“... Where do I start...”

International Beach Resort
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We (as in my boyfriend and I) flew into Surfers Paradise after flying all night and most of the morning...

We arrived at the hotel at approximately 1:30pm on the 31st of December, we booked in and were told the room was not ready yet... We sat in the lobby and waited for a call to say it was ready...
An hour and a half went by before the receptionist reacknowledged our existence and asked what room we were staying in again.
We told him and we're then told we would be upgraded to a one bedroom apartment since our room was still not ready...

We went from having a room with a Queen bed to an apartment with 2 singles.
The room itself was average at best, dated and as basic as they come, we were supplied with 2 towels, one pillow each and 2 soaps yet no shampoo or conditioner.

We left to go around town one morning as housekeeping were doing their rounds and the lift ride down was abysmal- the lifts bump and jerk about and the housekeepers kept calling the lifts to their floor and therefore we kept getting moved back and forth instead of going to the ground floor like we attempted.
Eventually (after 10-15 minutes of annoyance) us and 2 other gentlemen in the lift stopped off at the first floor while we could and took the stairs to the ground floor...
The stairs themselves are an accident waiting to happen...

During our 4 day stay, housekeeping did not attend to our room once, no clean towels or sheets were provided at any time and refills of anything (including toilet paper) had to be provided ourselves...

They say you get what you pay for but this hotel comes in below average, there are some great hotels nearby for very reasonable prices and would recommend anyone to check those out instead of this disaster area...

The only pros of this hotel are the views over surfers paradise beach and the proximity to the centre of town...
If it had not had those things, I doubt we would have stayed more than a night...

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
SURFERS4217, Manager at International Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your stay with us recently. The resort is currently undergoing refurbishment and together with the extremely busy time of the year when you visited, there were some challenges we faced with normal day to day operations. We’re disappointed that we were not able to provide you with a more enjoyable experience.

Room rates are on a non-serviced basis which is consistent with most 'hotel-apartments' here in Surfers Paradise. Previously we charged an additional amount for shampoo and soap, however approximately one month ago we decided to offer these items free of charge with these available from the front desk upon request.

Management are looking forward to completion of the current refurbishment project which we expect to be finished by the end of the year.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I booked this motel for a weeks holiday, December 2013. Upon arrival at 2.00pm book in time was told the room was not ready and they would phone me as soon as it was done. So I took my elderly mother over to the beach to wait after a long drive waited until 3.15 pm and still no phone call I then went back over to ask what was happening, and they said oh yes your room is done now no apology for not contacting me. I then took my mother up to the room and the first thing was the lift only 2 in the complex and only 1 working and that was a scary ride. When I got to our room it was disgusting and that is putting it mildly. I sat my mother out on the patio as I was going down to get the luggage out off the car, and all off a sudden my mother who is 85 yrs old just went straight through the chair and landed on the tiled floor. I went straight down stairs to put in a complaint and it was like well what are you down here telling us your problems for. I then asked to speak to the manager and yes off course they weren't available. Not once during our stay did anybody come up to our room and acknowledge the fact that my mother had an accident. There was next to nothing in the room no jug for water no toaster, bed lamps, no complimentary shampoos or soaps no toilet paper, I sachet off coffee and no sugar or milk, when I went down to ask for these they told me that coffee is $3.00 per sachet sugar $3.00 per sachet, milk $4.00 for the little tiny containers your rooms do not get cleaned during the duration off your stay and if you need clean towels its at a charge to you $2.00 per towel, sheets is $5.00 per sheet. Now I think that this is just absolutely appalling considering the other places around that you can stay for the same price if not cheaper. I will certainly be spreading the word about this motel and the service that I was given here.

Room Tip: There is nothing at all in this whole complex that would be suitable place for anyone to stay disgus...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Pure evil and nasty their is more rubbish in the pool than there is in a bin. If u have a death wish come here then. Rooms are a disgrace and the staff are just as good. I'll be ringing up inspectors to get this place closed down . It's not up to Australian standards if not the world. I can't believe you have to pay Money to stay here they should be paying you

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank Topstory
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Room stank carpet filthy. Disgraceful. I would never stay here again. 2 bed apt for $200 ripped off. The kitchen was disgraceful. Neither tv worked apart from 1 channel and they didn't even have free to air channel's. This is 2 star at best.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank spazshaz
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here a few days ago. Boy there should be a warning outside this place "Stay if you dare". Staff checked us in - that was ok nothing to speak of. Said ur room has been renovated 11th floor but Not Furniture. Well - clean and a great view. What else everything is charge charge charge even a sachet of coffee when the cleaners don't put it in the room. $200 held on ur card yes can understand at Schoolies but for everyday guests???? There is nothing to take from this resort and I do use the word loosely. Just check the room when one is leaving. We were only ones leaving! Yes a TV in main room no tv, bedside cabinet or bedside light in bedroom. No reading in bed No watching tv in bed. I may have only paid $120 for the night but that was for the view Not the room.
My Advise AVOID THIS PLACE it certainly is not a RESORT. Don't WASTE your money there are other places for similar cost during week.

Room Tip: There is none
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple