“Beware- most apartments not as good as their marketing images.”

Mantra Crown Towers
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I booked this hotel after reading others' warnings about the images not matching the actuality, but thought that booking through Booking.com, not the local tourist bureau, would mean that we would be given a better apartment. I was wrong- the apartment we were allocated looked like it had last had the interior updated circa 1990- everything was tired and shabby looking. After requesting a change at reception, we were allocated apartment 1202, which was much better, with a huge balcony, but not totally clean. There was actually a plastic supermarket bag with cigarette butts floating about, and visible down below in the void(?) is what looks like years worth of rubbish dropped from floors above. On the positive side, the pool area, including large heated outdoor spa and indoor pool. Children are well catered for, with a slide and shallow areas. The Thai restaurant was also very good, with well priced authentic food and speedy service. The front reception staff were efficient and friendly.

In summary, I am glad that the children had a great time in the pool- I will book elsewhere next time, as it is too risky that you would be stuck with a 2-3 star apartment, after paying a four star price.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank wattleflower
MantraCrownTowers, General Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear wattleflower,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I am pleased to read your positive comments regarding our resort, of course it appears the apartment fell short on your expectation initiially. I will address these concerns by reviewing the apartment provided.
If your travel plans do indeed see you return to our resort I hope I have the chance to personally ensure a pleasant enjoyable stay that exceeds expectations.
Darren

Write a ReviewReviews (2,417)

Reviewed December 22, 2013

The Mantra Crown Towers, room 710, provided a nice stay that exceeded my expectations.

The Hotel:
The building and exterior are in very good condition and the lawn areas appear expertly maintained and look nice. The hotel was architecturally very pleasing to the eye both inside and out. The interior had an unusual design where the first 15 or so floors have an inward stepped appearance which provided a large atrium then it transitions into the hotel tower. (See photos) The lobby and cafe was located inside the huge atrium that included a skywalk made to look like a shipwreck on third floor. The hotel was very quiet and despite being adjacent to an amusement park.

The Apartment:
The apartment was as in great condition with the only one problem I did notice is the couch in this room did show signs of wear. It looked as if someone's children were allowed to jump on it constantly but that is not the hotel's fault and did not impact my stay. The apartment contained a full kitchen with oven/microwave/dish washer as well as plates, utensils, cups, glasses, etc and it also had a washer/dryer as well. The hotel provided a starter pack of dish washing detergent, dish washer soap, and laundry detergent. The apartment I was in did not appear dated as some have mentioned except for the previously mentioned couch. The apartment appeared very clean and I did not run into any maintenance issues while staying there.

Hotel Facilities:
The hotels pools were in excellent condition and looked very nice but I did not spend any time there with the beach just yards (or meters) away. There is a Thai restaurant adjacent to the lobby that seemed to be pretty busy but I was unable to find time to visit during my stay. There is also a cafe right in the lobby which looked very nice but I did not visit there either. So I expect there is little likelihood of starvation setting in while staying at this hotel. :-)

The Staff:
I signed up for several tours that the front desk staff was very helpful in getting setup including Lady Elliot Island, Byron Bay, and the SuperDuck. There are a number of tours that can be scheduled to various attractions and the brochures are available in the lobby. While the hotel staff is only there from 7 am to 8 pm I did observe security staff keeping a watchful eye on the property at night. The front desk staff was always friendly and ready to help in fact they got me booked on the Gold Coast Transfer with just a couple of hours advance notice. They did recommend booking the transfers a day in advance.

Getting There:
Once I arrived at the Gold Coast Airport, I took a cab to the hotel which was 63 Australian Dollars (AUD). This I thought was a little pricey but quick method to get there despite having to travel around the light rail construction. Turns out there is a better alternative which is the Gold Coast Airport Transfer but I only discovered where this office is located in the airport during my flight back to Sydney. The office for the Transfer is on the right hand wall when walking down the main airport departure hall toward baggage claim. If I had known that I might have explored that as an option for getting to the hotel. On the return trip the GC Transfer which was only 19 AUD and unlike many shuttles I have been on was not crowded or a rough ride.

Nearby Businesses and Attractions:
The hotel is very convenient to shopping and dining establishments near Cavil Ave. Getting there will take you about 5 to 10 minutes walking. You are just a short walking distance from the entrance to Surfer's Paradise (see photos.)

Adrenalin Park:
Which is next door has about the largest sling shot I have ever seen. It's rides I deem to be vomit inducing however that is just my opinion.

Food & Shopping:
There is a Coles and Woolworths (supermarkets) in close proximity to Cavil Ave. There are a number of restaurants and fast food establishments in and around the mall area. So just a bit of walking and you are in good shape for food, shopping, etc. during your stay. There is a Hard Rock restaurant in the mall as well.

Bars:
Ok so if you are looking for a good pub you will not be disappointed near the Cavil Mall there are a number of pubs as well as what I like to call Beer&Barf bars. The latter being something the 20 somethings seem to like. First the pub that I spent some time in was Fiddler's Green which seemed to be your standard Irish pub and not a B&B bar. Fiddlers had Guinness and the standard Irish pub beers as well as other local beers like Beez Neez, Victoria Bitter (VB), and 4X beers are available there. I liked Beez Neez and 4X so much I never tried VB. The staff seemed to be a little confused at times as to what local beers they had but no big deal. I also avoided all B&B Bars at all cost but if that is your thing they seemed to be plentiful and crowded in the same area around Cavil Ave.

Car Rental:
Right next door to the hotel on Ferny Ave. there is as I recall an Avis car rental so if you are inclined to drive a rental it is conveniently located. I did not give it a whirl since for me it would have been driving on the opposite side of the road.

Beach:
The hotel is very close to the beach/park area on Surfer's Paradise beach however you will need to navigate the construction of the light rail that is occurring on the street behind the hotel. This again is not the hotels fault. December is a great month to visit the area and the beach did not disappoint and after all that is mainly why I was there. The water was just a tad colder than I like for swimming. The beaches here never seem overly crowded. The beach stretches on for miles in both directions here and its sand has a very unusual texture that is very soft on the feet. Unlike most sand seen which looks like tiny cubes the sand on these beaches is more pellet like and that I believe what makes to so soft.

In reflecting on my stay here, I would not hesitate staying here again or recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank erldprl

Dear erldprl,
Thank you very much for such a positive review, I will share your comments with our team.
The facilities are wonderful at the property and feeling of space in our atrium lobby area is welcoming and unique.
We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back if your travel plans see you return to the Gold Coast.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for two nights mid-week - I asked for a recently refurbished room on checking in (hoping to get something similar to the website photos). We were given keys to room 413 which the gentleman told me the room had been refurbished but not recently. On arriving at the room it appeared he was correct - it had been refurbished.... perhaps in 1982.

The decor of the room was extreeeemely outdated. When I asked to be moved to another room I was told they only had one 2BR room left in the whole hotel which they offered to show me. It had exactly the same dining table, curtain and bedspread fabric (that old mish mash pattern of blues and yellows and maroons) - so I can only assume this was another apartment owned by the same landlord (as all rooms are individually owned) and it was possibly their turn for rents, as the hotel was definitely not full judging by the low attendance at the pool and restaurant.

The old ducted airconditioning sounded like a lawnmower running above our bed.

The mattresses really need a pillow top as you can feel the springs.

The previous tenants kindly left the alarm clock set for 2.30AM, which woke all of us - my 4 year old and my 4 month old included which then took another half hour for me to settle them back to sleep.

I will say that the apartment itself was very clean - sheets and towels all hotel standard. However we were disgusted to find someones discarded rubbish underneath our tv unit which dropped out as we were moving it back into place on leaving. Something I realise the cleaners probably couldn't see - but makes you shudder to think what people were there before you (and that my baby had been crawling on that floor).

I can say that the pool area of this hotel is fabulous - with a kids slide and sand edged pool great for toddlers. The indoor heated lap pool also made for a great place to keep swimming when the wet weather arrived. Coast restaurant located next to the foyer was also great and the staff there were so lovely.

Unfortunately though we will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kenzi8
MantraCrownTowers, General Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I have shared your comments with the Housekeeping Manager and team in order to address the concerns you raised. I am sorry we didn't meet expectations on this occasion, but glad to read you enjoyed our wonderful facilities.
Sincerely

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We booked a three bedroom apartment for five adults. It ticked all of the boxes for what we were looking for - clean, comfortable and close to restaurants and nightlife. The carpet was a bit grubby, as was the lounge, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the apartment so weren't phased by this. I probably wouldn't stay as a couple but it is a great place for a family or group of friends. The Thai restaurant downstairs is one of the best I've been to.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
MantraCrownTowers, General Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear BCleary02,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Our team appreciate reading the positive comments. Indeed our location is nice and convenient to everything and the Thai restaurant has great authentic food.
We hope to welcome you back again in the future
Darren W

Reviewed December 3, 2013

My seven year old son and I stayed at the Mantra Crown Towers in Surfers Paradise in October and we had a fantastic time. It was located close enough to town that we could walk in, and there was a bus stop right across the road. We had a one bedroom apartment which was air conditioned, clean and modern. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. I couldn't hear any noise from neighbouring rooms, and even though we were on a main road the traffic noise was minimal when the verandah doors were closed. The pool facilites were outstanding, and we were very thankful for the heated indoor pool as we did experience a couple of cooler, rainy days. All the staff were friendly and helpful, and having the little cafe next to the pool was terrific. I will absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sireland75

Dear S Ireland
Thanks you for your wonderful comments. Our heated indoor pool is indeed great for those cooler days, we also have now heated our outdoor kids pool so there are still plenty of comfortable facilities for our guests rain, hail or shine.
Best regards
Darren W

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We took a 3 bedroom apartment for 9 nights and it was just fantastic - it had everything we needed and the kitchen was stocked well with pots/pans/ utensils etc and living areas were well equipped and comfortable.

Staff were really friendly and service great. The pool area is fantastic for kids.

The only thing I would say is there was no DVD player in the room and after 3 or 4 hours flat out in the pool most mornings with our young kids, they didnt have much left in them after lunch so we just wanted to relax. We bought our DVD's with us from home. I expect a DVD player in apartments of this standard these days and this Mantra didnt have one, not sure about the rest, We went to K-Mart at Pacific Fair and bought one for $29.

But overall, a great stay and we will definitely be back next year. It was really terrific value for money (we bought on a special).

Room Tip: There is no DVD player in the room. If you need it for the kids, we bought one at K-Mart for $29 at...