“not impressed- was immensely disappointed!”

Alpha Sovereign Hotel
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed January 26, 2011

staff- the Males at reception were helpful and nice. The female was useless and incredibly rude. Her phone manner was disgusting and i avoided reception if she was there! the restaurant staff were RUDE and USELESS all bar one of the younger girls and the breakfast cook, they were lovely. infact one of the staff approached my partner and asked "why are you eating, its not your name on the hotel room" um.... every other day the bill was signed at the end.. we went to another hotel for buffet breakfast where the staff was nicer, more of a variety of food, pancakes as the pancake machine never worked, and it was cheaper!

Rooms: WERE AWFUL!! we booked a fully self contained apartment.. except it had no toaster, or cooking facilities and a bar fridge.. im so glad we didnt bring children! the bathroom is massive and has room for a washing machine and dryer although if you want to do your washing you have to use the communal laundry and PAY for it.. not impressed! The room smelt and the hallways were worse.. the fire alarm went spastic multiple times and we kept getting told it was a false alarm..... 5-10 mins later.. no one new what was going on.. lack of organisation big time. Pillows were horrible, didnt sleep the first night, although when i mentioned it to the cleaner she quickly replaced them.. if the reception lady was as nice as the cleaners this would be a much better place.
the sheets were not changed while we were there, although the towels were daily.. however if you wanted beach towels replaced we were told you had to ask for them..?
Pool was nice, as was the spa... Gym was a treadmill and bike... there was no GYM! my partner and i are training for a body building competition and needed a gym.. we were told to go to fitness first in southport and pay $22.00 each per session... although the website advertised a gym...

location was ok i guess... but as my 6th time visiting the gold cost this place wasnt worth the money..

wouldnt ever come back here and dont recommended anyone else to... its not as good as it looks! I was very disappointed.. this place should be rated as 3 star accommodation at the most..

1  Thank Melaniedouglas
manager_sovereign, General Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, I am very dissapointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would urge you contact us directly so that we can further discuss your concerns.

I must point out that we do not advertise our rooms as "fully self contained" at all, nor do we advertise that we have a gym. We do have a fitness room which is free to use for our guests, but do not falsely advertise this as a fully equipped gym.

Once again I urge you to contact myself directly if you have concerns regarding staffing etc, so that I can address these issues.

Reviewed January 23, 2011

I found the staff very helpfull and friendly, the hotel is also very close to everything, my friend and i walked to everything quiet easily however we only live about 230 km away so we drove to the goldcoast to find there was not enough parking spaces to provide a spot for each room so it was first in best dressed, guest were even parking in any space available which made driving through the car park (beneth the hotel) very hard i would definately not recommend someone with a family size car or fourwheel drive to go in there, we then drove around side streets to find parking which was hard because there were alot of residencial apartments in the area, the walk to the hotel in the middle of the night wasn't the best.

The rooms were suitable for what we needed as it was a short stay and we would only be using the room to sleep and would not spend much time in the room, however we had a problem with cockroaches in our room not just one we kept finding them throughout our stay and the bathroom needed a good clean... the rooms were quiet and when you closed the doors and windows you could not hear the main road at all which which was good.

I enjoyed my time at the Goldcoast but i don't think i could stay here again, good for those who just want a bed and good customer service but not if you want a modern and clean room with designated parking.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank LX9
manager_sovereign, General Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our property, and it is great to hear that you experienced the excellent customer service we pride ourselves on. With regards to parking, we do advertise limited parking available and unfortunately, like many hotels this is the case, however there is also ample street parking in the area. We are investigating your concerns relating to cockroaches also, unfortunately these live in the wild on the Gold Coast and sometimes do just fly inside, however we have very regular pest treatments to ensure they are kept at bay. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you personally.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

Booked this accommodation for our first stay in the Gold Coast. Checked some of the reviews and had some reservations about staying because I like my rooms to be clean and adequate. Arrived and the reception staff were lovely, we got our key and went to the
room and were pleasantly surprised. The room was huge and seemed quite clean. Views were good too. Did not know if our room was going to be serviced as I believe there are some time share type rooms in the hotel which do not get serviced. When I enquired we had a serviced room which was cleaned daily, clean towels, beds made and fridge re-stocked. (winner !!)...
Our deal included breakfast every morning for the 4 of us, the kids loved it with fresh pancakes everyday. (i have to invest in one now ).. The variety at breakfast was excellent and the staff were always friendly and when you asked them to refresh anything it was done immediately.
Kids enjoyed the pool and loved having a night time dip. Swim, spa and sauna it was great.
The location is great we walked into town a couple of time and it only took us ten minutes, beach about 5 minutes away and there was no traffic noise on our side of the hotel.
Parking was free which was great we never had to fight for a car parking space even though the hotel was quite full.
Overall we would definately come back to the Australis and hopefully we can have the same room everytime we come !!!!!
Keep up the good work Australis I am sure that with all the competition in Surfers you have to make an impression on your guests !!!!
See you all again soon !!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
manager_sovereign, General Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and it is truly fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us - your feedback has been passed on to all staff involved and they are wrapped also. At Australis Sovereign Hotel we pride ourselves on providing great value for money and excellent customer service and it is great to hear that we have delivered on those aims.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay, and we will certainly look after you again next time!

Reviewed January 13, 2011

We stayed for 12 nights and had a great time. Firstly the place is really clean - everywhere! Being on NZ time I was up at 5am every morning and would have a coffee on the balcony the staff were always out there testing the pool, hosing down the area and cleaning. I would also use the internet in the foyer early mornings and the everything was always immaculate.

The apartment is spacious and the couple of things that weren't working were rectified quickly and by friendly and professional maintenance staff. Our apartment was serviced daily (not the norm in some places) and we got fresh towels and amenities restocked.

The restaurant has an al fresco area by the pool and couches to relax and have a coffee it was really nice. The general feel of the place is of laid back, mid range but high standards and definitely great value for money.

Reception staff appeared to be on 24 hours and there were always plenty of staff in the mornings to assist with any requirements.

The apartment was an older style and yes a little dated but we didn't go there to look at fresh paint! It was clean, adequate, the bathroom was huge and the living area spacious with a lovely balcony. I'd agree the kitchen facilities are basic with a microwave, bar fridge and no oven but we managed fine and if we didn't want an expensive dinner would have a salad or wonder up to Surfers for a kebab or other inexpensive option.

Thumbs up for us, our daughter had a great time, the pool was lovely and though it rained the whole time we had a great stay. The size of the apartment meant we could make ourselves at home and have my daughters toys, books etc around without tripping over them, which was good considering it rained most of the time!

Totally recommend this hotel for value and facilities.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kazatthebeach

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and it is great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us - despite the rain! We were certainly luckier than many in QLD, and our thoughts are with those impacted by the terrible flooding across much of the state.

It is fantastic to hear that we delivered on the aims of providing great value for money and excellence in customer service. We would love to welcome you back to Australis Sovereign Hotel next time you visit the Gold Coast, and I thank you again for taking the time to write a review of the hotel.

Reviewed January 10, 2011

This hotel isn't oustandingly bad, but nor is it very impressive. Firstly, the 'self-catering' promise turned out to be a bench and a fridge, and if you wanted to a hotplate they'd bring one to your room. But you had to sign a waiver that you will pay $900 if the smoke alarm was triggered. Needless to say, I was terrified every time I used it.

If you prefer the barbecue in the common area, there is one tiny hotplate that has to booked, for an hour at a time. So basically, only 2-3 groups could get in during dinner time.

The decor was tired (circa 1990's) and the couch smelled of cigarettes past. The rooms were big and airy and bright though. Location was ok - about 10 mins walk to the main shops.

Restaurant staff were useless - they looked and acted like they'd rather be anywhere else. They were also quite rude when there was a misunderstanding about my bill (which was their fault). The reception staff were much nicer however.

Overall, it's okay but I wouldn't rush back there.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
manager_sovereign, General Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback, it is through feedback such as yours that we are able to constantly improve our business. We are investigating your concerns, and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the outcome with you personally.

Reviewed January 10, 2011

As we all know that QLD has been in terrible floods over the past week or so and they are still continuing, actually it's due to hit Brisbane Today 11th January - but was I to know this a week ago when I booked a night away for my birthday? Clearly not.

I understand that I only booked accommodation for only one night with this hotel but I would expect them to understand that I would like to delay my stay as Brisbane is due to be hit with floods tonight and tomorrow, I have friends and family that need help and I have to make sure my own home is okay but would they let me reschedule the night away for my birthday........No!

I spent hours looking and debating over which hotel to stay in and I must say that after contacting the hotel and they said if Lastminute.com would refund they would, well I rang lastminute and they rang the hotel and then they refused to refund I must say I'm so soooo happy we chose this hotel. I rang the hotel back and spoke to the same girl who told me to ring last minute and she also spoke to them when they rang and what I got was that this hotel cares more about money than QLD lively hoods.

Whilst I appreciate that this hotel needs to make money, this is extreme circumstances!

Thanks for being a queensland hotel that supports QLD.

Confirmation number: 18524148G

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
manager_sovereign, General Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2011

Dear Guest,

At Australis Sovereign Hotel we are extremely sensitive to those impacted by the worst natural disaster Queensland has seen in over a century. We are certainly not charging cancellation fees for any guests who are impacted personally by this disaster, and we have many colleagues, family & friends who are doing it tough. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you personally.

If any readers would like to assist those in need, I would welcome you to join us in donating to the Queensland Premiers Flood Relief Appeal. You can donate online, by telephone on 1800 219 028 or at any major bank.

Our thoughts are with all those impacted by these floods.

Reviewed January 1, 2011

Stayed at the Sovereign Hotel during the Xmas/New Year holidays. Check-in was a breeze and the hotel looked clean and very comfortable from the outside and in the lobby.
However when we were headed towards our room we were hit by a horrible stench of stale food and what appeared to be the smell of vomit. We could even smell it in our room. The smell stayed in the hallway and our room for the duration of our stay despite leaving the windows open the whole night. The bedroom was small with 2 single bed. The sheets were stained and the floor of the bathroom was not swept during the duration of our stay.
On Xmas day itself there was a fire alarm. Initially we did not notice it as the alarm in our room was just a small beep beep. The evacuation was disorderly and no one knew where we were supposed to gather. There was only 1 staff directing traffic the whole time. After being in so many fire drills before I found that if there was an actual fire someone would have surely died. The night staff was undermanned and ill equipped to handle an emergency such as this.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Veteran78
manager_sovereign, General Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and I regret to hear that your stay with us was not entirely positve. I am investigating your concerns, and would welcome an opportunity to discuss the outcome with you personally.

With regards to the fire alarm you experienced, we do have all procedures in place to evacuate all staff and guests if required, however full evacuation was not required on that occassion as fortunately the alarm was quickly identified as false.