“simply awesome”

Alpha Sovereign Hotel
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed January 22, 2009

After a nightmare beginning to our little getaway we went looking for alternative accommodation. (Dont stay at the Breakfree Aloha) We walked into the reception at Australis and asked if they had any rooms available. The guy showed us a ground floor unit and compared to what we had just experienced it was perfect. The room was large and spacious, it had AIRCONDITIONING. We had a little courtyard which was quite large as well, perfect place for a cigarette.

We included breakfast in our 3 night stay and found it quite lovely, there was plenty of choices, and the food was nice, although I hate filtered coffee at the best of times, this one wasnt too bad tho.

The staff were very pleasant and friendly, and very accommodating to our requests. We had dinner from the restaurant a couple of times, and it was great food with great service again.

Its interesting to read the reviews of this place, some finding it as great as we did, and some who absolutely hated it. I would highly recommend the place to anyone. The one point that wasnt that great was the location, a good 10-15 minute walk to the shopping centre and beach, but its a lovely walk anyway.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ez1971
There are newer reviews for Alpha Sovereign Hotel

Reviewed January 8, 2009

We wanted to get away for the weekend, wanted a big room with a good view, balcony and a spa bath. Well this the sovereign has, we were on the 9th floor (being the heighest) we had a great view of the city and hinterland... Although everytime we walked into the room i felt like throwing up, cause the smell was absolutley horrible! The bed was uncomfortable, the tv didn't work, half the jets in the spa didn't work, the furniture was horribly outdated and the smell! On our second night there we were getting ready to go to bed and i spotted a giant cockaroache! I called reception immediatley and the guy was extremely helpful coming up to the room and chasing it around until he exterminated it. The breakfast buffet was okay... although it was very busy and we had to wait for a seat. Although the coffee was horrible! We also got dinner vouchers so we headed down to the restaurant, the menu was quite limited, and i requested 2 wines before i picked one they actually had. Overall it was okay.. it was well priced and u get some bonuses like the buffet and dinner vouchers, but there are better well priced apartments on the gold coast. I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic getaway at all.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank crazy_bella_
Reviewed November 12, 2008

We booked online last minute and got a great rate. We spoke with the owners (a husband and wife team) who just bought the place. We did notice that during the day they were doing some improvements but never after 5 pm. I thought for the rate we payed the hotel was great. I would stay here again. It is not a 4.5 star-maybe 3.5, but I loved having a kitchenette in the room and it worked out well.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Chumbear
Reviewed October 28, 2008

I recently had the misfortune of staying at the Australis Sovereign Hotel for business purposes. Had I been paying for this accommodation myself, I would've demanded a refund or moved to a different hotel.

At check-in I was greeted by the most miserable looking female who looked as though she'd just been told the world was about to end. She wasn't at all happy about handing over breakfast vouchers at 10am so I could take advantage of a bite to eat before going to work. Luckily her colleague was much more accommodating and gladly handed over the vouchers with a smile.

I stayed in a room on the third floor facing the street. It was a small twin-share room with the most uncomfortable, springy, old beds I think I've ever slept in. Rivalled only by the IBIS in Darling Harbour, Sydney.

The airconditioning unit to my colleagues room wasn't working so a maintenance man took my remote and for the remainder of my stay I was without a remote, even after asking at the front desk. Although noisy due to a broken piece of plastic whirring around inside the unit, it did block out the street noise over the Indy weekend - annoying, but better than the doof doof from across the road.

The room and the entry passage leading to the room smelt like smoke despite being on a "non-smoking" floor. On one morning of my 4 day stay, the bathroom stank of stale smoke.

The bathroom was very shabby - the shower screen too big for the shower itself and didn't close properly, leading to flooding outside the shower. Frustratingly, there was no soap holder in the shower, so had to put soap on the floor, when I discovered someone's used up band-aid - DISGUSTING!

The bathroom was not cleaned daily - could tell by talc left on floor and the dodgy band-aid in the shower cubicle.

The noise from the plumbing after every flush of the toilet was absolutely hideous. Given I was up and about around 6am every day, I'm sure the adjoining rooms were pretty upset about this also!

Breakfast was the Sovereign's only saving grace. A good selection of food available at the buffet.

If holidaying at Surfers, particularly for a special occasion like a wedding, avoid this hotel. A couple of reviews mention it being a 4.5 star hotel. It's not even close. 3 star would be closer to the truth.

Would not recommend the Sovereign.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank HappyWanderer72
Reviewed October 24, 2008

My partner and I decided to go to the Gold Coast for my 21st birthday in October. We searched the website wotif.com and found that this hotel best suited what we were looking for... Reasonable prices, the location was ok, and most of all, it was a 4.5 stars!

We probably ended up staying in the same room as squirt70! There was an iron burn on the carpet, the room smelt like the doors hadn't been opened in a long time, the shower had stains on the walls...

My gold earrings were stolen. Although it was my mistake for leaving in on the bathroom bench, the housekeeping manager was so convinced her staff did not take them. There are signs in the room saying that there are professional thieves around.... Who else would have access to the room except staff with keys!

Don't get me started about the buffet breakfast! For the amount they charge, it isn't worth it!

We had an issue with the restaurant and their service, in the end we ended up speaking directly to the general manager!

Upon checkout, they gave us the invoice with totally different room rates we originally selected. If I didn't have a copy of the print out on me, I would have had to pay hundreds extra!

Overall, the Gold Coast is a fantastic place, however I would never go back to this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TravellingSquishy
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Got to the hotel early morning, stored our bags, then went upon exploring Surfer's. Lost my wallet, in shopping centre then figured out it was gone 3 hours later. The hotel manager did everything in her power to assist in finding it, phoning around the places i had been. Wallet was found and handed in to a cafe I had eaten at.
I had my 5 year old son with me for 3 nights 4 days accom. he loved the pool, the fact that we were so close to the carnival rides and putt putt golf, and how close the beach was.
I booked the room then read the reviews and I was really worried about the room. But i was pleasantly suprised when i got into the room to find i neat and tidy and having all the neccesities required for my stay. The room was clean the beds comfortable and the bathrooms were equipped with soaps shampoo's and lotions. the towels were softer than ones i have used at Novotels in the past!! Over all if you are looking for a down to earth place to stay go no further. Great value for money!! thank you we enjoyed our time with you..

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank SydneyMal
Reviewed August 27, 2008

My husband & I stayed here for 1 night, booked through Wotif. I chose it specifically because it was advertised as 4.5 star. We were very disappointed.

The room smelt. It was incredibly small. There were burns on the carpet from where someone had previously dropped an iron. There were many dirty marks on the wall - one being a hand-print. There was no mini-bar.

I think it's more a 3.5, or at a stretch 4 star. I was annoyed purely because I was looking specifically for minimum 4.5 star. They use the word luxury to describe it - I don't think so!

The rooms must vary considerably though, as the reviews I've read go from one extreme to the other.

My advice - if you're looking for something fresh, clean & modern, give this one a miss.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple