“One happy customer”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“One happy customer”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at the Mantra Sun City from the 7-12th January on one of the 5th floor one bedroom apartments. Initially I was a little worried from looking at the below reviews but I definately did not come across any of the problems that have been brought up and was very satisfied with my stay.

The one bedroom apartments are very clean and tidy, with furniture being comfortable to sleep and sit on. The appliances included in the kitchen included an oven, microwave and stove, so we were able to have some meals at the apartment! I don't know if other reviewers were unlucky with having a bad room or were merely expecting modern decor. If you wanted that, you should have stayed at a higher priced hotel!

The staff at Sun City were always welcoming, and were more than happy to assist wherever needed. On the first night we discovered that our fridge wasn't cooling properly, as well as having a minor bug issue (which is not unusual to find in hot, humid places). Only a few hours after we reported both issues they were fixed that same day.

Facilities = Amazing. They have two outdoor pools, one of which is a lagoon pool layout, with two waterslides, two spas and an indoor pool. The Aztec theme is also really cool, definately made the stay. There is an outdoor bar, with a games room attached to it for those days you want to laze around the resort.

With our package we had an all-inclusive buffet breakfast for the rest of our stay. It includes bacon, eggs, pastries, fresh muffins and fruit and pancakes to say the least. I can definately say I wasn't left hungry! I also had a one hour massage with the Calmer Therapies day spa within the hotel, and couldn't recommend this more for those staying.

Overall I am very happy with my stay and would definately be staying here again on my next trip to Surfers!

Room Tip: If you are really worried about getting a "run down" room, call the resort and request for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nikita_MSS, Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Melissa S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback in relation to your experience at Mantra Sun City Resort; greatly appreciated.

We appreciate your feedback regarding your rooms and am pleased that your room was clean, comfortable and the kitchen was suitable for your stay.

Also, thank you for your valuable feedback regarding our team & the facilites provided at Mantra Sun City.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Sun City in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 10, 2013

NO STARS RATING. Room nothing to what I expected. I would NOT reccomend anyone to stay here. Step back many years in time! Very, very poor quality furnishings. Blah blah blah enough wasted time said and done on mantra sun city

2 Thank Renroh
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Renrah,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience at Mantra Sun City Resort, I'm very sorry that your experience was not of a positive nature.

Some very positive news is the property is about to embark on a major common area refurbishment in May / June of this year therefore adding needed enhancements to the existing infrastrucutre.

We are also working very closely with the individual owners of the units to ensure that they upgrade their furniture and fixtures to bring them up to a refresh standard with urgency.

We hope to have each and every unit refurbished by the years end.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom appartment for 5 nights in between Xmas & new year for $800 per night. Where do I start so here goes
- room wasn't ready for 2 pm we waited untill 4.30 ( we had to keep going to reception as they didn't even let us know when our room was ready )
- there was no double beds in each of the rooms they were just single beds put together ( appalling for the price )
- all the cupboards in the kitchen were lined with alfoil hiding the mould
- no wine opener
- out butter melted in the fridge with it turned up to max
- furniture ripped & dirty
- oven door didn't close

Overall a crappy experience at a high price I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

3 Thank Brisgold
Dear Brisgold,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience at Mantra Sun City Resort.

I am very sorry that your stay with us did not provide you with a positive experience; I'm extremely sorry that your room was not ready at the check in time of 2pm, this is very disappointing.

As with most International Hotels, the European style bedding is utilised for mixed use accommodation, ie a group of singles staying or a group of couples, therefore allowing more accommodation types to stay at this resort.

We are constantly working with owners to refurbish where necessary which is the case with your allocated room. Your feedback is of valuable assistance to us when talking with these owners.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our first family holiday in years I wanted to make it special and splashed out on a 2 bed apartment for my hubby and 2 kids, paying over $1500 FOR ONLY 3 NIGHTS ACCOM!!!. After booking and paying in full approx 5 months earlier I stumbled across the trip adviser web site. Having looked up the reviews I became concerned about the quality of accom I booked. I called them straight away to confirm we would have a newly referb room on a highfloor with ocean views, all of which I was told we would have. We drove over 3000km to reach our accom and was given a room on the 1st floor!!! We couldn't believe it, I could have holidayed at home on waterfront for $150/day but instead I'm stuck with an average room over looking a busy road looking into brick walls of opossing high rises. Speaking to the manager and central renovations all who more or less said too bad! We were happy to stay in the apartment, but given the premium price we paid and the confirmed requests for high level ocean views which we didn't get on the 1st floor we thought a reduced rate wasn't asking too much. In short, once u hand ur money over to these vultures they couldn't give a dam!! If I ran my business in the same manner we would be out of business!!. Many sacrifices were made by my whole family to make this holiday possible, now we are left extremely disappointed and ripped off, we can't wait to leave Mantra Sun City!!

2 Thank Catcoops
Dear Catcoops,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent experience at Mantra Sun City Resort.

I sincerely apologise that we were unable to facilitate your request for an ocean view apartment during the peak period of the summer holidays.

Whilst I appreciate your request was made 5 months earlier than your arrival date, the availability does not allow us to guarantee rooms. During the period in question, the property ran at 100% occupancy not allowing us to facilitate any room moves.

Whilst commentary is made that the Central Reservations team and Management did not care about your complaint, this is untrue and I assure you that we empathise with you, however there was nothing that could be done, hence we never guarantee rooms or views for this very reason.

The Central Reservations team and the property staff have done nothing more than ensure that you have abided by the terms and conditions that you agreed to when confirming your purchase.

Northern Brisbane
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Booked a 3-bedroom apartment during Christmas season as a 'special treat'. Paying last minute rates was still $500 a night and rooms while spacious were tired, old, airconditioning not working, ripped carpet, broken locks etc - obviously an old building needing lots of maintenance. Constantly calling maintenance and reception for assistance. Consequently very hot and unable to sleep -- with children this was difficult. For the price paid could not recommend if you are expecting more than a 2.5-3* -- Ask questions before paying for accommodation at this hotel to see if it adequately meets your needs. Were told apartments are independently owned. Kitchen facilities inadequate.
Pool area/slides etc all excellent for family visit. Views spectacular.

Room Tip: high floors have excellent views. Check if airconditioning is working. Ask if room is safe for chi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your feedback that the rooms were spacious and I assure you as the Season's holiday period comes to an end, we are constantly working with owners to refurbish where necessary which is the case with your room. Your feedback is of valuable assistance to us when talking with these owners.

We thank you for bringing the maintenance issues you experienced concerning different items in the apartment. Unfortunately maintenance issues do arise from time to time and measures are in place to ensure such issues are rectified promptly. We wish to advise that corrective action has since been taken.

Thank you also for your feedback on the leisure faclities on the resort, appreciated.

Lake Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My report of this property is factual and impartial (as alway). Those that know me are aware that I receive nor give bulldust on these matters. I report what I see and experience, not what others tell me about or advise me on. We stayed here for 3 nights beginning on December 26th, 2012.

Well, it hasn't been the greatest of years for my older brother. His health is declining, so the wife & I decided to take a quick trip to the Gold Coast to visit him. Rather than burden them staying at their home, we usually opt for a nearby hotel room. That way all parties have some privacy and I get the bonus of a comfy bed and good a/c. Hey it IS Queensland in summer.
We decided to leave Newcastle at about 4.30am on Boxing Day, with fingers crossed that we'd miss the Pacific Highway congestion spots. As usual we left booking accommodation to the last minute, so to speak. A quick browse of Wotif, etc showed the lack of accommodation and the expected Xmas to New Year price hike. Many places tripled their prices for the week. Ouch.
After browsing the Mantra website, we decided on a "room only" at Sun City.
We'd stayed at the Marriot across the road many years back, so were well aware of the location. The website offered a room with breakfast for $190/night. Most of the year, this would be overpriced, but for the 3 nights we wanted, It was reasonable value. As a final check, I decided to call the Sun City direct and check their prices. They only had 1 bedroom apartments left, according to the reservations desk and the price was well above what we wanted to pay, as well as not including breakfast. So, it was back to the Mantra website, with some trepidation that no room would be available. I filled out the necessary information and the booking was accepted and confirmed within minutes at a price that was acceptable. Whew!
I had checked out several places before booking and all were too far away, or just really old motels all priced similar to the Sun City! My brother lives at Robina, about 1.5km SW of Jupiters Casino. Although there were a couple of motels around Kirra & Mermaid Beach, they were way overpriced for what they offered. Nothing in the Broadbeach area was even worth considering. I could have bought a reasonable vehicle for the 3 night cost.
After securing the booking I went onto Tripadvisor to check out any reviews of the place. Yes I know it's like eating raw fish from a supermarket and then checking the use by date, but accommodation WAS limited. Yikes! Every second review seemed to have a disgruntled customer complaining about how BAD the place is. This did un-nerve me about the stay, but as the wife said, we now have somewhere to stay.
The trip form Newcastle to Surfers took about 10 hours. I must say that considering the time of year, we had a "dream" run. No bottlenecks at Buladelah, Kempsey, or Ballina. The road work speed limits did slow the journey a bit, but there was no traffic congestion whatsoever. Better than the previous Saturday, where the TV News reported a 22km traffic hold-up coming into Kempsey.
WE arrived well before standard hotels book-in time of 3pm. The cheery counter staff made a quick check-in and the room was ours at 1.30pm EST (2.30pm DST). No stress, no fuss. The property's vehicle entry and the lobby was clean and tidy. There were a few scuffs & bumps on a couple of corners & walls, but this isn't the Hyatt or Crowne Plaza. The wife went to the room and I parked the car in the basement carpark (free parking). A substantial part of the parking area is "reserved". We were told to park anywhere, but in "reserved" spaces. Evening parking was a bit nail-biting finding a place, but we never missed out. The last night, we encountered the (pleasant) security guard in the carpark as we were driving around looking for a space and he guided us to one immediately.
I grabbed our luggage and took the lift straight up to our 33rd floor room. We found the lifts to work fast & smooth. No hold-ups. Our room was part of a multi-room condo. The type where you have a locked entry door that opens onto a small foyer with another two locked entry doors leading from the foyer to the respective rooms/apartments. Great feature for families with teenagers, allowing the parents some privacy.
Problem with this style was that the next room/apartment occupants would arrive at different times, just let both doors slam loudly and then have loud conversations in the intermediate foyer. Thought about sticking my head out and monstering them, but the wife suggested we adopt THEIR approach and just slam doors and speak as though we have earmuffs on. They ceased the slamming and noise.
Our room was quite spacious and featured a king-size bed assembled from two king singles, as is the general case with hotel rooms. There was a built-in closet with three sliding doors. On closet section was taken up with a bar fridge, coffee making facilities and a safe large enough to take the wife's handbag. A quick word about the safe.It's the digital code type and easy to operate, but was not secured very well. I just grabbed the opening, easily lifted it up and shaking it about with thumb and forefinger. I think it was only secured by one last remaining screw into the melamine coffee making area shelf. Very suss.
The separate bathroom featured a medium sized shower cubicle, toilet and large bench with a single sink. Water pressure was good, especially considering the 33rd floor location. Tip. Shut the roller blind if using the bathroom. The concave structure of the building's external sides means that the bathrooms are visible to each other. Not that anybody would like to perve on a 58yo overweight biker. Well, I guess there ARE some crazies out there, haha!
The room was clean as a new pin. No dirty feet, grimy carpet, mould. stained furniture, dirty walls, or dirty linen. I guess that the management listened to the previous reviewers, or we were just lucky and had the only clean room in the place. I suspect not, as the hallways were the same to/from our room. Actually, it smelt as though the hallways had recently been treated to a steam carpet cleaner. The worst wear I found was on the thick wooden grab rails around the interior of the lifts. Not objectionable, but the stain/coating was worn from contact over time. Some may say that it even had character, or patina. Preferable to a cold, melamine finish everywhere. Every time we traversed the main foyer (morning/afternoon)we always saw a girl swabbing the decks, so to speak. Some of the areas adjacent to the front desk were also shaded from the touch of human hands for may years. This is a solid sandstone surface and I'd guess that the stain is probably due to sunblock on kids hands than anything else. Not really objectionable and I don't know how they'd remove it from the natural stone surface without damage. Hey, I'm not saying the place is brand new, but it was cleaned about as good as any other accommodation I've stayed in and that's a damn lot.
View from our large (opening) bedroom window was magnificent. It looked out over the canals and hinterland. Traffic noise was minimal (33rd floor) with the window open. I found this out because I was having trouble sleeping with a/c drying my nose/mouth out so I turned it off and opened the window one night. Didn't help, it's really me that's the problem. The wife believes I'm allergic to the lack of dust. We're doing renovations at our home, haha.
Oh, I found the bed very comfortable. Much better than staying at the Sofitel with their trademark "soft" beds, which are akin to sleeping in a bathtub full of polyester stuffing. This bed was firm and supportive, with no hint of sag. Of course there's a hard spot in the middle. You want a one piece king? Call the Versace or Hilton. At the Sofitel, I was so uncomfortable that I had to take the bed linen off the bed and slept on the floor. It was that or the chiropractor.
The included buffet breakfast was more than adequate for most tastes. Various fresh juices, selection of breads, fresh and stewed fruits, various yoghurts, milks and cereals, mountains of bacon, chipolatas, poaced and scrambled eggs, baked beans, potato gems, boiled rice, coffee, tea, etc. The usual stuff and plenty of it. There was even an automatic pancake making machine and jugs of maple syrup. All was fresh and the area clean. No dramas here.
I can't comment on the tennis courts. Never ventured there. The general property surrounds were kept clean and yard maintenance seemed up to par. Be warned that there are some water dragons (lizards) patrolling the gardens around the water features. They're harmless and in keeping with the Aztec theme. They also make great chemical-free insect controllers.
The main pool has a sand beach area for the kids to play on which is a nice touch. There's a wooden deck/bench area beside this to sunbake on as well as misc sun lounges positioned around the pool surrounds. Good for parents to keep an eye on the toddlers. Tip. They're YOUR kids, so don't ignore them and expect everyone else to look out for them. You did the deed, so suck it up. Don't expect other patrons and pool staff to be your unpaid childminders. This pool also has two enclosed water slides dropping into one end from an Aztec-styled staired structure at one end. This structure also houses the gym, plus pool are amenities. There is a heated indoor pool building of a similar architectural style beside it. I opened the entry door to it and was bowled over by the heavy chlorine smell. You'd have to love heated pools.
Behind these two building is a path that lead to a heated outside spa set into rocks and the to a small rock-surrounded pool that receives flow from the main pool over a rock waterfall and also from two wall fountains spilling into this pool. This is THE spot for those that want to escape the main pool madness. It's not exciting enough for kids and it's hidden from the main foot-traffic areas. A great area for those that haven't popped a family out in the last 15 years.Hey, the description works. You know what I mean. Kid-free zone. Ohhh yeahhh…
Never dined at the restaurant as we had other things to do, so I can't comment on the evening fare. Never did see the pool bar open, but that may have been that we weren't there during it's operating hours (whatever they are).
The Surfers paradise are roads are in mayhem at the moment, as they are implementing a light rail link system from down near the Entertainment Centre almost at Broadbeach right up to Southport. Mayhem is not a strong enough word, so you get the gist of it. Unfortunately, the Sun City's surrounding streets are not immune. There's temporary security fencing and road blockages everywhere. Notwithstanding this, vehicular and pedestrian access to the Sun City was still adequate. It doe amaze me though, how the local small businesses stay open with such interruption to their daily business. I found the easiest way to access the Sun City from the south by vehicle, was to turn west into Ocean Street, from the Esplanade on Main Beach and it takes you directly to the main entry. If you're coming from the South along the Gold Coast Highway past the Mecure, you have to continue north and do a turn at the park traffic lights onto Surfers Paradise Boulevard , then come back south to Ocean Avenue.
In summary, I found the place to be a reasonable spot to stay and my original preconceptions based on previous reviews never materialised. Maybe we're easily satisfied, maybe others encountered problems I didn't get to see. Who knows.

Room Tip: Remember that the sun hits the window very early when you're 33 floors up. If you're not an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Harleynut,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your experience at Mantra Sun City resort.

I'm very sorry to read about your brothers deterioriating health, I do hope that this improves. I'm very pleased that you were able to find last room availablility at Mantra Sun City Resort.

As a mixed use facility accommodating leisure holiday makers along with owner occupiers and permanent tenants, the car parking can be quite tight however I'm very pleased that you never missed out on a parking space.

I certainly appreciate your commentary on the cleanliness of the rooms and the resort, the room attendants and public area cleaners work tirelessly to ensure the standard of cleaninliness is of the highest standard

Thank you for your feedback on the buffet breakfast and the resorts leisure facilities, greatly appreciated

Once again Harleynut, we do thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Sun City resort in the near future.

Mantra Sun City
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

I paid a fair price for what i got. Tired looking hotel which could definitely do with a make-over. A true shadow of its former self, looks as if Mantra are not doing a proper job of maintaining this property or not willing to put the $$ in.

Was ok, all the stuff look busy and as if they could not be bothered. Once you engage them though, they are quite friendly.

Overall Look
Needs a refurb, yesterday.

Rooms
Very spacious with lots of windows, you definitely won't be in short of a nice view. Beds are uncomfortable & pillows lumpy, makes for a very uncomfortable sleep.

Housekeeping
Mantra please improve here. There was hair everywhere in the bathroom. On the bed spread eww- my biggest pet hate. Windows also need a thorough clean as well as balcony glass panels.

Pools & water slides
Big winner here! A hit with the kids and adults alike. Enough pools and hot tubs to keep everyone happy. Big thumbs up!

In conclusion, this hotel is ok but was a bit of a disappointment in terms of the Mantra standards set by Southbank (brisbane) and circle on cavill (have stayed at both before)

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Melania S
Damosan75_MSS, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience at Mantra Sun City Resort, we appreciate your response.

We thank you for your feedback regaring the presentation of the property and can advise that the Body Corporate for Mantra Sun City are committed to refurbishing the common areas of the resort in the coming months which will definitely improve the image of the resort with urgency.

We are also working with the indvidual owners of each apartment ensuring that at the end of the peak summer period that our refurbishment program is restarted bringing the furniture and fixture qualities of the rooms in line with the recently refurbished rooms.

I do offer my apologies that there were issues with the housekeeping standard in your unit and will work with urgency in rectifying this with the team. This is certainly an isolated case but will certainly ensrue the team are briefed on this area.

I also thank you for your feedback on the recreational facilities of the resort, this is greatly appreciated.

Once again we thank you for your feedback and do hope to welcome you back to Mantra Sun City in the near future.