“Good apartments for families”
Review of Mantra Sun City

Mantra Sun City
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Apartments are clean and spacious. We took out a 2 bedrooms and a 3 bedrooms apartments.

We had a good view of the ocean and amenities are sufficient. Furniture in the lounge for both the aparments were looking tired but overall still comfortable to stay.

Only disappointment was the kitchen utensils and cutleries. Would have liked it to be a little more well equipped - like we didnt have a cutting board and knives that can actually cut.

This is not a service apartment but this is also reflected in the price that is cheaper than the other apartments.

A refurbishment of this place will bring a fantastic value to its customer....

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Damosan75_MSS, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear KL Gwen,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Mantra Sun City.

We appreciate your comments regarding the spacious family apartments and I'm pleased that you were happy with the ocean view and amentiies of the apartment.

We are currently working with our individual owners of the apartments to facilitate a refurbishment of the apartments to ensure we keep them looking fresh and we hope to have this occuring in 2013.

We do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to Mantra Sun City in the near future.

Best regards

Damian Sillars
Mantra Sun City

There are newer reviews for Mantra Sun City

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We arrived at 10pm on Friday 14/9/12 we had our 5 month old baby with us, we had booked at 1 bedroom apartment with a King size bed and 1 cot.
When we went up to our room there was a Queen size bed and no Cot. The bed was on a metal frame, you could feel the springs through the mattress.

We spoke to Melanie who was on reception and she told us that it was a King size bed and that we were mistaken.

We then spoke to the duty manager Ricardo and he then confirmed that there were no other rooms that we could move into and that he would send a cot up straight away.

We then waited over 2 hours for the cot to be brought up, and when the PORTACOT cot was set up with there were blankets used on the bottom of it, which luckily we knew was a SIDS risk so we removed it before we put our child to sleep. I asked Ricardo if we would be able to get a refund for the first nights accommodation and he said we would need to speak to central reservations.

When I called central reservations I left a message with the night service to for the central reservations to call me back. To this date, I still have yet to receive a phone call.

Last night I went out for dinner with friends (2 months after our holiday) and we talked about our stay, as my friend is a travel agent and I explained to her what happened.
So today I decided to call up and ask why we never got a call back.

I was very unfortunate to again have to deal with Melanie on the front desk, I can honestly say I have never spoken to someone who was in hospitality that is as rude as she, she cut me off mid conversation today twice. I again spoke with Ricardo and he told me that he couldn't help me any further and that he would have to get someone else to call me tomorrow, I don't really want to wait another 2 months to sort it out, so I said no.

I then called central reservations and because I paid via bank transfer I am unable to go through my bank to get my refund. I spoke with Team Leader Geoff, he told me that the terms and conditions of our stay were met and therefor if you book a 1bedroom King Size bed with a Cot and do not get that, it is simply your own problem.

We were moved the next day and into a lovely room, the rest of our stay was faultless I will admit except for the room service, we ordered a trio of dips and one of the dips being oil and vinegar.

I don't think it was an a big deal that it was a Queen size bed or that the cot wasn't ready, unprofessional most definitely.

I think we should have been offered something in a way to say we made a mistake please accept our apology, but instead nothing, we had to move our own room with our baby including the porta cot :/ and we were never to hear from the hotel again even after I requested a refund or a discount at the least.

I have given up, all I can do is be honest and let you know that this hotel is very disorganised and considering there is a lot of competition why stay somewhere like this.

Have fun on your next holiday.

oh and Surfers is great for a young baby, we took her on the aqua duck and she loved it as much as we did :)

Room Tip: Ask to not be given a room with a queen size bed even though they are all advertised as King's...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Cecchi
MWM99, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Hi Cecchi,
Thank you for taking the time to express your views of your experience here at Mantra Sun City.
I am disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. I have investigated your comments with our staff and spoken to them regarding your comments. Sometimes messages and views can differ and I do sincerely apologises for any inconvenience during your stay.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Our family recently stayed here for a week. Kids loved the pools, spa and slides. The grounds of the hotel are lovely. The restaurant at the Hotel was nice but overpriced for what it was, service was great though. Great breakfast.
We were told by staff that Mantra is in the process of refurbishing - we did not have a refurbished room and the furniture had definately seen better days. The apartment was huge but in need of a facelift. Carpet ok but walls quite marked. Cleanliness ok. Great size for a family holiday. Good facilities - dishwasher, washing machine etc. Bathrooms great size.
Air conditioning hardly worked though. Luckily we didnt really need it!
We had great ocean views. Good spot. Close enough to wander down to Cavill Ave but far enough away to be reasonably quiet. Close stroll to beach & putt putt golf across the road. Good little convenience store on opposite corner.

Room Tip: Ocean views are great from this hotel. Ask for a refurbished room. Apartments are great size for f...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ROCCOS2004

Hi ROCCOS2004,
Thank you very much for your review of Mantra Sun City.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our facilities.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed in a room on the 17 floor last week with my partner for two nights and this place couldn't be any better ! Loved all the pools and spas especially the sauna . The rooms were huge for the price you pay , you get a lot more then you pay for there ! Perfect customer service , amazing breakfast buffet and the blonde woman who works in sayas was one of the happiest friendliest person I've ever met ! The hinterland view was so amazing ! As soon as we walked in and put our bags in the bedroom we couldn't help but notice how huge the bed was !! And how ridiculously comfy it was .. I dont thin ive ever slept so good in my life . And as I've read a few bad comments about the beds being two singles ... I think some people need to take in mind that the housekeeping staff aren't expected to carry singles down stairs and bring up a king bed as the bed may need to be split into a twin .. So stop your complaining about the beds !! The housekeeping staff all did an amazing job . As A supervisor of housekeeping myself I thought this place was nothing but amazing .. Thank you ! Definitely be recommending this place and I'll definitely be back ! :)

Room Tip: Definitely get the hinterland view !! You really appreciate a beautiful sunset over the canals !
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tayla S

Dear Tayla S,
Thank you so much for your lovely review of Mantra Sun City so that fellow travellers can learn what to expect when they stay with us.
I am pleased to read that your were impressed with the size and facilities of our units.
It is pleasing to read also that the staff provided a high level of customer service and looked after your needs.
i look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Gold Coast.

Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this resort for 5 days recently. We found that the condition and cleanliness of the room was not of 4.5 stars! The bed spread had a stain and so did the bath towels, the walls were also marked. The ensuite was lovely and big and so was the kitchen, the apartment had great views and was well located away from the noisy centre but close enough to take a nice stroll down. The resort had great facilities but no one was making use of the beautiful pool as the water was freezing cold, it's a shame cause those slides looked like so much fun and was the only reason for my kids choosing this resort.

• Stayed: November 2012

Hi liwyvic,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review after your stay with us.
I am pleased you enjoyed our large rooms, facilities, views and location. Certainly I trust that the housekeeping issue were rectified as soon as they were brought to our attention. We do have two heated pools but usually by November the weather is warm enough to turn the heaters off.
I do hope that we are able to weclome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

The view were wonderful and the kids love to pool but the service of the staff was terrible. The front desk people did not make you feel welcome at all - it's was like it was a bother to serve you. If you service was better would consider staying again.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Emma2001

Hi Emma2001,
Thank you for your review and feedback.
I do sincerley apologise if our service did not meet your expectations. This is certainly one of our stong points at our resort.
I do hope we are able to welcome you back again.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Very tired décor on the 35 floor. Bed is very hard and unconformable, room are only serviced after 8 days. The room and outside room area smelt. Gym does not open until 7am odd as access is via the room swipe. Reception staff not friendly. I turned my ankle on my morning walk. When I returned to the Mantra I asked for an ice pack the answer was t no with no other suggestions. No ice in the room. Give this a miss.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CeeJay55

Hi CeeJay55,
Thank you for your honest review following your stay with us.
I am disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay. We are a strata apartment with full facilities in the units and do not provide a daily service like a hotel without these facilities. We certainly can service rooms daily if requested. Our Gym hours are 6am to 10pm which are normally suitable for most residence and guests. I trust that your ankle has had a full recovery and do sincerley appologise for the lack of available ice at the time. All refrigerators in the units do have ice trays and freezer facilities and our restaurant ice machine was out of order at the time.
Again I thank you for your review and I do hope to see you again in the future.