“Great view, but”

Breakfree Longbeach Resort
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Great view, but”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The apartment was clean enough, but needed some maintance done, the front door did'nt close properly unless kicked closed, the curtains kept coming of the hooks, there was no half brush and shovel, no folder with information about apartment facilties etc. That said had a great stay, excellent views and handy to amenities. 4 nights room 501

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jan r, General Manager at Breakfree Longbeach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
thankyou for taking the time to review Breakfree Longbeach. We have taken note of your comments and the problems have been dealt with. We do have a maintenance person on site, and if reported to reception we would like to sort out your issues immediately. Our compendiums are being upgraded at the moment, and should all be completed in a few days. Thank you for your comments and glad that you had a great stay with us. We would love to have you visit again and please call me personally and I will ensure that your unit is 100%
Jan Rennie General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed 5 nights and great view from room,woke up with beautiful Sunrise.
Friendly staff,Indoor poor, outdoor poor,gym,perfect!!
And 1 min to the beach. Quiet at night.
Room was tidy and there was almost everything you need.
Coles,wooly are walking distance,also IGA too.
Many restaurants around this area.

Thank you for provided me cozy stay !
I will staying there when i visit to Gold Coast next time as well :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Breakfree Longbeach Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is a great way for others to learn about our wonderful views, and great location close to all the restaurants coffee shops and next to the beach. We appreciate your comments about our friendly staff - we have fun working at Longbeach and we work hard at making sure you have a great holiday. The sun rise views are spectacular and of course we have the whales passing at the moment so we are also getting wonderful views of them as well.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the Gold Coast
gold coast
Reviewed May 27, 2012

On arrival the staff were friendly, the rooms were spacious, & clean but the furniture was very old dated, it flet like you had gone back in time to the early 80's, I was shocked that this old dated about 30 year old furniture which was warn, faded and probably the original furniture as it was the old dated creeky, uncomfortable cane furniture from back in the 80's. It should have been taken to the tip.

The shower was roomy but the water flow was the worst I have ever seen in a resort anywhere in the world. It took 11 seconds just to fill your cupped hands to splash on your face, You had to spend 3 times as long in the shower just to get wet or to try and wash off the soap which was difficult considering the water was like a trickle. The effort just to get your hole body wet was ridiculous and after you felt like you hadnt even had a shower. A girl trying to wash her long hair would never get the shampoo out the pressure was that bad.
water saving devices taken to a ridiculous degree. I would have left if I hadnt of already paid for the 3 nights.
The views were good, The beds were basic but clean, however the rolled around on the floor if you moved in bed.
Location the property is close & handy to the middle of Surfers some restaurants and night life.

Room Tip: handy to everything, but very dated old furniture that should have been replaced years ago @ bedroo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Jan r, General Manager at Breakfree Longbeach Resort, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you Jeff for taking the time to write a review about Breakfree Longbeach. I am sorry you had a problem with your water. Please let us know at reception and we would be happy to room move or have a plumber come in to sort out the problem. The unit you stayed in on the 22nd floor does have amazing views with lovely renovated bathrooms and kitchen, but I do understand that cane furniture is no everyone’s cup of tea. We do constantly work with owners to upgrade their units and we would have been happy to move you to a unit with furniture more to your liking.
We would love you come and stay with us again when you are next in the Gold Coast and I will personally make sure you are in one of our many more modern units.
Thanks again for staying with us and taking time out to give us your valuable feed back
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed for three nights on the 12th floor and totally enjoyed it. The beach views are fantastic and although it is a few blocks from Surfers, it is much quieter than staying in Surfers central. The beach is a short walk across the road and shops and restaurants are not far away. The gym, pools, tennis court and BBQ areas were excellent.
There is not an onsite café like some other Breakfree resorts, but the functional kitchen makes self catering easy. The management were friendly and helpful. The only negatives were – a hard and uncomfortable bed, only 2 thin towels (and no hand towel or washers) and an out of order air conditioning unit (not that we needed it). We were most happy with the resort and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Jan r, General Manager at Breakfree Longbeach Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you John for taking the time to write a review about Breakfree Longbeach. We do find our great location one of our best selling points. Being able to offer ocean views from all our units, and being across the road from the beach, close to Surfers without being right in the centre certainly is a big plus. Being a slightly older building does mean our apartments are nice and spacious with large functional kitchens. Breakfast on the balcony watching whales passing during the whale season is wonderful! We are working with owners at the moment and we are striving to have the majority of our units with air-conditioners very soon. We would love you to stay again, and if you request air-conditioning I am sure we will be able to accommodate you. I do understand being in Queensland air-conditioning is very important. I am sorry you only had 2 thin towels. It is our policy to provide 4 good quality towels in a 2 bedroom unit and we will be looking into have face washers provided.
Hope to see you again in the future.
Jan and staff at Breakfree Longbeach
NZ
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Got a good rate weekedn rate of $101 per night on a discount accommodation site for a one bedroom apartment on 4th floor. Very pleased. The apartment was spacious and spotless. The resort facilities are excellent with indoor and outdoor pools, a spa, a good bbq area and literally two minute walk from the golden sands. With sea views - what's not to like? The Zimbabwean lady was especailly helpful as the room configuration was not as I'd requested but she sorted that out for me. i'll definitely be back. My only negative was that there were only two towels supplied for my stay and if I wanted more I had to pay $3 a towel. For such a good experience in all other ways, they let themselves down on this one point. Two towels for two people for showers, beach and pool for three days is just not enough - hope management takes note.

Room Tip: maybe take ear plugs - night life was boisterours on the street below
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Jan r, General Manager at Breakfree Longbeach Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thankyou so much for taking the time to write a review and we really appreciate your good comments about the cleanliness for our units and facilities. I will pass this on to the housekeeping and cleaning team, as they do work very hard and take a lot of pride in their work. We are very lucky at Longbeach that all our units have ocean views, so always have satisfied guests on that count. Being over the road from the gorgeous Gold Coast beaches and just a few blocks from the hub of Surfers certainly is a great selling point for us and of course perfect for us who live on site. I have taken note of your comments about the towels and it is certainly something that I will be looking into. It is good for us to get constructive criticism so we can work hard at creating the perfect holiday destination. Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Breakfree Longbeach on your next visit to the Gold Coast.
Swan Hill, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed for 8 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the accomodation (1605 & 1501). Cleanliness was good, pool and spa clean and so close to surfers. Friendly and accommodating hotel staff. My only criticsism would be the air conditioning wasn't great in the main bedrooms and tv's were outdated. However would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brad M
Jan r, General Manager at Breakfree Longbeach Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Thanks Brad for taking the time to write a review on Breakfree Longbeach. I will pass on your comments about our clean rooms, and facilities to the staff. Cleanliness is a big focus and we appreciate your positive feed back. We are working with owners at upgrading the air-cons and tvs and are hoping to have the majority done within a short time.
Thanks for staying with us - we enjoyed having you and look forward to you staying again on your next trip to the Surfers Paradise
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stayed between 18th - 21st of Feb. Made booking after seeing the pictures of a two bedroom apartment provided by management. Shocked by the room when I first walked in. It was a room which time forgot...
Decor was old and worn, bathrooms where dirty (hair on the floor, sand in the shower), the toilet roll holder was broken off and found in the vanity draw. Footprints on the glass coffee table. There was air conditioning but was broken and out of service. The cable television they promise was non existent?? The queen bed was so bad with my partner and I in the bed It sunk in the middle, so she had to to sleep in a single bed in the second bedroom. I know It sounds like Im going on but It was that bad!
When I arrived, I was going to purchase my theme park tickets at reception. The employee was not real sure how to do this obviously, though continued with the purchase. When It seemed Id been overcharged, I asked her to cancel the tickets. She told me she would later that afternoon and said I will give you a courtesy call that she has canceled them. That call never came. The afternoon of my check out a gentleman of Breakfree called to chase up my outstanding balance of $640 of theme park tickets!
BAD BAD BAD!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris K
Jan r, General Manager at Breakfree Longbeach Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Chris thank you for taking the time to write a comment on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to read your review and was most concerned about your comments on the cleanliness of the unit. We do pay particular attention to this area but obviously on this occasion we dropped the ball. I have noted your comments about the decor and bed and will be in contact with the owner about refurbishing the unit. I would be grateful in you could contact me and ensure that all other concerns are rectified. We would hope to have you visit our resort sometime in the future where I am sure we will impress you with our units and cleanliness.
Jan Rennie