“Has potential to be better....”

Ipanema Resort Apartments
“Has potential to be better....”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 days in September. We booked the studio apartment through Booking.com. As our flight arrived after-hours (actually early AM), we used the after-hours check-in which was smooth including parking our hire car in under-cover secure parking (which is a great bonus for this place). Location is quite good if you have a hire car. Beach is close-by as well as some places to eat within walking distance. This is one of those many resorts on Gold Coast where the apartment complex is a mix of owners, tenants and holiday tourists. The room we got given was not good. The queen bed (worse than IKEA beds) was sub-standard and we complained the next day. The room air-con panel switches were not working and was tough to change from heating to cooling and vice versa. The reception staff needed to be convinced to come up and do a check on both these issues, which of course could not be resolved instantly. The bathroom was of good size and with a standard stock of toiletries (but no extra toilet paper!!) One other issue, the carpet in the studio had marks and was a bit damp. After many requests, the next day, we got given another studio room. I have to admit, this room (sea facing with balcony) was amazing, freshly renovated and we could not find any faults. The after-hours reception line which connects to someone's mobile or phone was quite helpful and responsive (one occasion where I misplaced my spectacles). The only negative if any with the apartments is this duplex design (where two separate apartments share one common entrance and the laundry area). I would have given this place 4-star bar our initial experience. The prices and facilities and deal we got through booking.com was unbeatable and overall good value for money.

Room Tip: Given our experience, maybe ask for a room on the newer, renovated side, sea-facing.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DMJ79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at this property October 2013 for work. I have to say it wasn't the best experience I've had with accommodation, but others who have stayed at this property have had enjoyable stays as you can see from the reviews. This is a reflection of my experience which does not mean it will happen to everyone.

I "checked in" on a Friday afternoon after 5pm. I drove down to the car park, got my luggage out and tried to take the lift up but wasn't working, I figured you need an RFID tag to get into to the lift from the car park. Walked up the ramp to the entrance, no biggie, when I arrived at the front door I found the reception to be closed and doors locked. I had to call the after hours check in/reception line via their intercom by the front door, I was hung up on once and put on hold for a while. Eventually I was given a code to a safe next to the reception desk which contained envelopes containing others who were checking in late, bit of a security flaw as theres nothing really stopping anyone taking another envelope.

There is a door with your room number on it, through that door is two more doors to two rooms, apartment A and apartment B and a little laundry. After the initial confusion I got into my correct room, it is quite a nice apartment, very spacious with a kitchen area, dining, lounge, balcony with tables and chairs, separate bathroom with a bath and shower combo and of course the bedroom.

First thing to note is, there is no dead bolt lock for the door, not even those little chains. Aircon control is on the wall next to the entrance way. The kitchen had all the necessary utensils, the lounge had a medium sized flat screen, the remote was a little bit broken with the batteries held in with sticky tape, no biggie, you can still use the buttons on the TV itself.

The bathroom was decent size, the bath tub had a good depth but a short length, the shower pressure was not the strongest but not an issue. The balcony is shared with the air con unit, so if you have the air con, it is quite unpleasant to be out there at the same time, the unit is also clearly heard from the bedroom. The window in the bedroom was a bit difficult to operate, must be some loose parts in the mechanism.

As far as I saw there was not much in the immediate vicinity of the property in terms of food or retail outlets. There is a petrol station very close by with the usual inventory a petrol station carries.

Upon reading the welcome pack it stated I had to call to arrange to check out if before 8:30am, so the next day I called the provided number. I was hung up on twice and reached a busy/disconnected line a few times, eventually I reached an operator and the procedure was to call the number again and I will be given the code to the safe again to drop my key off.

Lastly, for the most part I used a towel I had brought with me until the last day as it was going to sit in the car while I was at work and did not want the wet towel to stink. I grabbed one of the towels and discovered a blood like stain, picked up the other towel and it had stains on it as well as a few holes.

This hotel is great value for what you get, but based on my experiences I would recommend pay a little bit extra and book somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Michael C
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed with Ipanema at their studio apartment for 3 nights. Quick and no frills check in process even though we came way past their reception closing, got to my apartment without having to wait. Apartment was clean, well equipped and definitely comfortable! What a gem! Toilet was huge and clean, although we had to provide our own toilet paper when the only roll ran out, but that was okay. There was a small kitchen for us to do our cooking and a washing machine and dryer just outside the apartment. It was useful for us as we were theme park hopping and definitely appreciated clean clothes. The complex also had a small gym and swimming pool.

The resort was some distance from surfers paradise central but the 15 min walk was scenic and cooling. There are also many bus services just outside the resort to surfers paradise, the airport and all the theme parks, definitely convenient!

Only downside was that the balcony had no lights and only one chair. I had to enjoy my steak over a great view of the river, standing as my girlfriend took her well deserved seat.

Would definitely stay here again! Thumbs up!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yshon
Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with this premise during July 2013. This property is conveniently located about halfway between Surfers Paradise and the Casino. Its common facilities include a pool, sauna and a gym.

Reception hours are short. They were closed when I arrived at about 2pm on a Saturday. Lucky the after-hours check-in procedure was rather smooth and we were able to get in ok in about 10 min after making a phone call. They do allow you to store your bags there after checkout during their reception hours.

The room was average. We got a twin room with a balcony with great views looking onto the highway in the upper floor. First impression of the room is not too clean. Bed is average. TV size is small. Tables and chairs are only outside at the balcony. Bathroom is larger than average.

Room facilities include a kitchenette with a fridge, microwave and cooktop. Basic cooking utensils are provided. There is also a shared laundry with another room and it has a washer and a dryer. There is no room service available and any supplies that runs out (eg: coffee, tea, toilet paper etc.), you have to get them at a supermarket.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay here for 7 nights. Ipanema represents excellent value for money. The resort is immaculate and the staff totally fantastic with a "can do" attitude not often found nowadays. Takes around 10 mins to walk to either surfers or Broadbeach. Our stay was totally perfect!

• Stayed August 2013
Singapore
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great value for money at only $80 per night for 5 days, in a one bedroom apartment. The apartment was spacious, well equipped and clean. For what I paid, I think its amazing value for money! The only thing I would say to those considering this place is that although this place is located in Surfers Paradise, the beach is actually about 1.5km away so if you don't have a car, its a long walk. Also, you need to pay to use the Internet. It cost me $40 for a 1 week internet plan.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ktsl83
Dapto, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This apartment has been one of the best finds on the Gold Coast. A good price, only a few blocks from the beach, a pool, BBQ area and extra large rooms were perfect fro our family of four. With two teenagers, being able to have separate sleeping areas is a must and this property fitted our needs perfectly.

A full kitchen with all the tools for self catering, a family sized bathroom and adjoining rooms that are well maintained made our stay a treat. Best ever deal we have seen.

Room Tip: Ask for a two bedroom family option to get adjoining rooms with a separate bathroom in each - especi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family