“Great for families, lovely pools, not so friendly service”
Review of Mantra Sun City

Mantra Sun City
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is a great family resort. I was disappointed that internet connection is paid per computer not for the room, this is a rip off, you should be able to use more than one computer with what you are asked to pay when other accom alternatives give you free access. One night was also fully booked so after driving around the car park for an hour I was asked to park in the visitors car park. The service staff were actually not helpful and some what rude about this like I should have known to park in the visitors car park. The staff really need some work on their manners.
The pools are excellent and having may to choose from is great including spas indoor and outdoor. Also, the room I satyed you could not pull the heavy curtains across to darken the room :(

Room Tip: Try for a room not near the trash chute - it can get a bit smelly
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tanya W
MWM99, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Dear Tanya W,
Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us at Mantra Sun City.
We have just this week upgraded our guest computer system and i trust that it will provide good service to all. I do sincerely apologise for the inconvenience in the car park. Unfortunately, of busy nights it can be a little difficult to find a spare park. We have over 170 car parks available however, a number of guests do bring two or more vehicles which can make it difficult for others. When this is brought to our attention we do have alternatives for guests parking in the building. I do apologise for the staff attitude you encountered and I have provided your comments for our our staff to read.
I do look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Kind regards,
Michael W Murtagh

Write a ReviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here with 3 other families recently and once again had a wonderful time. A couple of the families who arrived early were able to check in straight away. Paid just over $1300 for a 2 bedroom apartment for a week with bfast inc for all 4 of us (kids aged 12 and 14 too) and late checkout - hard to beat! Have stayed at Sea World 2 yrs ago and paid double for half the space. Full kitchen and laundry in room fantastic. View of beach from balcony. Restraunt even catered for my daughter who is anaphylactic to peanuts with no issue ( so they got the business of 17 of us on multiple nights!) Loved the giant pool slides too
Service great, easy walk into surfers central and only 30mins from main theme parks why would you stay anywhere else ?

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed here for my 30th, it was awesome! the room was massive with fantastic views of surfers CBD and ocean. Staff were amazing. Facilities were great, had fun going down the waterslides with my mates. Wish I had booked a longer stay! Perfect distance from central surfers paradise! Will be back again soon!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have stayed at this resort on and off for over the past 12 years. I have stayed in the hotel room, 1 bed apartment and 2 bed apartment. My stays previously have all been very pleasant. Sun City is in a great location. Its about a 10 minute walk to Cavill Ave, a 1 minute walk to the beach. Other than the hotel room I would describe the rooms as spacious. I stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment this time with family for a five night stay. The room was clean and overall I was happy with it. Upon arrival my three requests were not met (floor leve, outlook, check in time). It appeared to me the most important thing to the receptionist was ensuring she had a $200 credit card for any incidentals. As it can be seen by previous comments (requests for a higher floor) one of my requests was for a higher floor. The receptionist was baffled why anyone would request this, asking why. I had to tell her that they property was on a highway and the traffic noise is an issue. I then waited around the pool area unitl my room was ready and then had to back to reception near 3pm and ask for my room as they didn't bother to contact me on my phone and they certainly were not busy. When finally checked in, I was then offered a $50 credit to a 'restaurant' by the manager on duty. Unfortunately it was not explained to me that it was to be used on a Friday or Saturday night, between 8pm-12pm and did not include food. Not much use to a family! My package included the buffet breakfast and I thought this was quite a good deal the food certainly being above satisfactory. If breakfast was not included I would choose a nearby cafe or make the most of your apartment. (There is a supermarket within walking distance). The pool area looks fabulous and there is a choice of three pools and two spas. There are two waterslides. It is a great area for the kids.However, in the amount of time I have been here the two outdoor pools are freezing. I have never seen many adults use the pool. I think this is a great shame. The indoor pool on the other hand needs some air or at least a door left open or open windows. Its very stuffy. On the last day of my stay and having used the waterslide each day I was given a set of instructions to follow by the over zealous 'Tackleberry' water slide attendant who I watched the previous few days read a book near the indoor pool keeping watch. Great if you have young kids and its too cold to go into the pool, however as a middle age woman having someone yelling at you as you go down a waterslide because you are not holding your arms in the required position, I found this quite humourous not even worthy of a reply. Overall Sun City is not a bad place to stay. it does appear to be luck of the draw which room you will get as the majority are privately owned. The staff on shift just made a difference for me this time which was disappointing. Some experience across the road where the fish are would teach them some customer service where my Qld stay was nicely completed.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms are small, consider an alternative. Apartments are spacious, higher the better
5  Thank Rachel S
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed for five nights over Easter after landing a killer deal prior to Xmas. The two bedroom two bathroom apartment on the 23rd floor had sensational views out to sea, perfect for a few relaxing ones after the kids went to bed, and the included hot breakfasts made for a solid start to each day.
The pool and waterslides kept the kids busy and tired them out, and Wes the lifeguard was great - kept the hooning down, he was great with the littlies and ensured everyone was safe. Plus he was a top bloke as well.
The appliances were all top quality and there was plenty of room for the four of us.
A couple of points for improvement:
Furniture a bit dodgy - cheap, uncomfortable leatherette lounge, chintzy glass dining table, no stereo. Comfortable beds though!
The kitchen utensils were pretty sparse - no veggie peeler, knives as blunt as cardboard. Good quality utensils should be a given in a place like this!
The catering could have been better. Apart from the sit-down restaurant meals, we found the kids options a bit limited at the pool bar, and inflexible "Sorry, chef won't do a plain burger".
And to echo some of the earlier comments, if the hotel has Foxtel, why not offer a whole bunch of channels - it would cost no more and would make the place more family friendly. No Nick Jnr, Cartoon Network or Boomerang.
But overall - we'll be back!

Room Tip: Book early - plenty of deals on offer. Go the Ocean rooms - the place sounds noisy during the day wi...
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Great resort style hotel, we stayed in the one bedroom appartment on the 15th floor which had ocean & river views, the apartment had every thing you need, good size bedroom with walk inrobe, tv had foxtel but only sports channel (yuk) and one kids channel, Tv also in bedroom, cooking facilities.Plenty of underground parking (although this may be different in peak time) .. tip go to basement 2 heaps more parking. Only about 5-10 minute walk to town. King Tutts mini golf is just across the road as well a a good convenience store. Beach is not even a 5 min walk. There is also 2 water slides at this hotel as well a a little beach, Would I stay there again?? Yes definately.

Room Tip: I got a good deal with Mantra on Sale.
2  Thank Wendy G
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Very happy with our apartment heaps of room had fantastic views of the beach short walk to cavill st and the nite life kids love the pools and waterslides and beach 50mters away staff were very helpfull just a mean location if you have kids lots of things for them to do while you enjoy a cold one.only one thing if you are having a longer stay that could have been better it would have been good to have more towls with out having to pay more $$$ one each is not enough when you have kids swiming all day and showerling at nite.

Room Tip: two bed room spa was the bees nees beach faceing higher the better