“Could they get any ruder”

Breakfree Peninsula
Reviewed September 9, 2013

we stayed at this apartment for 3days from the 24/08/13. as soon as we arrived we were told that our room was not ready, this was after we were asked what time we would like to check in. once we got to our room our first impressions were "nice". we then noticed a locked door and at first thought it was a storage room. on later investigations we were told that it was the master room with ensuite and because we requested a 1bdrm they have to lock this room. so no ensuite!.
my wife then went to use hair dryer.. couldnt find it. phoned reception and asked if the rooms had one. we were told "if there isnt one there then no". Proceeded to go down to reception and show them the booking form stating that rooms have dryers. Comment was " oh it must be locked in the ensuite, here have this one that is in our drawer".
Apartment is outdated with door handles loose. You can barely see out of the windows through the dirt.
I have stayed at other breakfree resorts and never had this problem. Never had the ensuite bathroom locked before.
First time stayed here...last time staying here!!!

Room Tip: spend a little more time looking around. bring hairdryer.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank garyth h
Andrew P, General Manager at Breakfree Peninsula, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for your feedback Garyth. Check in time is 2 pm. We do not guarantee your room to be ready before this time. Our 1 Bedroom apartments are 2 Bedroom apartments with the en-suite and the second bedroom locked off . We are not the only resort apartments that do this. We lock off the en-suite because the washing machine and dryer is in the main bathroom. Accommodation providers do this is to keep costs low so we can put those cheap room rates out in the market. It is unfortunate that our apartments were not what you wanted.

There are newer reviews for Breakfree Peninsula

Reviewed September 3, 2013

unfortunately road works with a no right turn made it difficult to get to the hotel and its car park but once we arrived there was space outside to park the car and inside the receptionist was both welcoming and professional.Our room was on the 8th floor and looked over the ocean. What a wonderful vista to have an ealy morning coffee with.The days we stayed were sunny and i am sure this makes a difference. The appartment was large enoegh for the four of us and two bathrooms are always very welcome. It was clean and had most utensils we required to make breakfast and hot drinks.Unfortunately the heat pump in our room did not work so for air conditioning the windows were opened which allowed us to sleep well in the comfortable double bed. yes i would like to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feed back. We are eagerly awaiting completion of the tram system that has affected the whole of surfers paradise. We would love to see you again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Recently, I went up to Surfer's Paradise to visit our son who is studying at Griffith University in Southport. My husband and I booked a one-bedroom self-contained unit in at the BreakFree Peninsula. Unfortunately, my husband got a respiratory infection and could not go on the trip. Perhaps it was for the best. The weather was cold in the evenings when I arrived the last day of July 2013. There was a small electric heater that I discovered my last day there. He would have been very cold. The shower is situated in a bathtub. To get to it, a person has to climb over the side. There are no hand rails. The microwave in the kitchen had a worrying chip in it. We requested a view and there certainly was one. However, the unit was on the 39th floor and I know that my husband would have been intimidated by the height and not gone on the balcony. All was not bad. The beach was one short block away. I was on it first thing every morning. The hotel was a 10 minute walk from the centre of Surfer's where there was a fully stocked Woolworth's. The hotel's swimming pool and spa were gloriously warm and clean. I noticed a well-equipped gym, but didn't have the time to use them. There were barbecues outside with a table and chairs clustered near each. If I'd been there with other people, it would have been a nice entertaining area to use.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water are in the shade.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. It was unfortunate you had trouble with the bath tub. We could have put you into another unit with a separate shower. We hope to see you again soon. To not be disappointed, please call before hand to ensure we have your requests.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Arrived a few hours before check-in and the delightful Margaret on reception not only allowed us access but upgraded us to an ocean view. She escorted us to our 2 bedroom unit & first impressions were "wow". Views to die for, spacious and well appointed. Unfortunately first impressions can be deceptive .

The apartment we stayed in had the potential to be 5 star except for the cleanliness and basic maintenance. First night we spilled red wine on the kitchen tiles so used (our own) paper towels to clean it up. The floor was just disgusting. Then the bathroom - looking into the shower over the bath it looked clean BUT once inside, the black mould and gunge when you closed the door was just nasty. We had to move lugs in cupboards to ensure we had shelves that weren't lopsided and even rehung part of the curtain in the lounge which was falling down. As for the worn pair of knickers & socks in one of the drawers - just how long had they been there?

Then there's the security chain on the front door - how unfortunate there's nothing to secure it to! So you snib the door and hope for the best. And of course the jug - obviously had been leaking for some time given the discolouration on the base and wetness on the bench. Surely housekeeping should have noticed this and replaced it?. (Wasn't a problem at all to get replaced). Having organised an additional hour for checkout, we got a (very polite) call at 10.20am to ask if we'd organised one - surely they are operating on a computerised system where this can be recorded? It negates the goodwill generated by the additional hour.

Lighting in the bathroom was poor - so poor during the day you couldn't tell if it was on or not. Luckily there's a huge mirror in the dining area where one could do their makeup. Bedside lamp in the second room had a faulty switch and kept flickering - which of course you didn't recall until bedtime when it was too late to do anything about it. There was more - but all so avoidable and inexpensive to fix.

In all fairness, every single member of staff we came into contact with was lovely - which, coupled with the central location is the reason I don't score this as poor. Better inspections need to bee made of units to ensure housekeeping are doing their job properly and basic maintenance is undertaken. Am presuming units were being upgraded by the noise (always during daytime hours and didn't start too early, so not an issue at all) so worth another shot.

Hint - if you're on a budget, don't hesitate to use the bus from the airport. Get off at Markham Ave stop, walk about 250m to Clifford St on your right - you can't miss it. $8.50 per adult.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback. We are improving our processes within housekeeping and maintenance and will continue to do so. We are working hard with the owners of each unit to improve the standard. I am happy to inform you that we are getting more owners to do full refurbishments so if you come back next year, make sure to book a deluxe apartment.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Absolutely amazing resort with all the facilities we could ever have wanted. Had a bedroom apartment with a lovely view, we spent virtually the whole stay sitting on the balcony enjoying the scenery. The views can simply not be beaten. Main pool wonderfully deep and the resort is situated close to bus routes and central Surfers. Room was very nice with everything that you'd need while on holiday but it was really the views that made the trip. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here. Good location 2 mins from beach few mins from centre of surfers paradise. Close to restaurants, bars and supermarkets. We stayed in spacious 2 and 2 bath. Amazing view of ocean.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank anotherjason

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed here last year around May 2012. The views were breathtaking, and the area is very convenient - close to lots of shopping. I felt like I was at home.

I took a nearby bus and train all the way to Brisbane even - that is how convenient Breakfree's area is. My only negative (that had nothing to do with my stay) was that the airline lost my luggage. Coming from New York, losing clothes is a very big inconvenience, but the staff at the front desk was very helpful with helping me get around to find stores where I can find a few replacement items. In fact, I felt like I was annoying to the three people there by constantly asking if they've heard if my luggage came in, but they didn't give me any grief at all, until one day it appeared at the front desk and they called me to let me know. I was so happy then...

One more thing - don't make any phone calls to other territories - I made a 1/2 hour call to Melbourne that cost me about $100.

Other than the above, I really loved the place and hope to visit again and very soon! Thanks to the man and the two women at the front desk for your professional service :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Andrew P, General Manager at Breakfree Peninsula, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.