“Great Family Resort”

Mantra Crown Towers
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Family Resort”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

we have stayed here numerous times before, this time we noticed they have upgraded the grounds, they now have a fantastic BBQ area as well as a new heated outdoor spa I still believe they have the best pool on the gold coast, our appartment was very modern and clean will definately be returning next year

Room Tip: I love the rooms over looking the pool
2 Thank idaho3076
MantraCrownTowers, General Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Guest,
It's lovely to read you enjoyed your time with us.
The new outdoor spa is large / heated and a nice place to relax. The BBQ is a nice addition to our property.
We look forard to your next visit - don't hesitate to get in touch with me when you woudl like to make your next reservation
Darren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Only stayed here because there was a group of us down the Coast for a birthday celebration. Not my sort of hotel at all and I was definitely not happy with having to book and pay for two nights even though I only wanted to stay just the Friday night. I had thought that maybe I could make a weekend of it but unfortunately I hated the hotel so much that, even though I had paid for two nights, I didn't stay the second night.

The reception staff are cheerful and efficient so that did make a difference and there is plenty of parking, which is also good. However, rooms in the "Atrium" section are definitely to be avoided. Was first put into Room 906 - not a particularly nice room at all. Very 90's style and dated but it did have tiny glimpses of ocean. However, the first thing I had to do was get the air conditioning on - it was so stuffy and smelly in the room. Put the air con on - OMG. It sounded like a load of jackhammers in the roof. In fact when i went down to reception to complain, as I stood by the lifts way over the other side of the hotel, I could hear the noise from my air conditioner. Cut a long story short, they couldn't fix it so I had to move rooms to a floor below (801) which I was not happy about on all counts - floor lower, right near the lifts and on opposite side with only a view of a car park.

The second room was just as outdated but was dismayed when I walked in as there was a cot and a foldaway bed in the lounge room!! The hotel person who was helping me move was most apologetic but I was in a hurry and now, due to all the hassles, was running very late for dinner so I told him not to worry, just get rid of the cot.

The air con in the second room wasn't exactly quiet and didn't seem to ever get very cold. The bed was absolutely horrible and I got hardly any sleep.

All in all - it looks like if you are lucky enough to have rooms higher up in the other section of the hotel then you might enjoy your stay. If you are here with a family that likes the pool, then you would definitely enjoy it here as it appears they have several pools and things for the kids. But for me, a definite thumbs down. Was just not worth the money I paid, not when there are so many other choices of hotel around Surfers and at much better rates.

Room Tip: Try to get in the section that is labelled as "floors 12 and above". Higher floors appear...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank BrisCaz
Dear Briscaz,
Thanks you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I have shared your comments with our team and sorry to read you stay was not enjoyable as we would like it to be.
The views are spectacular from our property, the majority of our 2 and all our 3 bedroom apartments are located in the tower you mention (12th floor and avove).
We would of course would always do our best with floor requests - if you do return, please just note this at the time of reservation.
Sincerely
Ceduna, Australia
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Mantra. We stayed in room 307 and whilst it was very dated and not the cleanest room, it was very comfortable. The room could have done with some more information about the surrounding area and services, we desperately needed a chemist and groceries but could not find info.
When my family set eyes on the pool, the room became irrelevant. The pool area is fantastic and is open late to maximise the time you spend there. The people in the cafe's were very friendly and went beyond the call of duty to assist us. The location is perfect and the pools are a absolute treat.
If I had read the reviews prior to coming to stay, I would have changed our booking to stay somewhere else. I am glad we stayed, our stay was great. It seems a shame that the accommodation facilities are inconsistent. I would stay again if we had a stay like the one we just had.
We have recommended the Mantra Crown to all of our friends, so I am now a bit nervous that they will not have the same stay we did. Perhaps if the rooms are being charged out at a set rate some form of set room standards should be implemented.

1 Thank Michele J
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I am getting a bit worried about what we might find after reading some reviews when we go to the hotel next week. The pools do look amazing but we have a 3 year old and we really hope that we get a decent room.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sharon M
Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My family and I have stayed at the Mantra Crown Towers at least 4 times in the last 18 months. Each time our rooms have gotten worse but are still at a decent standard We usually book through Wotif and have always been above the 13 th floor. Last booking at the beginning of the year I booked through the Mantra reservations and was allocated a room on the 12th or 11th floor. Already being disappointed at being so low we didn't hold much expectations for the room. And oh my god it was disgusting. We found rubbish, the tv was smaller than my computer screen at home. The walls were filthyand I don't know the last time the carpets were cleaned (not great with a six month old trying to crawl), the air conditioning leaked down the wall, you could see where shelves had been pulled off the wall, Christmas rubbish in the cupboard, old outdated furniture and appliances and the list goes on and on. You couldn't even call it one star. My husband went down and complained and let them know we had stayed before and this apartment was way under par. We were told we would have to stay in there that night as the manager wouldn't be back until the next morning. We decided to give them til 9 am the next morning to call and find us another room. At 830 they rang and said they had another apartment to look at, my husband went up and looked and here is what he found.
High up on level 35 the room was clean, the appliances worked the room was beautiful. 2 bed 2 bath with more room than you could ever need. We packed and moved as soon as the room was ready. The manager Tammy we spoke with was very very helpful and was very apologetic about the first room.
I have read through a lot of the reviews on trip advisor and would seem the rooms are like a lotto draw. I know Mantra Group are not the ones who decorate the rooms etc as they are individually owned. But I do think that there needs to be a major upgrade to some of these rooms and they should all meet the 4 and a half star standard.
My family and I were extremely happy with the 2nd room we stayed in but would not wish the firs one on our worst enemy. We used the pool, the restaurant and beachside cafe which were all above standard. It's a quick walk to the beach and the other beautiful restaurants in caville ave. we love hurricanes!
My family and I will stay again. But it's time someone got onto the owners and made the rooms up to the Mantra standard that a lot of people know and love.
Thanks again to Tammy Lynch who helped make our stay so unbelievable we didn't want to leave the apartment and come home. If it wasn't for her and we were made to stay in the original apartment it would have been a 1 star review

Room Tip: Call crown towers direct, ask for specifics - updated, ocean view above 13 th floor
1 Thank Tory79
MantraCrownTowers, General Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Tony,
I have passed your comments through to Tammy and the Team, they are always delighted to read their service provided you with a nice experience.
I will review the initial apartment and engage to have any areas that fall short addressed.
I am sincerely glad to read you settled in and enjoyed your time with us her on the 'Coast'.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We have just arrived home from a 3 night/4 day stay at Mantra Crown Towers with My Wife, myself, and 3 kids 9/6/2.
I had stayed here 9 years and it was great.
We had a 3 Bedroom Apartment on the 18th floor overlooking the beach and Surfers Paradise.
The room was pretty good, although 1 air conditioner wasn't operating to capacity in main bedroom but it cooled down in the end.
The bedrooms had modern doona covers and the apartment would have had a few updates to bring it up to a modern look. The kitchen etc was very 90's but overall it was clean and tidy and at least I wasn't to stressed with the kids running around.
The pool is the best around for family and kids, we just said today it would be the best up there with a great kids pool, and lagoon large pool for older kids and family.
Also the pool kiosk is great with superb coffee and food all day.

Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments, our pools are fantastic for children as you mention.
Incidentally our outdoor kids pool is now heated, which will be nice in the milder months ahead.
We hope to welcome you back again
Sincerely
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We just returned from our 7 day stay. We had a fantastic room on level 29 (will request this again if we can when we come back). It had been updated recently although maybe a new mattress for the main bedroom would be good as it was a little lumpy and lopsided. The pools were so perfect, plenty of room for everyone and very clean. We loved the convenient location from Cavill Avenue and other family centric activities. Even the construction noise of the light rail or rooms being refurbished although annoying at times was bearable from our floor level. The reception and cafe staff were very friendly.

The only thing you need to sort out is the overzealous female security lady. She actually scared my two children every day they went to the pool and made this part a little less enjoyable. My daughter would even look out over the balcony and sigh when she saw her walking around. She needs to lighten up a little and let the kids have fun. There were many parents who were annoyed at her. There is a fine balance between being safe and being over safe. Especially when 9 times out of 10 there was a parent present in the actual pool to catch kids on the slides or make sure they followed the rules of the pool.

Also you should make balconies smoke free as well. We had people in the room below us (possibly room 2804) who smoked every ten minutes. With two young children we had to keep our balcony doors closed during those times as the fresh air was killed by smoke! That killer view was not enjoyed as much as we had hoped due to this.

We can't wait to come back again though. The whole family enjoyed their stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2904. Newish carpets, nice furniture and clean bathrooms. Great aspect looking north up...
Dear Kim G,
I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and spent plenty of time in our fantastic pools!
Security is important to us especially during this very period, I understand there can be a fine line as does Sarah whom you mention. I will pass your comments through to her.
We look forward to your next visit indeed!