“Clean, relaxing and very enjoyable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise

Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Australia
“Clean, relaxing and very enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Arrived 3 hours early and the rooms was not ready (not that we expected it to be), however the reception staff, Jenae & Danielle, were fantastic. They made us feel very welcome, allowed us to use the facilities whilst we waited and then called us when the room was ready.
The service was outstanding, with the staff being very attentive. Breakfast was included and the choice was great, even for the more discerning eaters. Chefs would cook eggs to order and were most helpful. The wait staff in the dining room were great (Royce and Azizi), explaining how everything worked.
Rooms were always clean and plenty of towels provided. The hotel is located between Cavill Ave and Broadbeach, so if you don’t might a 15 min stroll it’s in a great location. We certainly couldn’t complain.
Although we won’t be travelling again until mid-2014, this will be the first place we look at staying.
Check out the deals they offer, for the 8 nights we stayed I considered it to be great value.

Room Tip: Obviously the higher the room the better the view. We were on the 8th floor and the view was fine. W...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Daniel M,
Thank you so much for your sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community at large and I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I will certainly pass on your comments directly to Jenae, Danielle, Royce and Azizi as they are great ambassadors for Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we looking forward to being of service to you once again when you return in mid 2014.
david.brown@ihg.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Says short walk to surfers or broadbeach but in reality the hotel is a short taxi ride to both locations. Beds were past use by as were room furnishings . Pool area is very small and tends to be shaded.
Being a Crowne Plaza we imagined 4 or 4.5 star but in reality a mere 3 star and of lesser quality than the 'old' holiday inn at surfers. Staff were friendly and nice.
It was a chore getting any custom cooked eggs at the $29 breaky buffet because the sole egg chef was always overworked. Bar food was good value.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank couta99
Dear couta99,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I am very sorry to hear we failed to meet your expectations, but I will certainly follow up directly with my team on the issues mentioned.
With regard to the hotel's current star rating (4.5 star) - this is assessed independently by AAA Tourism and in fact our most recent assessment was conducted only last month in December.
I'm not sure which tower you stayed in when you were with us but we have two pools - one small and one very large - and all guests (regardless of the tower they are staying in) can use either.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and should you be willing to give us another try at some stage, please contact me directly and I will do my utmost to ensure you have a great stay.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Arrived and thought this place looks tired and that apricot paintwork has to go!!! Rooms average and the housemaid could never quite make the bed properly apparently tucking in the bottom sheet is just too hard...We had the luck of the American baseball team on one side and the screaming baby on the other. The walls are paper thin...Complaints were made and we were immediately offered a rate reduction and staff did take our complaints seriously even though the maid could still not make the bed correctly. The pool area is nice and not too packed considering it was school holidays...We did like the location as close too Broadbeach and Surfers. We would stay here again as we liked the location but don't expect a five star experience.

Room Tip: Choose one with thick insulation!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cody4489,
I was so sorry to hear of the noise and housekeeping issues which you experienced during your stay. Thank you for letting us know at the time as I do know the Duty Manager followed up directly with the visiting baseball team management. I have also conveyed your comments to the housekeeping team as it is most unusual to receive such a complaint.
Please accept my most sincere apologies and I am pleased that you were compensated accordingly and that we took your complaints seriously.
Please contact me personally next time you visit the Gold Coast and I will do my utmost to redeem ourselves for your recent disappointment.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Our room was not ready for check in and when we finally got to our room it had not been cleaned properly. There was vomit on the veranda and curtains and the room smelt horrible. We were moved to another room but the staff did not appear concerned about the state of the first room. The decor is outdated and the wallpaper was peeling off in the bathroom.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank misseddylou
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear misseddylou,
Many thanks for posting comments on your recent stay with us. Obviously I am very disappointed you had such a poor experience with us and I would be most grateful if you could contact me to provide me with the date of your stay and room number. I will then be able to follow up accordingly with my team members directly. In the meantime please accept my most sincere apologies and do let me know when you will be visiting the Gold Coast again so I may be able to make amends for your recent disappointment.
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before and really enjoyed it. However, this time I traveled with my Mother who is a Coeliac - meaning she must eat Gluten Free (GF). We were pleased to see some GF notations on the restaurant menu and my Mother ordered these types of dishes. However, after the first night she was taken ill. The only thing 'unaccounted' for regarding GF was the dessert she had at the restaurant which was noted on the menu as GF and came with ice cream (the Caesar salad had been served minus dressing and croutons etc and the wait staff told us that the caesar dressing was not GF). That night we ate in the restaurant again and asked the staff which of their ice creams were gluten free. "None" was the reply. We advised them that they had served a GF dessert with ice cream the previous evening and they stated "Oh, our desserts are 'garnished' with ice cream". When you see GF beside something on a menu, it is not unrealistic to expect that ALL items that make up the dish are GF. There are some commercially available ice creams that are GF. The supervisor did say that "we need to alter our menu".

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear NurseSlack,
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us and I was very sorry to hear your Mother fell unwell during her visit to the Gold Coast.
Thank you for advising of the issues with the ice cream dessert and you may rest assured I have followed up accordingly with the Executive Chef and the Restaurant Manager.
In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist you personally at any time in the future.
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed there for 8 nights. Not in the main surfers paradise area - it's about a 20 min walk or 10 min bus ride. It's actually right in the middle of surfer's paradise and broad beach.

The double bed room wasn't as what I would have expected it to be. The bed wasn't the usual queen-sized but instead about twin-sized which left me quite upset because it's too small for 2 adults to be sleeping in it.

Room service was terrible. We waited over an hour for a bucket of ice on one night and when I called to check on it, the staff told me that they are busy and will send the ice to my room when they have the time. I find that comment rather unacceptable. We receive our bucket of ice after hours.

Upon checking in, there was no bedroom slippers, facial tissues & bathrobes. I had to call housekeeping to request for them and they took over an hour to deliver. Housekeeping was of average standard - towels were changed, beds were made up, bins were cleared but they didn't clear the used cups (we had tea and the cup with the tea bags were left there), toilet floor remained sandy so I don't think much cleaning was done. No refills on the tea bags and hot chocolate at the mini-bar (which was supposed to be free).

General cleanliness of the room is poor. We spotted a few baby cockroaches here and there on some days in the bathroom.

There's no in-room wifi for free. Free wifi is limited for usage at the lobby for 30 mins every day.

Staff at the concierge were very friendly and helpful - which I think it's the only redeeming factor for this hotel. They provided excellent information on transport (timings, cost and the best mode), places of interest, etc...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank camscams
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear camscams,
Many thanks for choosing to stay with us for 8 nights recently. I was very sorry to hear of the issues which you experienced with both room service and housekeeping and rest assured your comments have been shared with the team accordingly. Please accept my most sincere apologies for our shortcomings on this occasion.
With regard to the bedding in the room - we offer both twin rooms (with two double beds) or king rooms (with one king size bed). I am not sure how you made your reservation but if it was an online booking then you would have been presented with both options to choose from.
I would be very happy to hear from you further if I can assist in any way as this will help me to address your specific concerns.
Once again, thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

After such disappointment with our regular qld resort holiday resort, it was an absolute delight to come to a hotel that was clean, comfortable and with staff that went the extra mile to make sure you enjoyed your stay, this was across the board too- from the cleaners to the concierge to the reservation desk, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Only downside is that it was a little bit of a walk to the main strip of cavill ave but we were happy about being away from the hustle and bustle and enjoyed the walk, it was close to broadbeach which was great for a change.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lauren1982
Dear Lauren1982,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed interacting with the team. You are right - the hotel is located almost midway between both Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach so you have a tremendous variety of options either way.
I hope we have the opportunity to be of service to you once again in 2013.