Check in - we're a family of 2 Adults travelling with 2 young kids from Singapore. As we arrived very early in the morning, I requested upon booking for early check-in which I was told was not guaranteed. Clearing customs took a while and also time to sort out the formalities for car rental, we arrived at the hotel about 10-ish only to be told that our room was not ready. Slightly disappointed but since the kids are sleeping well in the car (tired out from their first ever overnight flight), I was able to use the time to do some grocery shopping at the supermarket. Requested for a room with a view of the ocean but again disappointed when I was told that none was available.
Rooms - we had a deluxe room on the 17th floor facing Chevron Island. The view was OK and it would be awesome if we could wake up with a view of the ocean. Room size was rather tight but manageable. There was hardly any space for me to work since the TV took most of the space which also acts as a computer and dressing table. A small round table became my workstation cum snack area cum utility table. The double beds are OK since we're of smaller frame and sharing each with a young kid. Amenities are sufficient and we can easily get any shortfall from the supermarket. The bathroom is a bit outdated but acceptable. Brightly lighted is a plus to me as compared to the dark dull poor lit bathrooms in some 5-star hotels. The bathroom had glass doors (presumably to replace shower curtains which is flumsy) but it really restricts movement going in and out of the bathtub. Towels were replaced daily and clean.
Parking - daily rates @ $15/- seemed high in my opinion based on my understanding of local conditions but hey, it is cheaper than where I came from. However, it is rather cumbersome having to have to buzz in everytime I enter the carpark, explaining that I'm a guest in the hotel, my room number and that I've paid for parking. An automated entry card would make more sense. Car lots are rather small and in some parts, almost pitch dark. So, strongly recommend more lightling. I like the fact that we were able to access our room direct from the one lift rather than having to change lift at Ground level.
Location - amenities and food are plentiful nearby. The light rail construction just outside the hotel did cause some inconvenience, both as a driver and as a pedestrian, since some roads have been blocked off. And being schoolies week, the roads nearer to Cavill Ave was closed to traffic after 6pm which made accessing the supermarkets there by car impossible. Will avoid this period at all costs in future.
Blackout - there was a blackout when we returned in the evening of 17 Nov. I was told that this was very rare but it certainly wasn't pleasant with very little light in the room, no aircon nor TV. Cannot shower as the bathroom was pitch dark. And there was no torchlight in the room. I strongly suggest one after this. The staff could not help much. Thankfully, power was restored I think after 10pm. We saw 2 fire engines at the front lobby, so I believe that there might be a fire in the generator floor. A letter from the hotel to all guests to explain what really happened would be appreciated but was never done, as if no inconveniences was caused.
Breakfast - only meal we had in the hotel was one breakfast buffet. Choices are limited at the Wave Restaurant but not much issue since we're not big nor fussy eaters. Plenty of better choices nearby hotel within walking distance.
Overall, it was a pleasant 6-night stay. We're generally easy-going people and being on vacation, we did not want to allow these small hiccups to spoil our moods. Staff was generally friendly and helpful which is a plus. The hotel could have done more to make themselves more family friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Watermark Hotel & Spa is located in the heart of Surfers Paradise, the host of magnificent beaches, shopping and restaurants. The Hotel is ideally positioned on the Surfers Paradise Station of the Light Rail connecting to Gold Coast Convention Centre and Jupiters Casino, or a five minute walk to Cavill Avenue. Guests enjoy a day spa and hair salon, two outdoor swimming pools and spas and fitness centre. Our modern designer rooms enjoy ocean or hinterland views and include a flat-screen TV, fridge and are fully air conditioned. The en suite bathrooms are supplied with essential amenities and a hairdryer. Shared laundry facilities are available. L'Aqua Day Spa boasts a variety of massage treatments, and features premium products to ensure pure indulgence. Waves Buffet Restaurant offers a hot buffet breakfast daily, and an International Buffet for dinner. Visit Clifford's Grill & Lounge and Walrus Social House (bar, gaming, cafe) for a night of great tastes and tempting cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz and HotelQuickly so you can book your Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Watermark Hotel And Spa Gold Coast
- Watermark Hotel Gold Coast
- Watermark Hotel Surfers Paradise
- Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast Surfers Paradise