“So bad I was tempted to get straight back on the bus back home.”
Review of Cheers Backpackers

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Surfers Paradise
Cheers Backpackers
Reviewed September 2, 2011

It was nice to be picked up from the bus station and taken to our hostel but the girl who picked us up looked pretty miserable about it. When we got there they were quick to make us pay for our room as soon as we stepped through the door, maybe because they knew that if we had a chance to look around we would give this dive a miss. The other guests were chavy, our room was dingey, cramped and dirty and don't even get me started on the state of the bathrooms. My friend and I were in tears and definately didn't feel safe here. Thankfully I am staying in a lovely hostel now so my trip hasn't been completely ruined.

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed August 10, 2011

When friends ask, 'so what was your best & worst hostel?'... Well, this, without a moment's hesitation is the worst hostel.

I echo all of the sentiments of the comments underneath, namely; extremely rude, obnoxious and arrogant Millwall (I believe) supporting owner, filthy amenities, filthy rooms, beds plagued with bed lice, uncomfortably warm rooms etc

Would not wish it on my worst enemy to stay in such a hole

Avoid at all costs

Room Tip: Don't get a room. Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank Danziniblo
Reviewed June 12, 2011

This hostel is without a doubt the dirtiest, smelliest, most poorly serviced, run down dump I have every had to put up with. The rooms are small and musty, the beds lumps and uncomfortable. It took 20 min to be served at the front desk, and we were shocked to see how expensive it was for what you got. We hardly slept because of the noise (having got to bed at 3 am i would sleep like a log usually). All amenities are poorly services with the kitchen small and smelly, the showers were dirty and not cleaned once while i was there and the pool cold and uninviting. It would have been cheaper and more comfortable to hire a car and sleep on the back seat. NEVER.

Room Tip: To get the best room do not stay at this slum.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank hto255100
Reviewed January 31, 2011

When I arrived at 'Cheers' I cried. It was so bad I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. Our room wasn't ready till 6pm, and it only provided enough room for us to stand up in single file. It was so ridiculously hot that I thought we were going to run out of air in the middle of the night. We had one fan type object, which feebly blew hot air at the two bottom bunks. I was on the top. It was not pretty.

The rooms were actually the best bit.

The kitchen was swarming with sneaky cockroaches. If you braved it past the roaches you'd be even more disappointed to find that Cheers has a total for 3 forks, 2 knives and about 3 mugs - without handles. The kitchen is so small that it only provides enough room for about 4 people - which clearly doesn't work when the hostel has about 80 rooms. Most of the time we had to drink our coffee/tea out of cereal bowls, and eat with our hands. It was dire.

The pool was alright.

The bathrooms were submerged under a sea of toilet paper and always filthy. I found a condom in there one afternoon, it was delightful.

To make matters worse we were plagued by a creepy jedward type character who would force us to drink everynight. true.

We paid 240 aussie dollars for 1 week and I can honestly say it was the worst money I've ever spent! The internet didn't work, unless you wanted to pay $15 an hour for wireless if you had your own laptop. No thanks.

The only reason we didn't pack up and run for the hills was because it was schoolies week and Surfers P was booked up.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

THE END.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Poor facilities.
Poor cleanliness and hygiene.
Cockroaches under the kitchen and if they are under the kitchen they are in it.
Bed mites due to the bottom sheets never being changed, you are only supplied with one sheet and two pillow cases.
Illegal substances being used on the premises by the staff and guests.
The staff are lacking in organisational skills and are more interested in enjoying themselves than ensuring the guests are interacting at functions.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Do not stay here if you wish to actually sleep. It was so so noisy, it sounded like people were standing out our bedroom door constantly screaming. I don't think i actually even got to sleep untill well after 4:30am, then had to check out by 10am. Plus the mattress were so bad i could feel the metal underneath me.It advertised that there was a spa there but there was not. The bathrooms were so discusting that me and my friends refused to even shower. We figured we would stay cleaner not showering. We were traveling with our american friend who is really only used to the very basics in life & she was even disgusted by this hostel. I defiantly would never stay there again & would not recommend this to anyone else

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank krystalsnow
Reviewed February 22, 2009

I haven't stayed in many backpackers, but ANY place beats Cheers! They say they have a pool and spa... well the spa was NOT working and had rubbish in it and the pool gave me an ear infection!! The Kitchen had rats that we saw crawling through it at night! The fridge was disgusting and fulled with old food, it was very unhygienic and there was NO clean equipment or utensils to be used by anyone! The toilets were unisex and smelly, each room did not have a fan (which was horrible because it was 35 degrees outside when we stayed there) and the beds were about ten cm's thick... if that... Cheers tried to make us pay for the whole ten nights we had booked as soon as we got there (without seeing our rooms) but luckily their eftpos machine was down and we saw our rooms and decided on staying only two nights instead of ten! The staff were super laidback and there was a rule of no alcohol to be brought into the backpackers and they'd take it off you if they found you with it.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends