“If you value hygiene DO NOT STAY HERE!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradise Resort Gold Coast

Paradise Resort Gold Coast
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Australia
“If you value hygiene DO NOT STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

We were booked to stay here for 4 nights in March 2014, once we arrived we were absolutely appalled by the conditions of this hotel.

We were met by the elevator in the underground carpark by bags full of rotting garbage, the elevator ride up was filth, the hallways stunk of dirty nappies and were covered in marks, the room door was covered in grubby fingerprints and it only got worse once we went inside.

Once we opened the door we were greeted by a stench of stale air and rotting wood, the door frames were covered in black marks, our 2 year old took one look at the floor and said "ewww yuck!"

After having flown into Brisbane from Thailand and driving into the Gold Coast, we knew our 2 year old would not handle moving accommodation again that night, so we went to Woolworthes and bought some disinfectant wipes and I set to cleaning the room on our return.

I am disgusted and mortified to say I actually cleaned faeces off of the toilet seat. That's right, there was POO on our toilet seat!

The coffee facilities were also absolutely disgusting, with coffee marks in the cups (which I was able to wipe out easily, so they clearly had not been washed properly) and the spoons had clearly not been washed at all.

That night we organised alternate accommodation and the following day we rang our travel agent and they cancelled our accommodation. We were informed that the resort was shocked that we were unhappy, as these rooms had "just been refurbished" -- I'd hate to imagine what these rooms were like beforehand if this is truly the case!

The kids facilities did look amazing, however the smell of chlorine was so intense it stunk out even the reception/lobby. I'd hate to imagine the damage it would have done to our sons skin, eyes and clothes.

Stay somewhere else. Go to the theme parks. Do yourself a favour and save the drama of having to find alternative accommodation after you arrive, because once you check in to this hotel you WILL want to leave.

6 Thank Krystal D
Chris N, Front Office Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Krystal D

Thank you for providing your feedback on your stay here at the resort. It is always disappointing to read such a negative experience. I personally inspected this room with the appropriate management as a result of your comments and would never allow a room to be available that was not suitable for our guests. Additionally, our chlorine levels are checked and recorded multiple times a day which i have confirmed to be within council guidelines.

In regards to the agent comments about this room being refurbished, that is not correct. We have Renovated 100 rooms which are a different room type and different pricing levels. All travel agents have this information and it is a shame that on this occasion this was not explained to you correctly. However we are continuing to improve our facilities and rooms this year.

I know we can do better as referenced in other reviews and i am sorry you won't be returning. I hope next time you travel to the Gold Coast you fine suitable accommodation for a great family holiday.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Sure, it's not 5 star but we didn't go there expecting it to be. Our 4 children had the time of their lives which meant we were all very happy!! There is definitely no such thing as "children should be seen and not heard" so if that's what you are after, stay elsewhere. Our children are 11,8,6&1. We had a superior interconnecting room in the Captains Quarters (3330/3332), it was very quiet and our deal included daily continental breakfast & 1 session of kids club per child per day. Perfect. We lounged around the pool all day partaking in whatever activities were going on then at 4pm the kids were breaking their necks to get to kids club for the evening. My husband and I then went to dinner each night, returning to collect them at 8pm when they were more than ready to collapse into an exhausted heap for the night. I can highly recommend Benihana @ The Marriott just up the street for teppanyaki & Matador in Surfers (under the Chevron) for paella. We also ate in the on-site restaurant and the scotch fillet was cooked to perfection. I can also totally recommend the in-room massage with Amber. Overall a great place to bring the kids.

Room Tip: Captains Quarters Superior Interconnecting perfect for family of 6. I'd definitely recommend lev...
Dear Emma M,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you all enjoyed yourselves and had such a great family holiday.

We hope to see you all again one day.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

The facilities are excellent ! This resort is totally catered for kids. My 4 and 5 had the best time - we didn't really need to leave the resort. We stayed in a king bunkhouse and the room was great. Separate area for kids with their own tv and Xbox. The kids club is brilliant and so well run. Huge thanks to Fran, Ben, Richard, Allanah and Sarah. Best family resort we've ever stayed at.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chris N, Front Office Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear ZoeKyte,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us. The King Bunk rooms are very popular, not only due to the features, but the generous size of the rooms for a larger family.

I will pass on your comments to Fran, Ben, Richard, Allanah and Sarah which I know they will appreciate as i am sure the manager will also be pleased to hear.

We look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We just returned from a holiday at Paradise Resort and loved every minute. It was our first family holiday and it didn't disappoint. There was so much to do!

Our kids (6, 4 & 1) loved the waterparks, pool & spa and had a go at ice skating (Richard was great with the kids here). We specifically chose an unrenovated room (Family Room) as we didn't want the bunk beds and although it was pretty simple, it was clean and catered well to our needs. We had requested a room away from the main road so it was also quite quiet and we all slept well. Loved the food and thought it was very reasonably priced.

There was only one small thing that we felt could be improved and that was the condition of the stroller we hired. It was a little dirty from a previous guest with dried food left on it. Perhaps these could be checked upon return? Although this was a very minor issue and if anything, more a reflection on the previous user (I know that we would've made sure it was clean from our usage upon return). We did appreciate being able to have the stroller early during the day while we waited to check in.

If we could give a tip it would be to not read too much into the negative reviews. We read quite a few before our holiday and it was a bit unsettling but we encountered none of the issues raised. We know that peoples experiences are all different but some of the negative comments seem a little petty and unjust.

Thank you Paradise Resort for a wonderful stay! We will definitely be saving our pennies for another holiday :)

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Chantelle A and Family,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your comments and will certainly follow up with the team in the resort shop to ensure that they check the strollers before hiring them out. We hope to see you all again soon and that the pennies quickly add up.
kind regards
David & The Team
Paradise Resort
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT!

-We got a no-smoking room, this did not however stop people smoking at the front of it and the smokers pit is at the bottom of a small flight of stairs in which the vapours drifts up and into the room.
- Service is poor. The first day here my daughters asked kindly for a piece of cake in which the shop keeper threw it onto the table in front of here and said to me $5.50.
- We arranged for our children to stay in the complementary care from 4-8pm. There was no receipt printer at the site to confirm our booking at the time. The next day when we took our children there they told us we booked them in for the different ages and it was booked out.
-TACKY/SMACKY/TACKY- This hotel looks like a glorified smack clinic.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank fibbz
Dear Fibbz,
Thank you for your review and comments. It is a shame that we were unable to meet your expectations, unfortunately we can find no record of you bringing your concerns to us at any time during your stay.
We would have most certainly made every effort to rectify them and relocate you to another area of the resort had we known that the smell from the smoking area was affecting you.
In relation to the kids club receipts when making the bookings our new technology automatically advises and sends an SMS confirming all details of bookings made to your phone hence there is no need for paper receipts.
The incident with the cake is certainly not a service standard we tolerate and will be followed up. Being a kid friendly resort we try very hard to ensure that we actively engage and acknowledge all children in a positive manner, so please accept our most sincere apologies for failing your child on this occasion.
Fibbz, we certainly acknowledge that we are not perfect and are always looking for opportunities to learn from our mistakes, however to compare us to a “glorified smack clinic”, purely for the incidences you have mentioned in your review do seem excessively harsh.
We hope that you find something more in keeping with your expectations on your next holiday.
Kind regards
David & the Team
Paradise Resort

Travelers are raving about these Surfers Paradise hotels

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Being small business owners, we don't get a lot of opportunities to take holidays, so our trip to the Gold Coast this year was a real treat. Our stay at Paradise Resort was such a delight that we are already planning our next visit!
Our kids (aged 8 & 9) absolutely loved every minute of it. And special thanks to Heather at Z4K. My very shy son wasn't sure about going to Kid's Club but by the end of the week he didn't want to leave! My hubby and I enjoyed some lovely dinner date nights - something which we haven't done in years!
The staff were wonderful, the food was sensational (and very reasonably priced), and the pool and water park were absolutely amazing!
Thank you so much, and we can't wait till we come back!

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear nessandwill,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us. I will pass on your comments to Heather and the team in the kids club which I know they will definitely appreciate.

We look forward to seeing you all again soon.
kind regards
David & The Team
Auckland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Where do I even start. This is the most miserable, depressing, tacky place I have ever had the misfortune of visiting. The only reason we booked here is it is supposed to be great for kids. Frankly our kid knows a dump when he sees it and was only too happy to leave. Stay somewhere decent and go on day trips to wet and wild!
We were booked for several nights but thank god only stayed for 1 and cancelled the rest; and this was 1 night too many. WOTIF were happy to refund our money and we booked at another place which is brilliant for our remaining 5 nights. Paradise however charged us an additional $200 cancellation fee which really grates with me but is not surprising given how awful the whole thing was. We paid extra to stay in the "superior; refurbished" captains quarter rooms. What a joke. The room was the minimal standard I would expect from anywhere and was zero value for money at $200 a night. The room was tiny and stank to high heaven of some sort of air freshener or carpet deodoriser masking god knows what which gave me a splitting headache and made me feel nauseous. The beds were uncomfortable. There was no storage. View of a road and a broken down truck. Tiny, tiny bathroom. Tiny, threadbare towels. Very noisy - you hear everything going on in the rooms around you. Even the endless passages taking you to your room are gross - a lurid pink and blue paint with more filthy carpet and a smell of used nappies everywhere. The pool area was also horrid the website does a great job of making it look appealing. Fake green carpet on the floors and walls. Cheap uncomfortable sun loungers. People drinking alcohol out of plastic cups everywhere from morning onwards. Only 1 actual pool which was very small and shallow and over-filled with people easily. So much chlorine it has melted the plastic printed logos / pics on the front of my child's swim top and our child's eyes were very, very red after a short time in the pool. Music blaring from speakers everywhere. The bistro there was extremely expensive for the level of food being sold. We got absolutely no sleep at all as if you turn the air con off the room over-heats within minutes and feels like there is no oxygen. When you switch it on it is extremely loud and as the room is so small it's literally right on you. Oh and to top it all off; when my husband got up during the night to unplug his cell-phone from the sinkless-bench which passes as a "coffee making facility" the surface had 4 cockroaches on it! There was no food or drink in the room and no coffee had been made. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I really think people need to be warned about this place as it wrecked our entire first day of holiday; we were exhausted for the second day due to no sleep; and we got stung the massive cancellation fee.
I can honestly say that people who enjoy staying here; must have absolutely no concept of what a true holiday; a gorgeous hotel; great service and beautiful surroundings can be like. Now we know where all the bogans go on holiday. They must do a great trade here in RTD's and Woodstock Bourbon. I anticipate some type of juvenile, retaliatory response to this by some or other manager in line with all their other churlish responses on here; and frankly I don't care as I won't waste my time reading it.

Room Tip: Room tip: Choose a room; any room; just make sure it's not at this hotel!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank JosieAkl
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear JosieAki,

Not all products meet everyone's expectations, and I am glad that you found accommodation more in keeping with your expectations.
I don't normally make a comment when someone takes the time to leave criticism whether constructive or not other than to thank them for their time.

I can assure you that we are well aware that we have faults, make mistakes and are not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, however we try very hard and work towards rectifying issues should we believe them to be fair and equitable to all parties should they be brought to our attention at the time.

However your feedback is not only scathing towards our product, which frankly does not deserve your rant, but also our guests, of which I can assure you are not all "Bogans". We have families from all walks of life who enjoy the resort for what it is, a mid market family resort full of young children offering a good product with a extensive range of services and experiences.

Whether we like it or not Trip advisor has its place in society as do many other social media sites which unfortunately doesn't always allow for two sides of a story.

It is a shame you chose to deal with your obvious anger at being charged a cancellation fee in such a manner.

regards