“Don't bother - find somewhere decent”

Alpha Sovereign Hotel
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Sydney
“Don't bother - find somewhere decent”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Well - I read some of the reviews on here before we went....and wouldn't you believe it, arrived, walked in the room only to see iron burns on the carpet! My heart sank. Other than that the room seemed OK - a bit on the small side for a 4 and a half star joint, and I had to ask reception for chairs for the balcony but, twas OK.

Woke up next morning to the delightful stench of cigarette smoke - yep, sign as you get off the lift says its a non-smoking floor. A word with reception and they claimed all evidence to the contrary it was a smoking floor and we should have specified non-smoking when we booked (when and where that was an option I don't know) I asked why they didn't have ashtrays in the rooms then if it was smoking and she laughed. They did offer to move us but the wife was settled and we had a good view etc - besides surely smokers should be relocated to a smoking floor? Or told to sod off. This might also explain the two false fire alarms we had over our stay.
Bottom line if they sort out the smokers, and get a realistic star rating it's an OK place. Four and a half stars suggests some standards they just don't seem to be interested in maintaining and facilities they don't have (waste bins in rooms, soap trays in showers, unburnt carpets, drawers for clothes etc) so expectations are higher and dashed leaving a much worse impression

In general there are plenty of other options in Surfers, why go here?

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sweatyorama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Zealand
Reviewed June 26, 2009

on arrival the pool heater was broken (they said it happened the day before) Still cold a week later when we left. Reception staff where helpful but the room servicing was terrible, and when I complained to the duty manager all he could say was "I don't know whats going on with them, they are getting worse". Not my problem, he should have fixed it, we had a 4 bed room and started with 4 towels and 2 flannels, the next day 3 and 1, then 2 and 0 the following day only 2 towels again and no toilet paper. room was not vacuumed once while we where there as evidenced by red fluff on the carpet when we arrived which hadn't moved when we left.
Great restaurant with excellent staff (pity that what the best thing about the place).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Dave067NewZealand

Travelers are raving about these Surfers Paradise hotels

Sydney
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I booked this hotel as a secret hotel deal on Wot if as 4.5 Star for $80 per night, 1 bedroom apartment.
I was expecting much more for 4.5 Star as I had no idea what we booked, however I would rate it true 3-3.5 Star as it is in need of a MAJOR REFURB! Very old furnishings.
We were upgraded to the highest floor apartment, level 7 facing east - this had nice ocean views.

I read the majority of these reviews on here before we left and was REALLY STRESSED I had wasted my money.
Although we were only going for a weekend, so I did not expect much once I read these reviews and did not stay in the room for much of the time.

On check in, this was the smoothest I have EVER encountered in all Australian hotels. Many hotels have double charged me on check-in blocking my card for multiple room nights.
Here it was just a $1.00 charge to my credit card to check it and that was it!
I was offered $15 per person breakfast vouchers, which we opted against - as we had a car and went to McDonald's in Surfers instead.

Sure, there were iron marks on the carpet and the fridge did really smell - so I would not recommend using this full time for perishables (it is fine to store alcohol/drinks).

Other than this, the staff in the hotel are really lovely, will do anything to accommodate your needs.
Our room was cleaned and soaps/sheets/towels replaced daily - there was even a fold out sofa in the apartment if we wanted to have guests stay too!

Plenty of street parking and underground car park (gets quite full at night - so get in early as no dedicated spots for guests).
Close enough to Surfers, 5 minute drive / 15 minute walk.

I would not pay more than $90 per night for this old school style apartment.
For the hotel, I would stay again if I was looking for a quick super budget stay - by NO MEANS A LUXURY holiday where you stay at the hotel!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovetotravel077
Brisbane
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Like another reviewer, we booked this as a 'Mystery Hotel' on Wotif.com $80 a night (if you see a Mystery "4.5 star" Hotel for $80 in Surfers Paradise, it WILL be the Sovereign). We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment on the ground floor. Yes, the decor was very old, as was the furniture and appliances. Yes, the carpet was old and had extensive patchwork and other damage. Yes, there was a 'stale' scent in our room but I think that was because the room was right next to the pool and restaurant and the doors were probably always closed to keep out the noise. We found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. The bedroom was very comfortable and spacious but was very tired in its presentation. The only annoyance I had was the amount of noise one could hear from the hallway. Given the clientele that $80 a night attracts, it did get somewhat loud in the evening. Fortunately the bedroom had sliding doors that did block out excess sound. But the one thing that I was most impressed with was how incredibly clean the room was. I couldn't find any fault in any area (and I did go looking...). Overall, it is very basic, but for $80 (cheaper than a motel after all), I couldn't complain. It's not for everyone, and it definitely isn't 4.5 star, but if you want to stay here, look for it on Wotif.com.

1 Thank Steele_Wiley
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My boyfriend and i decided to go away as a spur of the moment thing and got the wotif.com special wot deal for $80 for the night. Once we got it and read these reviews we were really not happy. We went anyway because we had paid but i was expecting some sort of dead body filled room.
Once we got there, the staff at the reception were really nice. Got up to our room (which was number 803 in the North Tower, for the record) and no, there were no dead bodies.

For $80 a night this was a good value, though I would not pay much more than $90.
Sure there are stains on the carpet and old tvs, best way to describe it is that its sort of like a beach villa styled in the 90's.
It does have cable which is always fun, it IS clean and it is really close to surfers. A good place for schoolies..

I can understand why people dont like it if they are expecting 4.5 star hotel, but it has that rating because it has a pool, spa, sauna, restaraunt (and if you do stay, definatly get the $15 buffet breakfast because its champion)

All in all, if you can get it at a cheap price and dont mind slightly outdated stuff then go for it, if youre a snob then go somewhere else and quit your whinging.

1 Thank meels_nodeal
mapleton
Reviewed May 20, 2009

Without a doubt this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Spa broken, pool murky, damp musty smell lingering in the hallways. Rooms are large but old, outdated, worn out carpet, light fixtures were broken, room facilities poor. We were very disappointed with our stay and will not stay again. Do yourselves a favour and give it a miss.

• Liked — Nothin
  • Disliked — All of it
  • Stayed May 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank EmmaB_9
sydney
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Booked this hotel for a 4 night stay under the premise of it being 4 1/2 star accomodation, wow what a joke. Cane furniture in 2009 is not 4 1/2 star. Old school tube tv's in 2009 are not 41/2 star nor are stained carpet filthy spa's freezing cold pools missing light fittings peeling paint holes in walls and dirty sheets. I am not a review writer normally so for me to be on here says something. I demanded a new room to which he obligded and upgraded us to a 1 bedroom apartment with a kitchen. Still not up to our standard so we booked a room at meriton apartments in broadbeach (which is a much nicer part of the coast than surfers) for 89 a night, absolutly beautiful 5 star self contained unit. Don't listen to the good reviews on this hotel they would be from staff trying to keep there hotel busy and therefore keep there jobs! DON'T STAY HERE DON'T STAY HERE DON'T STAY HERE DON'T STAY HERE DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Thank johnnycjay