“NICE RESORT” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Sydney, Australia
“NICE RESORT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

i frequently travel to the gold coast every year. This time i decided to stay at this property instead of Legends. This was an alright hotel, situated a few blocks away from the famous cavill ave. The staff were not welcoming and this needs to improve if you want more business. The facilities was great, really enjoyed the slide and the pool. I stayed in a two bedroom suite and the room was great, couldn't complain. The only downside was we wanted a top floor and the receptionsit only gave us a room on the 8th level facing the city instead of the beach. But it was a lovely hotel and met great people there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MWM99, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. It disappoints me to learn that you encountered an instance of indifference in terms of attitude from a member within our team and sincerely apologise. The issue you raised will be addressed. All rooms are pre allocated and when the property is fully booked it is very difficult to provide room moves. We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities and look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards,

Michael W Murtagh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Korean first
Frankston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2010

Having enjoyed stays at many Mantra properties previously, I had no hesitation when choosing Mantra Sun City for our recent holiday to the Gold Coast. However after staying at Sun City – I will never stay at another Mantra property again.

As other reviewers have mentioned I was also disappointed with certain aspects of our stay such as the limited hours of room service, lifts that seemed to break down almost daily and the extra charges for pool towels and room servicing etc. My main complaint however is the total lack of concern for guest’s privacy and security.

Early in the morning of 14 October 2010, my partner and I had been out for the evening with some friends, who were also staying at Sun City, and returned around 4.45 am. My partner and I went to our room on the 5th floor and our friends went to their room on the 32nd floor. About half an hour later we were awakened by one of friends entering our room. Our friend stated he was just returning something my partner had left in their car and when asked how he gained access to the room he stated that he had just gone down to reception, given my surname and the room number and asked for a key – it was that simple. This is far from satisfactory. When I complained about this to the duty manager, he all but called me a liar stating that it just would not have happened. He then went on to state that in order to get a key, my friend would have had to know my surname, the room number and my home address. This is still ridiculous. It shouldn’t matter if my friend knew every personal detail of mine on record; - nobody should be given a key to my room without my permission.

Another example of their apparent indifference to guests security relates to a bill for dinner at the hotel restaurant. My partner and I had arranged to meet friends (the same friends who were staying at the hotel) for dinner in Sayas restaurant at 7.30 pm. My partner and I arrived early, asked the waiter for a table for four, and proceeded to the bar to have a drink before dinner while we waited for our friends. We ordered from the bar and charged it to our room as we had done the previous two evenings and went outside to wait and have a cigarette. Our friends arrived about ten minutes later and after greeting us outside they went in and also got drinks from the bar charging the drinks to their room. After talking for a while, we were seated, had dinner and a few more drinks and left around 9.00 pm. At this point both couples were under the impression that two separate accounts had been running with each couples purchases being charged to the appropriate rooms – that was of course until I checked out and discovered that the whole evening had been charged to my account. Once again I complained to the duty manger and once again it was a pointless exercise as he refused to accept that the hotel staff had made any mistake. He claims we obviously didn’t make it clear were paying separately. Well if stating to the waiter upon arriving that “can we have this on two separate accounts” isn’t clear enough, then I guess we are guilty of this. He went on to state that nobody could charge anything to my room without me being present to authorize the charge – yet somehow even though I was nowhere near the bar when my friends were ordering drinks the cost still somehow managed to end up on my account. He then went on to state that if we had signed for the bill at the end of dinner as we were supposed to, the mistake could have been rectified then and there with no problem. I really take offense at this last claim as when we left the restaurant there was nobody at the front desk to give us the account to look at and after waiting for a while we just ended up leaving as we were running late for another appointment. I think he needs to remember that we are guests at the hotel and when we want to leave the restaurant and settle the bill it should be made available to us at that time – we shouldn’t have to wait around for your staff to finish whatever it is they are doing and get round to serving us. The duty manager was adamant I had to pay the account so I ended up just placing it on my credit card and left the hotel extremely unimpressed with the outcome.

Mantra denies all of this and claims that they have the video footage to prove these events didn’t happen but of course they won’t release this video footage. This to me is strange. If I ran or owned a hotel and a guest had made potentially damaging claims against that hotel, I would do anything I could to prove otherwise. So why won’t Mantra release the video they claim they have? They say its because they don’t want to compromise the privacy of their guests (ironic). Personally I believe it has more to do with the individual apartment owners of Sun City finding out how poorly Mantra are managing their investment properties

My opinion is to avoid this hotel at all costs – the poor attitudes to guests privacy and security are bad enough, but the hotels refusal to rectify or compensate for this are even worse.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cheyne67
MWM99, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, December 30, 2010
It disappoints me to learn that you encountered a number of issues during your stay. I have now personally investigated these matters and I will be responding directly to you and addressing these issues accordingly. This is not up to our usual standard and I apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay.

Kind regards,

Gold Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2010

My wife & I stayed for one night on 17 December, we booked via a website, and were quite concerned about the poor reviews posted since we had booked. We found our stay to be quite pleasing, the room was fine, the service good and the amenities were above average. The pool areas were great and would be ideal for holidaying families. I would rate this hotel 3.5 stars. Overall I was glad that we chose to stay here, don't be put off by the negative comments of a few.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank parramulla
MWM99, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

King regards,

Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

Dear Mr Michael Boyd and other MANTRA sun city staff

I like to travel and every year I visit several locations. I never stay at resorts below 4 stars and have recently spent 4 nights at your resort. I would rate this resort as a 3 star not a 4.5 star.
The first thing you need to address is the HYGINE. It is dirty. The rooms smell and the staff clearly, have not cleaned the rooms prior to new guests arriving. I found a pair of panties under the bed and a stain on the pillow. This is standard stuff, linen should be washed, ironed and CLEAN. The bathroom was also dirty, dusty and not welcoming. There was a funny smell in the kitchen and the rubbish bins were not emptied. So feedback number 1- Your resort rooms are dirty and need a good clean. This is a big issue, especially for people staying with little children. I also had to wear thongs in the shower because it was so dirty. The mattress was uncomfortable and the pillows were aged and need replacing.

Judging by other peoples reviews, I am clearly not the only one who feels this way!

Feedback number 2 - The resort offered no extra touches. No complimentary soap, shower gel, maybe some chocolates on arrival. First time ever for me to stay at resort where all you get is a dirty room. There were no extra touches in any form of shape. Let me tell you about another experience. I recently stayed at Crown in Melbourne. We were upgraded to a free room upgrade, just because they could. We were given complimentary mini sized shower gel, shampoo, and other basic necessities. I understand that this is a 5 star, but I have received the same in a 4 star in the past.. not at Mantra Sun City however.
Its simple, bulk order a box of chocolates and place a small piece on the pillow. Bulk order some basic bathroom necessities and place them in the bathroom. You spend a little, but you gain LACK OF REVIEWS SUCH AS THIS ONE.

So here I am, in the resort on our first night, with no shampoo, no shower gel, no tooth paste, NO BATH ROBES, nothing. Its night, everything is closed and I have to go to bed not feeling like Im spending my first night at a 4.5 resort. Wait for it, it gets worse.

The service in Saya restaurant was poor. There was no special treatment of customers or a sense of customer service. The food was average, we only ate there once and then looked at other restaurants. If the food was decent, we would have had breakfast there every morning. Please take note of other peoples reviews too, they say the same thing!

The staff were friendly, as in smilies and all, but they werent helpful in going that extra step. There was none of that.. exceeding expectations or going the extra step.

COMMON, this your peak season. A staff meeting is in order where you can discuss these issues. I would have rather stayed in a neat, clean apartment, with no resort style facilities then staying in this extremely dirty resort.

Most people read these reviews before booking. I didnt bother to check TripAdvisor regarding your resort as it was a very last minute booking, however my travel agent advised me that it is a 4.5 star and fairly decent. This is not what I expected. The photos on the website are always nicer then what you see when you come to the resort - everybody who travels knows this.. but in the case of Mantra, the photos are NOTHING like what the actual resort is.. take the photos and imagine them 10 times worse.

I can see that you leave your number and your name when you respond to negative feedback.. but this isnt going to change peoples experiences. It isnt going to refund them the money they have spent at your resort. After our stay at Mantra, we went and stayed at the Wave resort on broadbeach, because we felt like we didnt really have a holiday at Mantra..It just didnt seem fair to go home after this. It is a 4.5 star resort and let me tell you, 10 times better then Mantra. The rooms were clean and spotless, we could take a shower without thongs, we had complimentary mini shower gels, shampoo, body lotion, and fluffy bathrobes neatly presented in the bathrooms. We had mini box of chocolates on each side of the bed. (For HER and HIM - nice little touch). They also gave us complimentary breakfast on our first night which we thought was very sweet!!!! We loved it so much we ended up extending our stay there and we returned to Melbourne tonight. I would recommend this resort to anyone and will be telling ALL of my friends, relatives and clients about this resort, as they all love to travel.

So for the mantra staff:
MANTRA, word of mouth is the BEST form of advertising.
Its the little things that make a difference.
Hygine is the most simplest, easiest way to improve an appearance of a resort.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HelloMocha
MWM99, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, December 20, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. It disappoints me to learn that you encountered a number of issues during your stay. I regret the shortcomings in service you have reported from housekeeping and our Executive Housekeeper will certainly address this with her staff. This is not up to our usual standards and I can assure you that all rooms are fully cleaned and checked after each departure and we do provide guest amentities in all rooms. Also please accept my apologies that the service you were provided in Sayas Restaurant was inconsistent. The issue has been addressed with the respective department managers.
I apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay.

Kind regards,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

We were greeted by friendly staff when we checked in, given our keys and directed where to park our car & told that not to park in reserved parks but there will be plenty of places to park. 95% of the carparks are reserved!!!!! So we decided that one particular car park was "reserved" for us!.
When we got out of lift at our floor we greeted by a horrible smell in the stuffy corridor. After spending 6 nights at seaworld resort we were blown away by the size of our appartment! It was huge! And considering we didn't book a beach front unit we had fantastic views. There was also a terrible smell in our appartment, I first thought is was from the dishwasher as it had a very stale rotten smell in it. But 2 days later we found a bone in the garbage disposal that had obviously been there for a very long time!!! I would have to say that the room was not overly clean. Bathroom could have been cleaned alot better, there were chocolate finger prints on the back of door and showers not exactly cleaned well. Also there were two darts (from childs dart gun) in the lounge obviously from the previous family that had stayed.
Our first morning we went downstairs to the buffet breakfast. It was overpriced and overcooked! The Bacon was tough as the sole of my shoe, the eggs were so rubbery they would bounce like a ball. The watermelon was nice but that would be the only positive thing i could say about dining there. There was water dripping from the ceiling onto the floor and across four table from a vent. We didn't bother dining there again.
The pool looked great (not that we got to use it) Fantastic view and great location & rooms were huge, great for a long stay. Even thou i have listed alot of negatives they were all easily fixed by ourselves and I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank sprint47
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

Being a resident of the GC myself, I have stayed at A LOT of hotels in Surfers for various occasions over the past few years. I have to say I was surprised at some of the reviews on trip advisor regarding Sun City.
A group of us stayed just recently for a friends bday and the resort is fantastic. It has everything you could possibly want, and its only a short stroll to the heart of surfers.
The staff were great and helped us with everything! The resort was really clean and modern and the pool area is awesome!
We had a 3 bedroom ocean apartment on the 34th floor and the view is amazing!
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have traveled to a lot of places around the globe and I would have never thought I would find the worst hotel staff in the world within Australia. What makes me even more angry is that Australia's tourism industry is currently struggling and the people at the reception desk at this hotel, that trainee guy with brown hair, the bald thug like senior manager, the two girls one wearing glasses and the other with blonde hair are all atrocious. They are the worst hotel staff I have ever had to deal with. They were rude, arrogant and impolite. They seemed to think they owned this hotel and we had somehow come here to stay for free. I got something to tell you, the people that stay at this hotel, actually pay your wages. Doesn't matter for me or my partner anyway, we will never stay at this hell hole again. The lifts at this hotel weren't working either and mass groups of people have to wait bunched up like cattle at the lift gates of the one or two lifts that were working. The whole lobby was filled with people who were waiting for their rooms to be prepared but the staff couldn't seem to care less. They didn't even advise people when their room were ready and the arrogance continued after we finally managed to get into our room and went downstairs. We were too sick and tired of the rudeness and arrogance of these up their own date staff and we stamped out and got assistance from the extremely help full Gold Coast tourism people on Cavill Avenue. The Gold Coast is a wonderful place to stay at but do not ever stay at this hotel. The facilities of this hotel are there but the staff are the worst on the planet. Never recommending, never staying, best of luck to you, you are an absolute utter disgrace to Australian Tourism and Hospitality. Hopefully the owners read this and sack the lot that work here, it would be a mass benefit to not just the mantra sun city but also Australia in general.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jennymac72
MJB74, Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
It disappoints me to learn that you encountered a number of service issues during your recent stay. To assist me further in investigating these matters, I invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more detail so I can address these issues accordingly.
Many thanks