“Ok though lacks attention to detail”

International Beach Resort
Gladstone, Australia
“Ok though lacks attention to detail”
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Check in was easy. Room looked like it has been freshened up with new furniture and a paint. Though shower still has black hairs on wall from last people.
Went to use spa and only half the spa worked and no heat. Went to sauna and a used 'feminine' product was on the floor.
Then at 5:00am had to evacuate the building to a fire alarm.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank kimmy_kmr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This resort is great money for value, beachfront location and within walking distance to the heart of surfers paradise. The parking is great, you can park in a secure basement car park and park wherever. The guy who checked us in was very friendly and welcoming. We just stayed for the night and the unit we stayed in looked like they had just put in a new air conditioning and fridge. The views were fantastic! Great place for what you pay for, people always will complain, but for the price definitely will stay here again! Overall very clean apartment and pool was good as well. I think we stayed on the 11

Room Tip: Stay in a high up apartment ocean facing.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Do not stay here!!! We booked a king suite through booking.com. It promised a king bed, air con, balcony with ocean or hinterland views. Reality was a room that smelled of vomit, damp carpet, mould all over the window, a sliding door that took forever to open which led to a balcony that was dirty with warning signs all over it. The seating in the room stunk. The air con unit did not work, I called reception and asked leave only to be told once you collect the keys you are charged with no refund available. I told her i didnt care i just wanted out of that room! I would rather sleep in my car... she then offered another room. The only 1 was a twin suite. A little bit cleaner, but same things mouldy windows, dirty curtains, a tv with remotes that didnt work, an outdated bathroom, a balcony with 1 chair for a twin room? So tired we decided to take it. There were no cafe's as shown on the website. We could see green mould on the bottom of the pool from our room so you could just imagine what nasties were in the spa. Only 1 elevetor was working which was hot and smelly... The worst hotel I have ever seen... Do not stay here!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SURFERS4217, Manager at International Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
We’re disappointed to hear of your experience with us during your stay. The resort is currently in the process of being refurbished to improve facilities and overall comfort of guests. While this work is in progress we are trying very hard to accommodate and address guests concerns as they arise. The work should be completed by the end of the year.

Travelers are raving about these Surfers Paradise hotels

Ballina, Australia
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed for 1 night last week and while the hotel is dated and could do with a paint job, what struck me was how filthy the place is.Hallways were filthy,lift doors probably had about 2 years of grime on and it just stunk. Spa was cold,pool area a disgrace with broken and ripped chairs,restaurant not open.This was lower in rating than a backpackers. Great location but waste of money. Just filthy.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank cher1302
We apologise for any discomfort you experienced during your stay and understand your concerns. The resort is currently in the process of being refurbished to improve facilities and overall experience for guests. This should be completed by the end of the year which will provide a greater level of comfort and enjoyment for guests.
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Decided to stay here to save a 2hr drive home and it allowed a second day at Seaworld. I would say this is one step up from a backpackers resort, or is it? Maybe a back packers would be better. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable and position is good, right on the esplanade opposite the beach. Place appeared to be full of teenagers partying, so if you are ready to party and stay up all night this is your place! Should be called the "banging doors resort" as this was all we seemed to hear all night. That said the under cover parking was good.
I think all the doors need to be fitted with felt or rubber stops to stop them banging all night.
Tennis is off at the moment as it is half covered in old furniture being removed from the rooms.
Make sure you take your own shampoo etc as there is no complementary bottles, nor is there an iron or hair dryer. It is budget but very basic.

Room Tip: Can't comment on cafe downstairs but lack of customers (none) didn't bode well. Go some whe...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your stay with us in February. It’s important for us to be aware of issues that highlight areas where we can improve our guests comfort and experience.  We have discussed your comments with hotel security staff to ensure excess noise issues are monitored and addressed quickly. We encourage all guests who are experiencing any problems from other guests during their stay to contact reception immediately so we can resolve the matter. We have also taken your suggestion on board to take a closer look into the maintenance of doors which require attention.

We apologise for the tennis court not being available as the resort is undergoing refurbishment causing this area to be used for storage for the time being. Our standard room stay does not include complimentary personal products and this is reflected in the affordable rates we are able to pass on to customers. An iron and ironing board is also available from reception for guests to use.

We hope our response has assisted you with your review and if you would like to clarify any issues please don’t hesitate to contact the us directly at the resort.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

From the 3rd to the 6th of January, myself and my two friends (all aged 18) stayed here.
So on the 6th, we cleaned our room to the best of our ability, considering there was no broom or vacuum to clean the carpet. We had not broken anything, left the kitchen (if you could call it that) spotless, cleaned the bathroom, made the beds etc. When we checked out, I handed in our key and we were told by reception that housekeeping was going to perform a room inspection, which was no troubles at all. 5 minutes later, reception received the all clear and was told our room was fine and reception returned the $200 cash we had paid for a bond. We left the gold coast and made the 1 hour drive back to Brisbane.
2 to 3 hours passed and I received a phone call from the International Beach Resort. The very man who had returned my $200 bond back to had called to inform me that a supposedly ‘broken’ window was discovered in our room on a second closer room inspection and I had been charged $275. This was not a ‘you are being charged’ or ‘you will be charged’, it was a ‘you have already been charged without your knowledge’. The window in question was one in the bedroom, the room where we only spent sleeping in and never opened the curtain. I spoke to my bank and discovered they had attempted to take the full $275 out of my account but fortunately enough I didn’t have enough money for the full amount. So they attempted to take a smaller amount ($200), but again, I didn’t have enough. Unfortunately I did have enough for them to take one lot of $99 and one lot of $50. So I drove back down to the hotel.
Upon arrival, the look of shock on the face of the receptionist when I told them who I was was absolutely priceless. When I asked them to show me the window, all they could do was stutter when they told me that it had apparently been already repaired. I demanded to be taken up to see it and after 10 minutes, they agreed. If we had broken this window, glass would have shattered outwards. The cleaners had supposedly vacuumed the outside of the windowsill to clean the glass but there was still plenty of dirt and leaves on it. I asked for a receipt for this window I had paid to ‘fix’, but there was no receipt available. Then I asked for photos of the window but conveniently they had not taken any as proof. Back downstairs, another man was there because the hotel had ripped him off even more so than they had done for me. As you can imagine, I was not in the slightest bit happy so I remained standing at the reception desk talking to a man, who I was first told was the manager of the hotel, but was later told was just the supervisor of reception, named Paul. This man would have to have been one of the most rude and arrogant people I have ever met, stating that it was pointless for me to argue because they weren’t going to give me my money back and, at most, more money was going to be removed. I advised guests who were checking out/checking in/walking past to check their room when they leave and take photos of the windows as we did not do that on departure. We were told to leave because we were ‘making a scene’ and that if we didn’t leave they would make us leave or call the police. We got in first and both called the police because the hotel had stolen money from us. Understandably, the police took about 45 minutes to get there, so in that time, I was told by another receptionist (because Paul, the supervisor, was hiding out in the back room of reception) that she had just spoken to the general manager and he said I would not be getting my money back but the matter will be investigated further. I demanded to talk to the general manager, but was told that he was conveniently ‘unavailable’, even though he had just spoken to reception. I questioned them about reception, received no answer other than the receptionist’s face going bright red in embarrassment.
When the police arrived, I spoke to one officer outside of the hotel whilst the other spoke to reception. Within about 3 minutes, the officer returned and told me the hotel wanted to talk to me. The very same arrogant man (Paul) who told me that they would not be dropping the charges and would not give me my money back, told me that he had spoken to the general manager (who had conveniently become available) had agreed to drop the charges and return the money they had taken from my account back to me.
Additionally, the ‘kitchen’ that was promised did not include an oven and only big enough for 1 person to be in. We received a key on check-in, and when asked for second, we were told there was no spares, every room only had one key.
Never again will I stay at this ridiculous excuse for a ‘beach resort’ again. You would think with a name like ‘International Beach Resort’, there would be some degree of comfort and, at the very least, you would receive receptionists who were not arrogant and rude straight to their guests’ face. I failed to check tripadvisor or any other hotel review sight to see what had been said about this hotel, a mistake I will never make again.
I STRONGLY advise that if anybody is considering making a booking here to NOT DO SO, and those who have made a booking, exercise EXTREME CAUTION and TAKE PHOTOS OF YOUR ROOM, including the windows etc.
To those who have stayed here and have been charged a suspicious amount of money from the hotel, or those who have checked out, PLEASE CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS AND FOLLOW UP! I can only imagine how many people have had similar or if not worse experiences than I have but did not follow up.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. EVER.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank MattMatt_G
Firstly we’d like to apologise for the length of time it has taken to respond to your review. As with all guests comments that raise concerns and complaints are something that we take a very serious approach to, investigating all of the facts. We acknowledge and take full responsibility for the fact that you were not contacted immediately once we discovered the damage to the window after you left and your bond was returned.  Standard procedure in the event that damage is discovered after the guest has checked out and left the property is  to contact the guest immediately to resolve the matter. In this case an error was made by one of our staff when trying to debit funds prior to advising you. It was also an oversight by our room cleaners who did not notice the damage during this inspection and we have reminded all staff to be more diligent with this process.

In relation to how your complaint was dealt with at reception this is obviously an area that could have been handled better. Our staff are encouraged to accommodate guests concerns as best they can, at all times. From our investigation Paul and the team were dealing with multiple issues unusually at the same time and it was not their intention to appear rude. All guests regardless of the circumstances are entitled to quality customer service and we apologise for any discomfort you may have felt.

We are pleased that common sense prevailed and management were able to return your full bond despite the damage. We hope we have been able to provide a suitable response and encourage you to contact us directly to seek any further clarification from the issues you have raised.
Lewes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We needed an overnight stay due to a trip to Fraser Island leaving from Surfers Paradise first thing in the morning so chose to stay here due to the close locale to the pick up point.

Firstly the good - the apartment was a good size, the beds were comfortable and it was clean.

The bad - the receptionist was all over the place and seemed like he couldn't wait to get off work, the place is very dated with 2 very slow and aged lifts. The apartment seemed to have been scented by man's cheap deodorant?

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark-JB123
Thank you for your review we’re glad to hear you enjoyed the comfort of the room. Customer service is very important to us and we have reminded front office staff that they must be attentive to guests at all times. Also, the resort is currently in the process of being refurbished to improve facilities and overall experience for guests. This should be completed by the end of the year and so we do hope to see you again in the future.