“Comfortable stay, everything we needed”

Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Return visitor. Got a room with 2 double beds which accomodated myself, husband a 5 year old daughter nicely. Rooms are spacious, clean, relatively modern, good bathroom with nice triangle/corner bath tub. Room was services daily to an excellent standard. Gym well equipped, with slightly dated equipment but still good to use. Smooth check in process with friendly staff. Concierge happy to help in any way he could. Will return!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Shang80
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Hello Shang80,

Thank you very much for your review of the hotel, we're happy to have welcomed you back.
I will pass on your kind comments to Front Office and Concierge. So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
We thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise to stay at again on your recent visit to the Gold Coast, and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise

Reviewed April 12, 2013

At checkin I ask ... so what are the benefits for Platinum members? And the FD Supervisor very proudly goes like this:

- Separate line to checkin (Wow..)
- You will receive a paper (I guess he meant a newspaper, or will I receive a blank A4 paper to scribble on it?)
- AND the grand Finale: I get a late check out and guess what from 11am to lunch time. Yes, they gave an extended check out time of 1 hour. Isn't this amazing?
- I must admit the upgrade received to a King Ocean View room is very nice (modern bed/TV old wall furniture)
- And last but not least, when he saw that I looked a bit ( face with lots of ???), he added:
"Oh you know other CP Hotels, give a fruit platter or two bottles of water or..." but "We got rid of all these amenities"

Other Info:
- Internet in room is charged (there are some changes upcoming in the loyalty program)
- Lobby Internet is 30min per day for free

Ps. I still have not found out what the benefit is of staying

Room Tip: King Ocean View rooms, 2 per floor next to each other (room xx06 and xx07)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ExploreBeyond
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear ExploreBeyond,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us in April and for your subsequent review.
To clarify the key benefits of being a Priority Club Rewards Platinum member these are as follows:-
Points never expire
No Blackout Dates for Reward Nights
Complimentary Weekday Newspaper
Complimentary Room Upgrades
Guaranteed Room Availability

You will be pleased to learn that complimentary internet will be available to Platinum Elite members - on a global basis, with effect from 1 July 2013, when the programme changes its identity to become IHG Rewards.

In the meantime, please accept my most sincere apologies for the poor check in experience which you had. I can assure you I have followed up accordingly with my Front Office team.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your ongoing patronage of InterContinental Hotels group.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel has had a cheap renovation, new carpets and paint but the fixtures and fittings are from the eighties. Reception were great and very helpful but the road noise is awful from the gold coast highway next to my room, it has woken me several times during the night and I finally stayed awake from five am. The windows should be upgraded to eliminate noise. I'm very disappointed in the crowne plaza. I stayed in the Hilton surfers paradise the night before but as it was full I chose the crowne plaza, the difference is vast, and I will be staying loyal to Hilton. I also had dinner in the pub attached to the hotel which was like having dinner in a working mans club.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank maggiemadbeach
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear maggiemadbeach,
I was sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay with us recently and that you encountered traffic noise which disturbed your sleep. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience this caused you.
With regard to "the pub attached to the hotel" - I suppose that is an appropriate description as it is named First Avenue Tavern and this specifically caters for both local patronage or indeed hotel guests who wish to spend time there.
The hotel does also offer three other dining alternatives, namely Relish Restaurant on the ground floor, Four Winds 360 Revolving Restaurant on the 26th floor and of course In Room Dining 24 hours per day. I am very sorry you did not have the opportunity to dine within the hotel itself.
Once again, thank you for your review and I am genuinely sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

After dining at the hotel's revolving restaurant "four winds" for our anniversary, decided to stay the night. A great decision. Paid $229 for an 18th floor cnr apartment (room 1815) in the gold tower, with crazy ocean and city views from every window with a 1pm exit. Quiet, enormous king bed, marble bathroom, kitchenette and lounge. We were given complimentary breakfast which had a great selection of beautifully prepared cooked eggs in every way possible, fresh fruit & cereals like Bircher muesli, pastries n more than I can describe. Breakfast service was great.
Little things. Only reason this hotel didn't get the full 5 star.... Pre-dinner drinks at bar were dissappointing. Expensive and bar seating hard and uncomfortable. Nips are prepared out of glass nip measures. They sat in dirty water troughs. When waiter decantered the nip, it left the scotch milky. My hubby refused to accept it. The bar tender then apologised n cleaned before another nip was dispensed. Room missed many small details for a 5 star. No robes, lack of toiletries, limited mini bar, and really uncomfortable lounge for such a great apartment. But we had a fabulous night.
Well worth the money.

Room Tip: Try corner suite. Worth the extra $$
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank incink
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Grand piano in the foyer/bar/restaurant area lovely in the evenings. Bar/Pokey attached reasonable good food and fun. Panoramic views of the Gold Coast from a clean and comfortable spacious and lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors see entire gold coast Breakfast buffet too expensive and not appealing
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joan W
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Hi Joan W,

So glad to hear you enjoyed our pianist and ambiance in the foyer/bar/restaurant area and our fantastic views of the Gold Coast. Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was the first time that I had stayed at this Crowne Plaza and it will not be the last. Having stayed at various other hotels in the region this one stands out.
From check in until departure the service was great, all staff were very friendly, the room was very quiet and clean, I really could not fault a thing.
The food in Relish was outstanding with nothing to much trouble. I will be staying again not just on business but will make it a must for a holiday trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim343

Hello Jim343,
We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us with such wonderful comments. So very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, so much so that you'll be coming back as a holidaymaker next time!
We added a great set menu option as well to Relish now for you to try out when you're next back with us.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Booked it thru lastminute. Com
As I always do , and have in the past been treated like a king,
On arrival mentioned I had the booking and asked if there was any chance of an upgrade ( being midweek, no current events on the coast and off season low occupancy in all hotels atm ) since I was celebrating my birthday and was a special one as I had my 80 yr old mother here from Greece to join me , possibly for the last trip to Australia for her.
Was told by Abbey in checkin there would be no upgrade unless I paid EXTRA .
I mentioned I had stayed many times and always enjoyed my stay there and had usually been upgraded complimentary and also being a priority club member .
She insisted there would be no upgrade unless I paid .
I felt humiliated, embarrassed and very disappointed.
Whatever happened to the excellent customer service and satisfaction crown had offered in the past ??
A bit sad to see Abbey put the dollar value more priority than pleasing their repeated clientele .
Keeping in mind there are So Many hotels on the coast and all offering fantastic deals to make ur stay unforgettable .
I can't fault the hotel but maybe the staff should be more focused on looking after the customers need first
Sad to say don't think I would return in a hurry
Thanks Abbey for a birthday to remember !

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Yianni65

Dear Yianni65,
Many thanks for choosing to stay with us recently and for subsequently posting your review.
I am very sorry you were unable to receive an upgrade when you checked in, or rather you chose not to pay the nominal upgrade fee which was offered to you.
Priority Club Rewards Platinum Elite members do receive a complimentary upgrade upon arrival but unfortunately your membership status did not entitle you to an automatic upgrade.
As I am sure you can imagine, we do receive numerous daily requests for upgrades and it is simply impossible to satisfy all these requests. Upgrade fees are minimal and are only offered if in fact we have the room types available. We allocate rooms on a daily basis, based upon what our customers have reserved and paid for - much like the way the airlines operate.
I am very sorry that this incident soured your birthday celebrations but would be very happy to assist you personally, next time you intend to visit the Gold Coast. Please do not hesitate to email me directly.
In the meantime I do hope you continue to enjoy the numerous benefits available to you with your Priority Club Rewards membership.
david.brown@ihg.com

#10 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 16 in Broadbeach

Been to Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!