“Bad customer r/s management but great pool”

Santana Holiday Resort Apartments
Reviewed July 22, 2012

POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!

We arrived at the resort after-hours so we had to use the after-hours service which involves picking up a phone to speak to the after-hours manager. Over the phone, we gave them our name and actually spelt it out for her. Without any hesitation, she gave us a PIN number to open the safe deposit box where she says we will find our keys. We did as we were told, opened the safe and there was only ONE envelope in there. Naturally, anyone would think that it is our room key. So we took it and happily checked into the room - we thought it was quite nicely decorated, well equipped kitchen etc...

BUT much later in the night, one of the resort owners came knocking on our door and started to question us non-stop on why we are in this room and why we didn't check the name on the envelope, without giving us any chance to speak at all!!!! He then went on to say he will be charging us an extra 150AUD for using a room we were not supposed to use. I was taken aback at how rude he was, and was very offended. He was practically screaming at us when all we did was to follow EXACTLY all the instructions we were given by the after-hours manager and took the ONLY set of keys in the safe. Thankfully, the lady owner stepped in and made the night less unpleasant (thank you!).

And at the end of the stay, they made us pay 50AUD EXTRA for "Linen Charges" because we used a room "we were not supposed to be in" (How am I supposed to know when that's what I was told to do and there obviously weren't 2 envelopes in the safe that I could choose from?!?!)

This incident made me really upset for various reasons:
1. They did not do proper preparation for our arrival - only 1 set of keys in the safe not properly labelled even though 2 sets of guests were checking in that day
2. Resort Owner showed up at our door reprimanding us without even finding out what happened and how this mix up happened
3. Demanded (in a rude tone of voice) us to pay 150AUD extra when the fault was facilitated by their inability to organise guest check-ins well
4. Had to pay 50AUD extra eventually for something which I feel should be borne by the resort for not sorting check-ins and after-hours service well enough

They do have a great pool though. Heated pool with a jacuzzi - great for winter and when you feel like dipping in the night.

Make sure you call them before hand to ensure that such mix-ups don't happen to you, else that "value for money" proposition falls flat. If I were to visit Gold Coast again, this is definitely NOT one of my top choices.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank regtan
santanasurfers, Manager at Santana Holiday Resort Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for your feedback we appreciate it greatly.

With after hours check-in our check-in procedure is really quite simply.The after hours assistance talked you through and before you collected your keys they asked you to ensure the envelope had your name on it.They record all conversations to ensure they give all details correctly so if issues ever happen they have back up.We listened to the tape and they asked you that very question,have you got the envelope with your name on it and with that you answered , yes yes that is correct.You seemed in a hurray and were quite happy to finish the call quickly.
Unfortunately you took another guests room that they specifically booked with their name on the envelope not your name .This caused major confusion.The next day we had to clean two rooms yours and the other room that the other guests stayed in we only think it fair that we charge you $50 for the cost of the linen for both rooms.We paid for the rooms to be cleaned ourselves.

Sometimes these things happen and we do apologise and we will ensure our after hours double checks with all guests in future over the phone during this procedure.

There are newer reviews for Santana Holiday Resort Apartments

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Location was not too bad, although it's on the non-beach side of a major thoroughfare, which is something to be conscious of when you're in your bathing suit and towel waiting for vehicles to stop and the pedestrian light to go green. The apartment itself was clean, spacious, comfortable and well equipped, although a missing blind and a few chips here and there show its wear and tear. I would stay here again, but it's a place better suited to having a car.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Great spacious apartment with great facilities and amenities. It has everything from microwave to dryer.

Location is excellent for me. Near to casino and to surfers paradise. Have many restaurants nearby. Comes with safe and secured covered car park.

Didn't try the pool and the spa but it looks nice.

Suggest to ask for ground floor units, avoid having to walk up many steps especially with luggages.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Cozy, clean and helpful staff. About 20 minutes walk to surfers paradise and 5-7 minutes by bus that will cost you around aud4.70. Even the place is not centrally located at main tourist attraction area however you will be compliment with the friendly staff, quiet and clean room.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I booked this resort trough Leisure Holidays Malaysia. It was the 2nd time I went there. The first time is on out honeymoon 2005. I find great improvement especially with the room and the caretakers. Raquel & Anthony are very polite and helpfull. I love being there. Really feels like my second home and obviously will be coming back soon!

Room Tip: An economical room is enough for us... everything is complete!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Aini Z
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I was booked into this hotel through expedia , the pictures were a far cry from the reality from our perspective! we arrived and building works were on in local vicinity giving everything a busy grubby feel and VERY noisy.Aside from this it resembled more hostel than hotel. The bbq area was filthy, and the pool area very unclean also. When I advised them that I would not be staying and wanted a refund the manager aggressively told me where to go. I began to take photos of grill area and bbq facilities to show expedia whom I had booked through and he told me to get off his property and "go back to england you bloody pom". Keep in mind as he is shouting this at me I have my 10 and 11 year old children tearfully in tow.
I will post photos soon to show how filthy the bbq equipment was and allow people to see more honest photos of the Santana resort gold coast!

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank VIV D
santanasurfers, Owner at Santana Holiday Resort Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

We are sorry to hear your thoughts however It is almost impossible for us to respond to this review,.
Due to the roadworks for the light rail the whole Gold Coast may appear "Grubby" but we are not ones to complain about progress.
The guest arrived at 8 am already angry and did not even want to see a room ,they had already made up their mind that Santana Resort was not for them and it was not what they wanted.The comment regarding your heratige was not said by us rather by a guest who overheard the discussion which we might add was rather loud and heard by many happy guests.
Our maitenance and cleaning was is in process .We were mulching garden beds and guests had just cooked breakfast so to clean a BBQ after each guest is almost impossible.Our BBQ is professionally cleaned at 9am each morning.Most guests clean up after themselves but sometimes this is not the case.The BBQ area is the most used in our Resort and is always kept clean.Unfortunately at that very moment it was dirty after a guest cooked breakfast.
The pool is cement and does show a watermark however our pool is cleaned daily as required by councils and we have a professional clean each week.SOMETIMES as much as you try you can't please everybody..

Reviewed April 28, 2012

We booked a premium room and were VERY disappointed. The room wasn't cleaned properly, dirty, dusty, smelly. The lights flickered, the fan in the bedroom only worked either really fast which was loud or too slow you couldn't feel it, the fan in bathroom did not go, the bath was disgusting and had brown marks in it.
It looked absolutely nothing like the pictures. It felt more like a backpackers. The pool was ok and the people in the office were plesant enough but if your wanting a reasonable place to stay I wouldn't recommend.
I would say more 2 stars.... Sorry!

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Simonnsarah
santanasurfers, Manager at Santana Holiday Resort Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Thank you for your review we apprecaite it greatly.
We sometimes get the odd comment about cleaning and we will follow up with our cleaners.We do try and ensure that our cleaning standards are of the highest quality.We use quality products and ensure our cleaners are trained well.We are really sorry that it did not meet your expectations.

We ask guests at check in to let us know if you notice anything that needs attending to like lights etc so we are able to fix these items to ensure you have a plesant stay.We have checked the fan and replaced this.Our bathrooms don't have exhaust fans so that is why is doesn't work.it is a vent only.

We are self contained Hoiliday Units so many guests get confused by this however I can ensure you we are 3 and a half star quality.Hostels have shared accommodation you certainly dont get your own room with a 42inch Plasma TV,DVD air-conditioning with your own bathroom shower, toliet and kitchen.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
#10 of 16 in Broadbeach
Peppers Soul
Peppers Soul
#1 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Santana Holiday Resort Apartments? Share your experiences!