Well - I read some of the reviews on here before we went....and wouldn't you believe it, arrived, walked in the room only to see iron burns on the carpet! My heart sank. Other than that the room seemed OK - a bit on the small side for a 4 and a half star joint, and I had to ask reception for chairs for the balcony but, twas OK.
Woke up next morning to the delightful stench of cigarette smoke - yep, sign as you get off the lift says its a non-smoking floor. A word with reception and they claimed all evidence to the contrary it was a smoking floor and we should have specified non-smoking when we booked (when and where that was an option I don't know) I asked why they didn't have ashtrays in the rooms then if it was smoking and she laughed. They did offer to move us but the wife was settled and we had a good view etc - besides surely smokers should be relocated to a smoking floor? Or told to sod off. This might also explain the two false fire alarms we had over our stay.
Bottom line if they sort out the smokers, and get a realistic star rating it's an OK place. Four and a half stars suggests some standards they just don't seem to be interested in maintaining and facilities they don't have (waste bins in rooms, soap trays in showers, unburnt carpets, drawers for clothes etc) so expectations are higher and dashed leaving a much worse impression
In general there are plenty of other options in Surfers, why go here?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alpha Sovereign Hotel Gold Coast (formerly Australis Sovereign) is just the place to stay for a quiet retreat in Surfers Paradise, while still having easy access to beaches, shopping, dining and attractions. Situated on the Broadbeach side of Surfers Paradise, you can enjoy the best the area has to offer by day or night but swiftly escape the hustle and bustle when you arrive back at the hotel. Alpha Sovereign features mid-rise twin towers with a wide range of contemporary hotel rooms and suites - most with balconies overlooking the Gold Coast Hinterland, the hotel complex and pool, or Surfers Paradise skyline with ocean behind. Arrive to a bright and breezy lobby and reception area that flows through to Flavours Restaurant and bar. Flavours offers a relaxing alfresco terrace where guests can enjoy a delicious meal, catch up for a drink or kick back for some quiet reading time. The intimate lagoon pool and spa is surrounded by lush tropical gardens and shady pockets to relax in. Or soak up the sun on poolside lounges, just a few steps from Flavours bar to order a drink or snack. For the kids, the pool has a shallow sandy area, ideal for a splashing and water fun. Alpha Sovereign Hotel also has a games room with video games, board games and other indoor activities for children. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Alpha Sovereign Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Australis Sovereign Surfers Paradise
- Australis Sovereign Hotel
- Surfers Paradise Australis Sovereign
- Alpha Sovereign Hotel Gold Coast/Surfers Paradise