My husband and I stayed at Q1 for one week from 12 to 19 March 2013. We also stayed at Circle on Cavill for one week prior so you can read my review on that to compare the two establishments.
Q1 is located 4 blocks from Cavill Ave. In terms of location Circle on Cavill was a little better. It is more in the heart of the action than Q1. Q1 is closer to the beach.
We booked directly with Q1 9 days prior to our arrival. We were told we would get a confirmation email which we never did. We payed by EFT to avoid a credit card fee. On our arrival check in was smooth. We opted to have a non-serviced room to save some money. This meant that the towels were not refreshed etc.However one day prior to our checkout the housemaids knocked on our door and supplied clean towels, toiletries and made the bed.
We had a one bedroom spa ocean view room. The views from our room on the 41st floor were stunning. We could see down the coast and to the hinterland. One of my first impressions of the building was not so good. At least two broken windows in the tower, that looked like they have been boarded up, were very noticeable.
Like at Circle On Cavill we did have some maintenance issues with the room. These were attended too quite promptly once reported.
1. Fantastic views and reasonably close to centre of Surfers Paradise.
2. Very close to the beach. Just across the road.
3. The furniture in our room was good and was of a higher standard than we encountered at Circle on Cavill.
4. Although there was no balcony the sunroom with opening windows provided fresh air.
5. Fantastic outdoor pool area's with a nice barbeque setup.
6. Clean bathroom.
7. Very fast and reliable lifts.
Room for improvement:
1. My greatest complaint was a cleanliness issue in the kitchen. On our first morning I was cooking breakfast. I turned on the range-hood to circulate the air but i was horrified when i noticed grease dripping into my saucepan. I checked the range hood to find that it was totally backed up and clogged with grease falling onto the stove top. It looked like it had never been cleaned. I had to throw my food away and the stove-top was not able to be used. I reported the issue to reception then we went out for breakfast. On our return it had been cleaned.
This incident alone made me want to check out and made me feel quite ill. Cleaning this would appear to be such a basic thing that should be done between guests. Some of the plates also seemed to be a little dirty so I washed the cutlery and crockery before we used them.
2. Through our entire stay the indoor heated pool was not heated and the spa pool was closed for all but one or two days. Disappointing.
3. I used the gym once and some of the equipment did not work. Also while signs ask that guests wipe down the machines after use I could see no cleaning sprays. Everyone was wiping the sweat off with sweaty towels. Yukky.
4.The door to the laundry did not close once we opened it. This was repaired the following day. The maintenance man was pleasant and also noted that the door to the apartment was not closing as it should so he fixed that also.
5. The sign on the air conditioning control said that it should not be set at a temperature below 22 degrees otherwise the air con unit would freeze up and cease working. Although we complied with this, on occasion, 22 deg was not cool enough. This was not the case at Circle on Cavill. From memory the lowest temp you could set there was 18 deg.
Having stayed at both Q1 and Circle on Cavill I can report that there was very little between the two apartments. Pricing was similar for the one bedroom spa ocean view apartments. The views at Q1 were more expansive. Both had cleaning and maintenance issues and from both I expected more.
I would consider staying at Q1 again but next time I would view the room before check in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ‘Australia’s Tallest Residential Tower’ ... Q1 Resort & Spa Surfers Paradise offers 1,2,3Bed & Sub Penthouse Luxury Apartments with unique glass enclosed Balconies & Spa Baths, 24 hour reception & security, unparalleled resort facilities on a beach front location & set amid one hectare of landscaped grounds. Q1 Resort & Spa features two lagoon swimming pools, heated indoor lap pool & spa, alfresco poolside Cafe & Bar & our famous "Seventy 7 Buffet Breakfast" located level 77 floor above ground with viewing platform. A world class gymnasium, saunas & steam rooms, private theatrette, conferencing & wedding facilities, children’s games room & our award winning Q1 Day Spa await you. The Q1 tower also hosts Australia’s only beach side External Tower Adventure Climb from level 77 to 80 ... Q1 Resort & Spa towers over the Gold Coast with views to match. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Q1 Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- q1 Hotel Surfers Paradise
- q1 Resort Surfers Paradise
- Q1 Resort And Spa Gold Coast/Surfers Paradise