and brought a small oil heater to provide us with some warmth. My partner went down the next morning he said the woman was friendly enough they offered a refunded for the heater, so I went in later that day to collect it, I waited nearly 15 minuets then I was got was " you right " I believe the phrase you were looking for hi sorry about the wait can I help you. The woman's name was Jill, I was sure to note this because of how utterly rude she towards me, I explain I was here to pick up my refund for the heater I brought before I could finish she cut me off and said oh yeah I over heard something about this but I can't help you you'll need to wait, so I waited again and my refund was handed over, no sorry, no offer to compensate for that fact that we had to buy the dam thing in the first place and put it together nothing !!!! I'm disgusted I have really never been treated more rudely in my life. I'm a paying customer, those reception staff have no respect. I'm no a bad person or someone who likes to complain for the sake of it but come on! It simply wasn't good enough I will not be returning!!

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank byronbay1975
chevrontowers, Guest Relations Manager at Mantra Towers of Chevron, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear your stay was not as pleasant as it could be. We have all apartments cleaned and checked by a supervisor prior to check in. Any maintenance issues are advised to the maintenance staff and are again address prior to guest arrival. Unfortunately things can happen after a check has been carried our and as we are a self contained resort our reception hours are 8am til 6pm 7 days per week.

As you arrived outside of these hours there was unfortunately no one onsite the fix the problem immediately. The cost of the heater was refunded immediately and our maintenance staff arranged an air-con technician to attend and correct the issue immediately.

We have appropriate action with the staff member in question and have arranged further training of all front line staff.

I can understand your hesitation to return to the property however i would like to opportunity to personally welcome you back to the resort to experience what a true stay at Chevron Towers should really be like.

Please contact me directly for any future travel and I can make arrangements for you. fom@chevrontowers.com.au or 07 5584 8118
Regards, Melissa.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

My girlfriends and I stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment over two nights and we were very happy with our stay! Modern furnishings, central heating (we stayed in Winter), spacious, staff were very friendly, parking was a breeze and we felt like kids again when we found the games room! Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

The place is ideally situated if you want to be in the heart of Surfer's Paradise. The rooms offer a splendid view of the ocean or interior - both have their charms. The exterior is clean and well maintained. Each room is similarly appointed, but some have more kitchen utensils and dinner ware than others. Room maintenance is starting to show a drop in standards and there are plenty of signs saying "Body Corporate" basically not responsible for a damn thing and there are few visible non-maintenance/security people. Parking space is available, but there are precious few spaces for guests. I routinely spent 20 minutes a night hunting for the reclusive "open" spaces and a few times I had to park in the "visitor" 5 hour lot (with permission from security) because there simply was no space. Security is thuggish. For some reason they are always scowling as if waiting for the next brawl or something, which made me a bit uncomfortable. This is my third time here. It's an OK place to stay in Surfers, but I think it is going down hill.

Room Tip: Go higher and keep your windows closed at night to avoid the noise which winds down around 1am.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see you enjoyed your time at the property and made the most of our central location and world class facilities.

Our car park is is extensive and has enough spaces to average 1.5 car parks per apartment. The private and reserved spots are for permanent residents of the complex. Weekends year round the resort is generally fully booked which can make finding a car space a little more difficult, however it is very rare for there to be no spaces at all available.

Security are employed by Body Corporate and are on site 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. I apologise if they seemed surly, most guests find them very pleasant.

The property is now 11 years old however we are constantly upgrading and refurbishing our units and grounds and we feel they resort is extremely well maintained.

I hope you will return to the resort in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Good clean apartment. Close to all the shops, activities & beach. Only minutes walk. Can't get lost. First time at the hotel and it was pretty frustrating and confusing. Eventually find your way around anyway! The ocean spa view was ok. Nothing special ! No foxtel channels, and cd player was not working. If you going to stay at these apartments ensure to buy all the necessities including dishwasher, toiletries, towels , laundry powder etc... You will have to pay extra if you need more of this stuff esp if your planning to stay longer than 2 nights. No house keeping! But we managed and it was good for a young crowd who spend very minimal time in the apartment.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank jleaupepe
ChevronManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Mantra Towers of Chevron, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thank you for your informative review. It is with your feedback that we are able to ensure that our property may continue to provide our guests with a holiday they will not forget. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit the Gold Coast.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Having read several negative reviews, I was extremely pleasantly surprised with our unit which was quiet (did request a high floor) and very well fitted out. Perfect location in the heart of Surfers. Only negatives were that the indoor pool was closed for refurbishment and that the gym was poorly fitted out with only a few machines.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay - we appreciate all feedback, and we are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.