“Amazing stay, only one problem”

Backpackers In Paradise
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing stay, only one problem”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just finished my 6 nights at this hostel, though it is not the cleanest I had an amazing time with the staff all being welcoming. At times some would be in bad moods but I guess thats just how it goes. The movie theatre is great, though I don't understand why its shut down at 600pm even with people asking to watch movies.. instead they blast music to promote their $6 beers. That was one of my problems, being 5 months into travelling I cannot afford to pay such a price to have a good time. (As we are not allowed to bring our own liquor on premises)

Our bathroom was definetly not the best, flush didnt work and shower was barely working but hey it did the job. If your a backpacker you will make due with anything.
All in all, I had an amazing stay its just a little rough around the edges but the $5 nights out are great and the whole hostel gets into it. The $30 wednesday and saturday nights out were out of my price range but people seemed to enjoy.

My only big problem was returning from the bar at 3am on my last night, the night guard wouldnt even let me sit down on the couch and have a bottle of water due to the fact that the common area is shut from midnight on. I fully understand these rules but as he is shuffling me up the stairs I notice a table of about 6 people sitting around talking yet he is not bothered with them at all because they were his friends...
So let me get this straight. your friends can stay up but I cant sit down and have a drink of water?
I was told "f**k you" numerous times and hey, I'm a customer whos paying 25 bucks a night to be told to f**k off?

All in all that was my only problem which had nothing to do with the rest of the hostel. But management seriously needs to deal with the way he talks to people because i found it disgusting.
I did make amazing friends, a few workers - it is a good hostel but just needs some fine tuning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Hi Anelisa,
Firstly i would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. Can you please email me on manger@backpackersinparadise.com and let me know the room you were in so i can fix the problems with the bathroom and also can you describe the night watch so i can take action. I will not have any of my staff act like this towards guest and i apologise.

Im glad you got to meet our other staff members that made you feel welcome.

If you come back to the Gold Coast please email me direct and i will personaly make sure you are looked after.

Markus Warren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This backpackers was the worst we stayed in - including $12 a night hostels in Cairns!

The blonde guy on reception was helpful, but the girl with the tongue piercing looked like she wanted to go home constantly. She wasn't helpful and continually answered the phone whilst we were trying to make bookings for day trips - we ended up just going into town and booking our own.

We booked a four bed dorm, which was advertised with a bathroom. However, we had to share one toilet and one shower with the ten bed dorm next to us. 14 people fighting for one shower and toilet is ridiculous. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting, there was mould everywhere, the room smelt, there were tiny little bugs everywhere, and the shower looked like it never got cleaned. Cleaners went in once a day but merely wiped down once - the shower could have done with some exit mould!

On our first night, a guy from the ten bed dorm next to us vomited in the shower, meaning that none of us were able to shower in the morning without standing in his vomit. The shower wasn't powerful enough to wash away the chunks of vomit and even two nights later whilst showering in flip flops it was still disgusting. The cleaners came in and barely made a difference. There were no other toilets or showers you could use anywhere - if you desperately needed the toilet you simply couldn't go.

The two bunkbeds in the room squeaked like nothing I've ever heard before - if somebody in the room rolled over in their sleep it was likely to wake you up. There were four cabinets that you could put your things in and lock - one of these was completely filled with empty beer bottles, and another the part you put your padlock through was broken. There were other people's bikinis, underwear, towels, clothes and drinks left in our room when we checked in that didn't belong to anybody.

There was also no air conditioning, and the other people in our room liked to have the window open. It just so happened that the room we were put in had its window right above where all the smokers liked to light up. Disgusting. One tiny pedestal fan in a room doesn't do anything, especially if you're on the top bunk.

We went to use the kitchen once but the fridge was so completely full with people's food that it was leaking with water and didn't look to be working properly. We didn't want to risk it and ate out at night.

They make you pay for your stay before you get to see how disgusting the rooms and bathrooms are, and don't offer refunds, so what could we do?

Do not stay here. There are plenty of other places around that were better.

1 Thank Gera_312
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hi Gera,
I would firstly like to appologize for any problems you had while staying with us. When you made your booking it was for a 4 bed dorm shared bathroom. While you were in house unfortunately you had a groupe of very disrespectful backpackers next door to you who after there first night were kicked out of our hostel. If you would have came to reception and seen me while in house i would have upgraded you for free so you would not have experienced what you did. All bathrooms in all rooms are cleaned daily by a team of three cleaners and i personally do room checks to make sure the cleaning is kept to a high standard i will be the first to admit that your bathroom was not at a clean standard and since reading your review i have closed down the room and we are having it detailed before reopening to guest.
I appreciate all feedback as it helps me better my hostel for all guest.

If you make it back to surfers paradise please contact me on manager@backpackersinparadise.com as i would like to offer you a free nights stay to make sure you leave with a better outlook on our hostel.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

i have just finished my short stay at this hostel and i was very impressed with the friendly welcoming attitude all the staff had. i arrived in the evening and upon arival the female receptionist was really friendly and explained all the facilities to me, she told me about the different nights out and made me feel really welcome. she had some one help me to my room with my backpack too which was really nice, she also made the effort to speak to me over the next few days to see how my stay was. over my stay here the rooms were tidy and cleaned daily, overall a very pleasant experience :) would definatly reccomend to other backpackers travelling in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Hi Jemma ,
Thank you very much for your review and we are glad to hear you had a good time in our hostel.

We appreciate all feed back and hope to see you again.

Regards
Markus
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Upon on arrival, there was quite a queue to check in which happened a lot whenever we needed to speak to anyone at reception. Although most staff quite helpful, could do with more staff on the front desk.
We shared a four bed dorm. There were towels, empty bottles, dirty knickers left from what I presume were people before. These remained in our room the whole time we were there. We never once saw anyone come and clean the room. The bathroom was dirty with cockroaches.
We went on the Backpackers Big Night Out which was quite badly organised. Promised 4 clubs with free and discounted drinks, went to two clubs with very few offers. Other hostels had their reps who looked after their group a lot better than the girls in charge of ours!
The bar and shop on site are quite good. The hostel promotes that there is a movie room but this only stays open til 6.
The kitchen is really small and thin and thr only common area is outside.
The one thing this hostel does have going for it is the location. Only a ten minute walk to the beach and bars.

• Stayed January 2013
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Hi Sara,
Firstly i would like to apologise for the wait time at our reception as it was Australia Day long weekend and we were extremely full and had two staff on witch normally is plenty.
Your room was cleaned daily by a team of three cleaners and all bathrooms are cleaned and scrubed daily. When you checked in if you would have came straight to reception and made myself or any of my staff aware of any problems you had we could have fixed it straight away for you. I appreciate all feed back as it helps me better our hostel.

If you decied to come back to the gold coast please email me @ manager@backpackersinparadise.com and i will personally make sure you are well looked after and leave with a better outlook on our hostel.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The facility is great, staff are realy polite and helpful!
The location is almost as central as i gets and its realy close to the beach aswell as the clubs.
They also have a clean and well maintained pool, pooltable and a pingpongtable.

Absolutley recommended to backpackers that likes to go out party, being social etc etc, that they have a almost always open bar together with a nigthly club gathering with good offers and such!
Only downside realy is the lickerlicense tho it makes BYO impossible at the facility!

Room Tip: Check for aircondition :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hi Guys ,

We appreciate all feed back and hope to see you again.

kind regards
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is the worst hostel we stayed in so far in Australia. It's called Backpackers in Paradise, but it definitely is the opposite. When we arrived with in total 4 people we had to wait a long time in line for the reception. When we got to our room, there were only 3 beds for the four of us, so we went back to the reception and told them. 2 guys had to be checked out of our room that morning, but didn't. We had to wait an hour before someone told the guys to check out, the guys to collect their stuff and we could go in. Once we got in, we saw that our room was very dirty. The reception told us they would send someone to clean the room. A guy with a garbage bag came in to collect some empty bottles off the floor. We had to ask him if he could take dirty boxer shorts with him (and more stuff) probably from the guys who just checked out of the room. The people working at the hostel were not nice and helpful at all. When we asked for a small compensation the guy working there went to get his manager but the manager did not give us any compensation. Well okay.., our room was 'clean' but then we saw the shower/toilet. It was disgusting! Fungus all over the sealing, hairs all over the floor and a very old toilet and shower who had to be renewed years ago! On top of that, we had to share the toilet/bathroom with 14 people in total!! (not only our room; 10 bed mixed dorm). Other than that, our room had no daylight, because our windows where covered with a dark strip. The whole hostel was just old wood and everything was very crappy. The kitchen was very small and there were only about two pots and pans for the whole hostel. You don't want to be cooking in there. I would never go back to this hostel, I would rather sleep on the street.

Room Tip: Don't stay in this hostel.
2 Thank annev12345
Hi there i would firstly like to apologise for any problems you may of had while staying at our hostel. I do room checks all the time to make sure my cleaners are keeping to a high standard and after looking at your bathroom i passed it with no problems. I was unable to offer you a upgrade as we were 100% full other wise i would have had no problems in upgrading you for free. I appreciate all feed back as it helps better our hostel. If you decide to come back to the gold coast please email me @ manager@backpackersinparadise.com and i will make your you leave with a better outlook on our hostel as thousands of other people have.

manager
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived we were told that our booking had been put in for the wrong dates, apparently a booking.com issue! And they were full! The guy behind the reception was as helpful as he could be, booked us into a hostel up the road, which was pretty awful!

We came back the next day, and checked into a private room with a double bed and single bunk bed style thing. Was fine and clean, shared bathroom was fine, however the room was stinking hot! No ceiling fan and there was only a floor fan which plugged in at the only PowerPoint which wasn't in a good place for cooling the room! It certainly didn't reach the top bunk! However chatting to some of the others staying in larger dorms they didn't have fans at all so I guess we were lucky!

The luggage storage is basically just leaving your bag in the pool room, not exactly safe but then it's free!

The one good thing was we sent some greyhound tickets to the office to be printed and forgot to collect them and they put them under our door!

Interesting experience, I was glad it was just a short stay!

• Stayed January 2013
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Hi My name is Markus and im the manager of backpackers in paradise i would firstly like to apologise about the booking.com mix up we had not recived a comformation email from them i have contacted them to make sure this will not happen again. After reading your review i have looked into the fan problem. Unfortunately in our tripple rooms we can not have ceiling fans so i have looked into more floor fans to help cool the room down. I do appreciate all feed back as it helps me better our hostel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
Mantra Legends Hotel
Mantra Legends Hotel
#9 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Novotel Surfers Paradise
Novotel Surfers Paradise
#14 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Surfers Paradise Backpackers Resort
Surfers Paradise Backpackers Res...
#35 of 122 in Surfers Paradise
#62 of 122 in Surfers Paradise
Sleeping Inn Backpackers
Sleeping Inn Backpackers
#39 of 122 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Backpackers In Paradise? Share your experiences!