“Very pleasantly surprised”

Alpha Sovereign Hotel
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“Very pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Having booked this accommodation for a family get together before reading some of the reveiws I was thinking what have i done, my brothers and sisters are going to kill me. But from the moment we arrived (and there were a few of us) we found the reception staff very helpful and friendly. On going to our rooms we found them to be dated but comfortable and clean, over our stay the housekeeping girls were always happy to come back if we werent quite ready for them to service our rooms. The food in the restaurant was excellent. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Moreton14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Our 6 night stay at this hotel has been a pleasant experience due to the professional of the staff in particular the front desk the evening dining and bar staff as well as the staff that cleaned our room, The breakfast buffet was wonderfull, would like to thank them making our stay wonderful

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CandyrBrisbane
Reviewed May 10, 2009

I actually booked this hotel before reading all the reviews on here. Was thinking I might have made a mistake, but thought id give it a go anyway as we were only there for one night. Overall it really wasnt as bad as some people have made it out to be! Sure, its an older hotel and bit run down, but the rooms were clean. For under $100 a night it served its purpose! And the $15 buffett breakfast is a winner!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sdaniell
Reviewed April 24, 2009

We booked via the web for a cheap rate , so we weren't expecting a 5* hotel, when we got there we were checked in by a very helpful girl, I noticed as we check in that the hotel was 12 years old, Once we got into the room we were both surprised by how clean and tidy the room was. We had dinner in the restaurant and found the menu prices were very reasonable and the meals themselves were excellent. Overall we had a great stay and didn't have any problems at all, we were very worried by the previous reviews but but for value for money this place was perfect.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dirtydogb
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I sayed for 2 nights over Easter with my partner and our 2-year old. I agree with the previous reviews: no air-conditioning in the hallways, it felt hot and humid and the rugs needed a proper clean. The 1-bedroom apartment was shocking. I was under the impression we were booking a nice modern apartment as per the photos on their website, but somehow ended up in a dump. I requested a non-smoking room and we got a room, that smelled of cigarettes, with dirty curtains, sofa and rugs. It felt like being in a 15-year old hotel room! The rugs had several iron burnmarks, the fridge was tiny, a microscopic freezer, not good for a family who wants to self cater!!! The walls were thin and we could hear other people talk next door. The bedspreads and entire decor looked outdated, and I do not mind outdated as long as it is clean! The TV was tiny and crap, it's about time to upgrade to a flat screen. Don't be fooled by the facilities - by kitchen they mean a corner with cupboards and limited appliances.

The only positive thing i can comment on is the pool and spa which was well maintained, didn't try their restaurant, as we spent as much time outside of the hotel as we could!

I wouldn't spend my holiday there even if it was free and I'm extremely disappointed!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Agent_for_travel

Travelers are raving about these Surfers Paradise hotels

Sydney
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Not a very warm approach when checking in. I had to show a fair amount of ID to prove who I was. The girl made my husband and I feel like imposter's. I stayed on the second floor and unfortunately there seemed to be a cockroach problem. We killed at least 7 of those small German one's in the first 2 days. When I relayed the problem to the lady at the service desk she had told me they had the place sprayed the week before. They looked pretty healthy to me and it didn't seem like they were dying away.
We stayed for 6 days and there was no housekeeping done to the room in that time. Actually, there was, I noticed that someone had entered on the 3rd day when I complained about the cockies and apparently folded the toilet paper. Nothing else, just the toilet paper.
There was absolutely no ventilation in the hallways walking from the elevator to the room and I just had to hold my breath because of the stench of very stale air.
At 6am on Sunday morning the fire alarm went off. Most of us evacuated only to figure out for ourselves that there was a false alarm. No one came out to apologise or anything of the sort.
It happened again in the afternoon 2 days later. No apologies again. We all just stood there like lost people why this happened the second time over. How scary to think that if something did seriously happen no one would believe the boy who cried wolf.
Another holidayer mentioned to me that it happened 3 times the week before as well.
There is car parking underground although the ground looks like it has never, ever been hosed over. I felt dirty having to walk through it.
On a good note if you can live with the major discrepancies the pool was nice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank jackiedd
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I wish I had of read the reviews before booking this hotel on wotif.com! We also had iron burn marks in our carpet as well as cigarette burn marks The balcony chairs were broken. The mini bar fridge wasn't cold enough and our food melted. The reception staff were rude and after checking out they phoned to tell me that they needed my credit card number as they stuffed up and didnt take the imprint of my credit card properly on check in. They did not applogise and they made it out to be my fault as I didn't line up in the massive queue to check out, I just left my keys on the counter (as you could do in any hotel, as I thought they had my card imprint) The room was old and the furniture was dated. I'm baffled as to how they get their 4 1/2 star rating!... The worst hotel I have ever stayed in and the rudest staff!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple