“Outdated and not worthy of 5 star...”

Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Noosaville, Australia
“Outdated and not worthy of 5 star...”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Needs a complete renovation. We got this off wotif, it was marked as Surfers paradise, when we figured where it was located we were dissapointed that it was not really close to the main part of surfers. I rang to ask if we could have our money back, the woman on the phone was so incredibly rude (I have no idea why she was raising her voice as I was being polite). We got to the hotel the next week and thought how could this place be a 5 star? It is not equivalent to any other 5 star I have stayed in. It would be ok if it was $80 a night and ranked as 4 star. Luckily we checked in at 10pm and left at 9am. Breaky was good- had a juicer which was awesome but other than that wont be staying again!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzi L
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Hello Suzi L,

I'm sorry to hear that your recent stay with us wasn't what you were after, however, on the Wotif Mystery deals, they do recommend that if you want a particular location or area that it may not be best to choose the Mystery Wotif deal. The hotel is located in Surfers Paradise, however we are located on the outskirts, which to many of our clientele is a convenient and favourable location halfway between Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach. But I am sorry to hear that it wasn't what you had hoped for.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast, it is something that is noted amongst many of our guests and in particular, the juicer for those fresh juices in the morning.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback and review after your recent stay with us.

Marketing Executive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I booked this hotel via Lastminute under the secret hotel so I didn't know what I was going to get until I paid. This place was perfect for me. Huge room with King size bed, large bathroom with spa and a separate toilet. This room also had a 2 sweater couch and balcony with table and a couple of chairs. This hotel has heaps of parking and an option of two pool areas.

The one downside is the cost of Internet. For 24 hrs they want $19 or $9 for 2 hours.

I would be more than happy to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hi NfaTraveler,

Thank you for leaving us with your review after staying with us, so happy to hear you enjoyed our large king bed and larger rooms.

I am happy to let you know that for all IHG Rewards Club members internet will be complimentary in our hotels from January 2014. It is currently already complimentary for our elite members.

Thank you for leaving us with your feedback.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here in the Gold Tower in a one bedroom, ocean view spa apartment. The room was huge compared to most other hotels I have stayed in, bedroom was comfortable and quite luxurious, it had everything you could need and the king bed was very comfortable. Having a smaller balcony looking over surfers off the bedroom was nice, and the bathroom was clean and very nice with a window above the spa bath with a view of surfers which was lovely at night having a spa and looking at all the lights!

The kitchen was great, looked like it had been re done recently, modern & clean and appliances were all good quality and working well. The lounge was big, with a dining table and tv and couch, plenty of room and huge windows with a great view, and another larger balcony that we could see all of surfers off and also the beach and parts of Broadbeach. The furniture in the lounge was slightly outdated, but overall still clean and comfortable.

The hotel is in a great location between surfers and Broadbeach, with no other big hotels blocking the views and not far from the beach. All the staff were very friendly and polite checking in and out. Walking to the carpark we had a staff member (I assume he was a maintenance guy or something along those lines) walk past us, he was very friendly and smiled at us saying hello and asked how we were which was nice, hard to find cheerful, happy staff like that when you go places so that stood out for me.

Pool looked great! Huge and really nice, unfortunately we had clouds and rain when we stayed so was gutted I didn't have the chance to go in it!

Overall good value for money, would be happy staying here again :)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Laura G
Hello lauraginders,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with such an extensive review after your stay with us - thank you.

So very pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us recently and that you were a big fan of our kitchen in the room in the Gold Tower and our larger than normal rooms.
Glad to hear that you had such a pleasant experience with our staff - we do pride ourselves on our staff and service.

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay to the Gold Coast.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked this on lastminute.com.au as a secret deal as it was good value for a one night quick break on the Gold Coast. The room was very nice, a little dated but spacious and cosy. I very much enjoyed the spa bath and the king bed was comfortable. I very much appreciated coffee mugs as I never like the tiny cups that hotels supply in the room. The staff were friendly and welcoming. My only grumble was that I couldn't keep my balcony door open as the guests in a nearby room were smoking on their balcony and my room quickly smelt like an old ashtray...yuk! If I had been there for more than one night it would have impacted on my enjoyment of the room itself.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Louise M
Hello Louise M,

I'm sorry to hear about your neighbouring guest cigarette smoke bothering you, that would be most frustrating, please accept my apologies for having been inconvenienced by this.

However, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were a fan of the larger coffee mugs and our staff.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with a review after your stay with us.

Paradise Point, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Beautiful room, magic views and indulgent king bed - could easily sleep the day away. Dinner buffet ( part of package) was in the amazing revolving restaurant. Food quality left a lot to be desired. Competitive specials on offer with other chains.

Room Tip: King room with ocean and mountain views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello missy2035,

Thank you so much for leaving us with your review after your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you loved relaxing in one of our great king beds and thought the revolving restaurant was amazing. I am sorry, however, to hear that the food quality wasn't up to your standard. I will follow this up with our F&B department on your behalf.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The room was comfortable - typical of Crowne Plaza - with a pillow "menu", balcony, and nice views of the beach. Amenities were good quality in general. Pool looked very inviting.

But the FOOD in the ground floor restaurant! Admittedly, I ordered a slightly strange meal, wanting to have food that was fairly plain. So, grilled salmon steak, ratatouille and fries. Well. The "ratatouille" looked like half a jar of chunky Dolmio sauce that had had some eggplant stewed into it for a week or so. The salmon steak - hard to screw that up, really - was dry and not exactly generous in size. And the beer-battered fries (again, should be hard to screw those up) were barely warm and *limp*. I picked up one by the end with my fork, and it folded in half. The sauces on the side, again, seemed straight out of a jar. And all for the best part of $40. OK, hotel restaurants tend to be overpriced, but you get better-prepared food at a Sizzler.

The service was great and attentive, although having the bussing area in the middle of the main dining space and by the till seemed odd. Since I was tired, it was the last night of my stay, and I felt sorry for the wait staff, I didn't send the food back, although I would have done so ordinarily.

Next time, if I'm too tired to venture out for food, I'll brave the revolving buffet restaurant on the top floor. At least the Asian-style offerings there should be on the more-edible side.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Hello Trix M,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have an enjoyable meal on your recent stay with us in the hotel, please accept my apologies for this. If you had mentioned this to us on the day we would have done everything we could to amend this and to have you leave the restaurant satisfied and not the other way around. If you choose to stay with us again and anything is not up to your standard, please let the staff know and we will rectify for you.

I am glad to hear that were a fan of the room and pillow menu as well as our staff. We certainly do have some amazing views and our two pools are at a great temperature currently with the great weather we've been having.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

Queensland
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Struck very lucky using the 'wotif' mystery stay by getting a night at the Crowne Plaza. What really made it special was the staff, who were really helpful- allowing us an early check in, gave us great advice for a local place to eat (lolas- also excellent), providing phone chargers, and happy to let us stay by the pool after checkout.
Our room on the 5th floor had ocean views, was very clean and the beds were super comfortable. It isn't the largest hotel room but was perfectly fine. Large choice of in house movies.
The pool area is beautiful, lovely tropical landscaped gardens, and crystal clear water- not heated so a tad cool, but it is still only September.
Didn't use the eateries- the 26th floor revolving restaurant was very busy when we popped up to have a look.
Would be very happy to stay again, have used the Mystery night option through 'Wotif' several times, and Crowne Plaza is the best by far.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello GayleJP,

So happy to hear that you were a fan of your Wotif mystery deal hotel. Thank you for your kind complimentary words of our staff - we certainly do try make every guests stay a memorable one.

Thank you for taking the time to review us, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
#13 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 21 in Broadbeach

Been to Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!