“Stunning views but some cleaning issues”
Review of Q1 Resort and Spa

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Canberra Australia
“Stunning views but some cleaning issues”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Q1 for one week from 12 to 19 March 2013. We also stayed at Circle on Cavill for one week prior so you can read my review on that to compare the two establishments.

Q1 is located 4 blocks from Cavill Ave. In terms of location Circle on Cavill was a little better. It is more in the heart of the action than Q1. Q1 is closer to the beach.

We booked directly with Q1 9 days prior to our arrival. We were told we would get a confirmation email which we never did. We payed by EFT to avoid a credit card fee. On our arrival check in was smooth. We opted to have a non-serviced room to save some money. This meant that the towels were not refreshed etc.However one day prior to our checkout the housemaids knocked on our door and supplied clean towels, toiletries and made the bed.

We had a one bedroom spa ocean view room. The views from our room on the 41st floor were stunning. We could see down the coast and to the hinterland. One of my first impressions of the building was not so good. At least two broken windows in the tower, that looked like they have been boarded up, were very noticeable.

Like at Circle On Cavill we did have some maintenance issues with the room. These were attended too quite promptly once reported.

The Good:
1. Fantastic views and reasonably close to centre of Surfers Paradise.
2. Very close to the beach. Just across the road.
3. The furniture in our room was good and was of a higher standard than we encountered at Circle on Cavill.
4. Although there was no balcony the sunroom with opening windows provided fresh air.
5. Fantastic outdoor pool area's with a nice barbeque setup.
6. Clean bathroom.
7. Very fast and reliable lifts.

Room for improvement:
1. My greatest complaint was a cleanliness issue in the kitchen. On our first morning I was cooking breakfast. I turned on the range-hood to circulate the air but i was horrified when i noticed grease dripping into my saucepan. I checked the range hood to find that it was totally backed up and clogged with grease falling onto the stove top. It looked like it had never been cleaned. I had to throw my food away and the stove-top was not able to be used. I reported the issue to reception then we went out for breakfast. On our return it had been cleaned.

This incident alone made me want to check out and made me feel quite ill. Cleaning this would appear to be such a basic thing that should be done between guests. Some of the plates also seemed to be a little dirty so I washed the cutlery and crockery before we used them.

2. Through our entire stay the indoor heated pool was not heated and the spa pool was closed for all but one or two days. Disappointing.

3. I used the gym once and some of the equipment did not work. Also while signs ask that guests wipe down the machines after use I could see no cleaning sprays. Everyone was wiping the sweat off with sweaty towels. Yukky.

4.The door to the laundry did not close once we opened it. This was repaired the following day. The maintenance man was pleasant and also noted that the door to the apartment was not closing as it should so he fixed that also.

5. The sign on the air conditioning control said that it should not be set at a temperature below 22 degrees otherwise the air con unit would freeze up and cease working. Although we complied with this, on occasion, 22 deg was not cool enough. This was not the case at Circle on Cavill. From memory the lowest temp you could set there was 18 deg.

Having stayed at both Q1 and Circle on Cavill I can report that there was very little between the two apartments. Pricing was similar for the one bedroom spa ocean view apartments. The views at Q1 were more expansive. Both had cleaning and maintenance issues and from both I expected more.

I would consider staying at Q1 again but next time I would view the room before check in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Clare P
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Clare P,

Thanyou for taking the time to offer some feedback about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. All comments are appreciated and used as a valuable tool for continuously improving upon the Resort product and the services that we provide.

I value the fact that some of your review compares Q1 to circle on Cavil, one of our main competitors which is simillar in some respects to Q1 as both properties provide fully self contained apartments. Of course, we wish to be the preferred property, not just in terms of better views, but superior standards and service as well. Your review will assist us with this goal in mind. I am pleased that you did enjoy your stay overall, however, I was concerned that in some respects, Q1 fell short of your expectations.

The good aspects of your stay that you listed were affirming to read and I note that you found that the furnishings in your apartment were in fact better than our competitor. Q1 certainly is famous for its spectacular views, location and facilities which I note you took full advantage of. The areas identified for improvement have been read and actioned of by Q1 Management and I apologise for these shortfalls. Although many of the issues that you encountered were resolved by our staff, I acknowledge that they should not have been encountered by you and I understand that you did expect more. I am sorry. Our indoor pool area spa has been fixed and our indoor pool, which is not currently heated will be repaired very soon.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Q1 again in the future and trust that your next stay will be even better.

Kind regards,

Q1 Resort and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were so excited to be staying at Q1 and from miles away we saw the striking awesome structure on our drive there. Once we arrived, our stay didn't disappoint!
From our speedy check in to our awesome room some 100 metres above the ground on floor 35...and once we opened the door to see our amazing view up the coast - spectacular!
The apartment's furnishings are pleasing to the eye with everything matching. The CD player was a bonus as was the DVD player. The enclosed balcony was also a nice feature and great for drying wet towels and swimmers!

We stayed in a 1 br apartment which was more like the size of a 2 br anywhere else. It was such a great size and our 6 yr old son thought his 'bedroom' was pretty special. By day that room is another lounge room/office with desk and internet facilities.

Our master suite was just that. Divine! Beautifully furnished, walk in robe and access to bathroom - complete with spa. The bed was super comfortable and the air cond temp just perfect. (fully adjustable air cond).

Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher and full laundry, everything you could want to self cater if that was your plan. But alas, several restaurants within a short walk of Q1 has every taste catered for. Our first night was at Longboards up on the Eastern corner of the property. Great pizzas and well priced drinks and a delightful setting makes it easy to settle in for a few hours!

The pool was used every day we stayed there and had it pretty much to ourselves. The gym was great, as was the spa. There is security access to everything keeping it safe.

We loved our stay at Q1, the staff were pleasing and attentive and we just can't wait to go back soon!

5 Thank mrshowty
Dear mrshowty,

Thankyou for your review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. All comments, even the more subjective ones, are important to us as they let us know what people are really thinking about thier Q1 experience which helps us to make things even better for our valued guests.

I am pleased that you loved every aspect of your stay and that Q1 was able to exceed your expectations. I am pleased that you made the most of the Resorts facilities and the spacious, fully self contained apartment that you stayed in.

I know that when you have an fantastic Resort experience, the only bad thing is having to leave! I look forward to welcoming back again and trust that you will have a great time on your next stay too.

Launceston, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We enjoyed our 10 days on the Gold Coast and certainly staying at Q1 was fine on the whole but I guess knowing it is the largest residential tower and how amazing it looks on the outside you tend to expect more. The pool area and outside complex is great, fab bbq's, spacious and the pools huge. The disapointment is in the furnishings of the apartments. As they are privately owned I guess they decorate them to their taste/budget so what you see on the website can be misleading. The carpets and walls in common areas need a revamp and one of our showers was leaking, bit dodgy.

The other disapointing part of the Q1 experience is the breakfast. You pay for continental only and the setup is rather poor for such a big hotel. The main drawcard of course is the view so I get the feeling they rip you off at breakfast thinking you won't care. Seems silly you then have to pay $15 or $19 for a hot breakfast to accompany what you have already paid for continental. I wouldn't eat in the restaurant again.

The views are spectacular and it is reasonably priced. I may stay again, hard to say, depends on what else I came across.

Staff were okay, not overly friendly but certainly not rude.

Thanks

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are so worth it, pay the extra $
3 Thank boats01
Dear boats01,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We certainly appreciate all feedback and use it to proactively improve upon the product and services that we provide.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay on the fabulous Gold Coast and that you enjoyed the location and the facilities of the Resort. We understand that the Gold Coast accommodation market is highly competitive and we actively engage in ensuring our valued guests feel that they have made the right decision by staying with us. I acknowledge that the furnishings in the apartment that you stayed in was not up to your expectations and sincerely apologise for this. Our owner relations Manager has been informed so that we continue to meet and exceed expectations in regards to furnishings. The common areas are generally very well maintained, however, I am sorry that there was also a shortfall in this respect.

The continental breakfast at Skypoint with wonderful views of the Gold Coast is popular with guests and locals. We understand that the standard breakfast package includes continental buffet and not the full hot breakfast so Q1 is endevouring to make this better value for money for our valued guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Q1 again and I am confident that your next stay will be even better.

Sydney
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here for two nights, with my Family and friends we had two - two bedroom apartments across two floors (34 and 39).

Overall our stay was just OK. Not knowing much about the Q1 building apart from it being very tall and that it was a four star hotel, and the reviews on TP.

I would like to say the stay was amazing, but quite frankly it was just OK - this is not a proper four star hotel more like a residential building that has a front desk attached to a spa.

The apartments were spacious with great views of the GC mountains and glimpses of ocean. However the finishes weren't great, walls and paint peeling in areas where its clearly visible therefore should have been repaired. The furniture in both apartment varied, the one on 34 looked a bit tired and chipped whereas on 39 was still new -ish. Both apartments lacked any lamps in the living room and more annoyingly there wasn't a second light switch near the beds to turn off the room lights (standard in most hotels!)

The proximity to the beach is good, 50 meters perhaps closer. The pools are nice, entry is a bit annoying having to use passes to get to and from areas. Finding the sauna and steam room was hard - note - its through the gym toilets!

The atmosphere of the whole building was more like "party central" whereby walking through the halls you could hear the other rooms having a good time, in your rooms you can here the people above you (having a good time), you can also here the people in the next other apartment (and yes if they were having a good time you can hear them too!). So if you're here for a relaxing quite weekend - perhaps avoid staying here.

2 Thank Roxanne T
Dear Roxanne T,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. All feedback is appreciated and read by Q1 Management which aids us to further improving the Resort for our valued guests and clients.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the views and location to be ideal, however, I acknowledge that it did not live up to your expectations in every aspect. Q1 is an iconic and reputable building and understandable, people do expect a better than average experience from the Resort.

I invite you to stay with us again and trust that your next stay will be even better as we strive for continuous improvement so that Q1 remains one of the preferred Resorts on the Gold Coast..

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here with 10 mates last October during the Gold Coast 7s - absolutely perfect location. Very helpful staff. The 57th floor view is great too :) Will definitely stay this year again - perhaps with a bigger crowd!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravelFEEGEE
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear TravelFEEGEE,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay in October 2012 with your mates. All reviews are used by Management as a valuable tool for maintaining the Resort as well as identifying any areas that we can improve upon.

I am pleased that you loved your stay at Q1 and found the venue to be ideal for your group. I am pleased that the staff were friendly and helpful too. Q1 is a great Resort for groups and families as our fully self contained spacious apartments can accommodate up to 8 people comfortably, as well as our famous leisure facilities which are hugely popular.

I look forward to your stay again this year and good luck in the 7's tournament whether you are a player or a fan.

warm regards,

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

thought we were booking a bit of luxury (sub penthouse) but it was far from luxurious......great space but furnishings were tacky and dirty....looked nothing like website...obviously set up for schoolies week. We should have been told about furnishings and dinginess of penthouse. Owner or manager of these penthouses was very rude and unapologetic.

Room Tip: do not go for the sub penthouses that are set up for schoolies week
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank rupert1953
Dear rupert 1953,

Thankyou for taking the time to write on line about your recent experience at the Q1 building. All reviews are read by Q1 Resort Management and used to improve upon the apartments that we Manage and the Resort.

Unfortunately, your stay was not in an apartment that is managed by Q1 Resort and Spa. The person with whon your spoke with who you described as bieng rude an unapologetic is a private operator who lets out units and does not represent Q1 Resort in any capacity whatsoever. This operator is disreputable and we have been informed on many occaisions that this operator is unscrupulous and does not have thie clients best interests in mind. I recommend that you pursue this individual further directly with your greivance and I trust that your comments are a warning to others who may think twice before booking with this individual.
Had you booked and stayed with Q1 Resort and Spa, your experience would have been a better one and you would have enjoyed the full range of services, such as 24 reception, free parking luggage storage, tour desk information and professional on site management which does represent Q1. I urge you to book direct and stay with the Resort on the next occaision and am confident that you will enjoy your next stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We live locally so 2-night package was an opportunity to see our own backyard from the tallest residential building. Apartment 1503 is a lovely large spacious 1-bedroom apartment that looks diectly across to residential block with only partial seaviews. This was very disappointing customer service especially when you have asked and expect to get uninterupted views. The modular lounge was uncomfortable, kingsize bed was two-singles pushed together, glass shower did not close properly so floor was constantly wet, noisy blinds from a/c draft. Package included entry to Skypoint on 77th floor and continental breakfast. No problems with direct booking and parking facilities. Lift service is amazing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank my3sonss
Dear my3sonss,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your recent experience at q1 Resort and Spa. Feedback is a vital part of any business and we appreciate all comments.

I am pleased that you had the opportunity to stay at Q1 and gave given us a perspective as a Gold Coast local. Many people who live on the Gold Coast have enjoyed a stay at Q1 and what better way to view the Gold Coast than from Australia's tallest beachside tower?! I sincerely apologise that your stay did not live up to your expectations in all aspects. Although Q1 is less than 100 metres to the beach, we are not directly on the beach so ocean views are often not uninterrupted, I apologise if you were informed otherwise. Our owner relations Manager has been informed of your comments regarding the bedding and the lounge.

I look forward to you staying with Q1 again in the future and am confident that your next stay will be a better one.