“Nice, not fabulous” 4 of 5 bubbles

Q1 Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“Nice, not fabulous”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Q1 Resort for my honeymoon in March 2014 for 5 nights. We booked a 5 night special, which meant the room wasn't serviced during our stay. That was fine as the room is self contained and has facilities to freshen your towels if you desire.

We stayed on level 36 and had a fabulous view of Surfers and the ocean. Things that made the room a little disappointing included stranger's long black hairs in the bath tub (I'm blonde and my husband is bald), carpet in the hallway and entry way taped down, chips and lumps in the laminex furniture- tv cabinet & dining table. In the kitchen, the fridge door and crockery cupboards open towards the benches rather than away from them which makes it a little awkward to move things from the bench or dishwasher into them. All of these are little things that don't effect our holiday, just detract a little from our enjoyment of the room.

The service received from reception staff was fine, generally seemed pleasant and routine, however nothing out of the ordinary or exceptional to note.

We had breakfast one morning on the top floor and observation deck, which was great. The service received there was really friendly and efficient. The view is amazing and I'd highly recommend it.

I enjoyed the outdoor pool and warm indoor spa. I didn't like the unisex sauna and steam rooms as I would have liked to enjoy a steam with my new husband. We also found they weren't well signed and a little difficult to find, being attached to the toilets in the gymnasium.

Overall we had a pleasant stay, but a few small touches would have made it better.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Cathy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Q1 is an icon. As proud Queenslanders my husband and I have been to the observatory a couple of times since Q1 was build but had never stayed there. We thought celebrating our first wedding anniversary there would be nice for a few nights and continue to make our way down the East Coast afterwards.

We were both very disappointed and really underwhelmed. The fit out is sooo boring - all white. Obviously being as old as it is you expect a bit of wear & tear but there were stains on the bench and marks on the walls that were really bad. Our fridge wasn't working any better than an esky and as we had some groceries to refrigerate, we told staff. We had to take our groceries down to be kept in the fridge at reception until a technician could come around the next day. We thought it might have been easier just moving rooms (being mid week and all, it was dead) but apparently not. Half the lights were blown, one of the cookers on the gas cooktop didn't work. The dishwasher was pretty feral and in real need of a good clean. One of the shelves in the oven was broken.

Yeah just so not worth the money. That was our first time staying there and will definitely be our last!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LessyBet
geelong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Great apartment helpful staff and close walk to attractions shuttle bus stops across road for theme parks recommend the climb while your there and the tepanyaki restaurant near entrance well worth it great place to stay

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank suzykr
Esk, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Me and my fiance have stayed at the Q1 for Valentines Day the past 2 years. This time around, the view was spectacular, the room clean and comfortable, and the hotel is close to everything.
We booked dinner at Honozono and the meal was fantastic.
We shall be back next year.

Room Tip: You can go past the seaview spa rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emma_wald
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

As I recently stayed here for 3 nights with my partner, I could not have been happier with the value I got & not to mention the staff were so friendly & help full. Once I git to my apartment the view was amazing & as id asked for a high floor they also did everything I had requested. Would recommend this resort highly !

• Stayed March 2014
Sutherland Shire, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed in the Q1 Sub-Penthouse for a weekend in February and had an excellent weekend, the staff were very friendly and accommodating, the rooms had million dollar views over the ocean and Cavil Ave, the pools were also excellent with a BBQ area beside them which was used for bacon and eggs breakfasts each morning. I would recommend the Q1 to anyone who was looking to travel to the gold coast and wanting a great place to stay for a reasonable price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leon P
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I went on a trip to Sydney Mardi Gras last February/March, I'm from Europe and since I'm a themepark fan my friend decided to take me to the gold coast for 5 days after the actual mardi gras weekend!

So when I boarded the plane I was pretty dead and wanted to get to the hotel! I remember driving towards the city and seeing the Q1 tower and mentioning how I love skyscrapers and how I found the Q1 building the coolest looking one of them. To my surprise moments later we actually pulled up in front of the hotel and I found out this was the hotel we were actually staying at! #AWESOME!

We were quickly greeted and in no time we were in the elevator up to the 23rd floor! The moment we opened the doors we were amazed by the size of the appartment! There's a small work area, huge living room with an open kitchen which also has a dining room! A balcony that's separated from the living area by glass doors that can be opened completely! a big bathroom and a bedroom with walk in closet! The bedroom has windows overlooking the ocean (the balcony also faces the ocean) and this gives for a lot of natural light! The room was amazing!

The Q1 also is in walking distance of the beach and surfers paradise which is really nice! There's a bus stop around the corner, and the receptionist will help you arrange transfers to the themeparks and airport if needed! You also get a discount for breakfast up at the viewing deck which is amazing for the view, the breakfast itself isn't wow.

You can also do the skypoint climb which takes you up the roof! There's a discount voucher in your room and I would recommend it! I had a great time up there and the view is crazy! Not for those who are afraid of heights though ;-)

The pool area is big and has 2 separate outdoor pools, as wel as a hottub and lap pool inside. I didn't get to try out the spa sadly enough! But maybe if I get back to Australia and the gold coast I will! There's also a gym which I didn't get around to using...

The only minor thing is that you have to pay for wifi acces... In these times wifi should be complimentary at all hotels in my own opinion...

Room Tip: Get a room with oceanview!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends