“If you want good service, FORGET THIS HOTEL !”

Mantra Legends Hotel
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Singapore
“If you want good service, FORGET THIS HOTEL !”
Reviewed October 15, 2008

The room and cleanliness was fine. Good location. However, service was extremely horrible. The staffs were rude and not helpful at all. Here are our unhappy experiences:-

1) Check In – It was great that we were allowed an early check-in at 10am. But, we had to go back down to the reception, not once but twice, to have the room keys cut again as they were not working. 3 days later, we were not able to get in to our room and had to get the keys cut again. From various reviews on the internet, it seems like this is a problem in this hotel.

2) Reception - We need advice on direction by bus to Pacific Fair, a shopping mall at Broadbeach. As there was no one at the Concierge, we thought we could just have a quick check with the reception since there was no one waiting to be served. The staff looked hard at us and rudely told us to wait for the Concierge. So, we waited for a good 15 minutes, still no one came back. And there, the reception staffs who were not serving anyone, were talking and laughing, ignoring our existence. We finally found out from the Concierge that all buses from the bus stop just outside the hotel go to the shopping mall. Why can’t the reception staff just tell us? It's only a less-than-a-minute direction advice.

3) Concierge - We need to book for a couple day tours during our stay. We seek for advice but were given a frustrated look by the staff-on-duty. No choice, we went for whatever that was available. We told the Concierge to confirm our bookings as our other tour transport arrived early than expected and we needed to go. The Concierge was not willing to let us go though he was on the phone and already taking down the confirmation details. In the end, the tour transport had to wait for us. Why are they so inflexible?

4) Check out – There was a dispute over the final bill as there were charges for the room pay-per-view movies. We were not even in the room during the hours when the videos were played. We were out on the day and night tours on those days and we had the receipts with us as evident. The reception refused to listen to us and told us that the Duty Manager was not willing to cancel them. We asked to see the Manager but the staff told that he was busy. Then, my husband overheard another staff telling her that the charges were to be taken out but instead the staff told us to stand aside so that she could serve another customer who was waiting behind us. She told us that she was not going to waste time waiting for our dispute to be resolved. What waste time?! We insisted that she completed our check-out procedure. Unwillingly, she took out the ‘ready-printed’ bill with the charges already cancelled for our signature. Surprise! Surprise! It seems that she was trying to make things difficult for us by trying to make us wait even when though the charges were already cancelled for whatever reason. So, is it a mis-billing or a problem with their billing system? It puzzled us. They did not even check our receipts.

No way are we going back to the hotel again. It's not cheap and the service provided does not fit the rating of a 4-stars hotel. Definitely we will not recommend to anyone!!!

• Liked — View from the room (you pay for it, of course !)
  • Disliked — Service of staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Dilim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Stayed in this hotel for a 3 nights over a weekend with my partner in a standard twin room on level 18 we got a good deal for on an airline website.

The hotel certainly isn't 5 star - but it was comfortable, had a view of the water,and I can't complain for the very reasonable price we paid. The walls and carpets are showing a bit of wear and tear, but I noticed a sign in the lift indicating that they are refurbishing rooms at the moment to address this...

Room was spacious. Beds a little hard - but comfortable. TV and amenties were fine. The room certainly wasn't as nice as the corner Studio room with a King Bd that my brother stayed in for just one night, and paid $30 less for than we did...I guess check what room type you are paying for and shop around....

Location is great, and we enjoyed the cocktails in the hotel bar. there are many restaurants near by and we enjoyed a meal in the Chinese Seafood restaurant that is near the hotel entance on the Blvd.

In room Internet acccess is expensive - so despite bringing a laptop with us - we didnt' bother using it. They do have internet kiosks downstairs in the lobby - but for $5 for half an hour, you are better finding a net cafe in surfers....

the only main issue I encountered, once again with staff as per other reviews, was that we decided in advance to stay an extra night and had to make a 2nd booking throught same website we orginally booked through. On arrival at check-in I advised we had 2 reference numbers, but we wished to stay in the same room for the 3 nights. I was told this wasn't a problem and they linked the bookings together.

My brother checked out Sunday morning and took the opportunity to leave his car in the hotel carpark linked to our room number for the remainder of the day. When asking about this - the staff insisted to him that we were checking out on Sunday as well, not monday, and were going to charge us the $40 an hour for overstaying beyond check-out time of 10:00am...It took them 10mins to work out that we had paid for an extra night - but were a little disgruntled as they said we should have been moved to another room, despite assuring me that this wouldn't happen when we checked in....We didn't have to move in the end - but I wonder what would have happened if my brother hadn't have brought up our booking with them...

Unsure if I'd stay again....it was good for the price - but I'm sure I could have found somewhere better....

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank msmegmog
coffs harbour
Reviewed October 4, 2008

Checking in to the mantra hotel we were booked into a room that was dirty. We got our key and went to the room only to find that there was luggage in the room and it was an un cleaned room. We went back down and were put into the studio room one king size bed for 3 people! And we were told that they would bring a roll away up free of charge. This did not happen and we had to chase up the roll away bed and an extra towel the next day! Also when going to our studio room the keys we were given did not work and we had to have them re cut. No compensation for our inconvenience! The next night the 3 of us went out to party. Returning to the hotel separately. Only 2 people had keys. And only one name being put onto the booking the first key would not let us into the hotel and we had to get reception to let the 2 of us in. and checked we were staying at the hotel showing id. My name being on the booking I had to sign her in. then I went to a friend’s house. My other friend returned to the hotel later that night and was locked out of the hotel as she did not have a key. The reception staff was very rude and would not let her into the hotel and she had to wait on the street for over an hour as she could not contact our friend who was asleep in the room. My friend then convinced them to let her go and knock on the door of the room. Being then let into the room. This mix up happened as when we booked into the hotel the 3 of us they only put one name on the booking. Very disappointing stay!

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank smiley_kylie123
Malaysia
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I was in charge of planning my family holiday so I surveyed around Gold Coast and called different hotels within Surfers Paradise area - I had stayed in Mantra Legends the year before with some friends and thought it might be expensive, but surprisingly it had one of the cheapest rates among all the hotels I called and a 4-star rating.

When we arrived the staff was really friendly and they were always very helpful. We had a rental car and they helped us print out maps from Google. We also loved the facilities; there's a pay phone in the lobby area so I could make my long distance calls without charging it to my room. They also had a business centre with computers but we used our laptop and bought internet credit with our credit card via the wireless networks that were available, signal strength was good in our room. The hotel also has a decent gym with a nice pool. Our room was nice, we paid $AUD162 for a triple share (but the room had two double beds so 4 people could've fit), and an additional AUD$5 a day to use the hotel car park. (Which is the cheapest car park rate I encountered in Australia!) And they sell bottled drinking water for AUD$2.

It's such a nice location, in the heart of Surfers Paradise and it was easy to find as we just needed to drive along the esplanade. We love how we could drive up to the lobby entrance (unlike some CBD hotels) and the car park entrance was convenient. We never ate in the hotel as it was walking distance to shops and eateries, and there was a mini-supermarket one street down.

The room was big and lovely and had everything we needed. It made our stay very nice and our memories of Gold Coast memorable. We also had a lovely view of the coast line and of Surfers Paradise from our balcony. The only bummer about Gold Coast was it rained alot while we were there!

• Liked — Location, view and nice staff
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank doublezeezee
Melbourne
Reviewed September 8, 2008

I've just returned from a conference/holidays trip in Gold Coast. I stayed at Conrad as part of a conference package at the start of my trip and then moved to Mantra Legends. While I didn't expect the same quality room and services, I found the bed to be quite poor quality and the sheets look and feel a bit worn out. I paid $165 a night for 2 nights + 1 night free so I can't expect much for the price, I guess.

Check in was easy. My boyfriend could check in without me even I was the one who booked the room and it's under my name only. He could get the room at 12pm even I called before hand and they said I couldn't check in before 2 pm.

I requested a non smoking room on a high floor but got a room on level 4; however, there was no problem with traffic or night noise. The room was cleaned up everyday. The bed was made. The towels were changed. Kitchenwares were cleaned up. The second key card we got and left in room to keep A/C on was removed and taken away. The curtains were a touch too small. I had to properly arrange to stop morning light getting in the room so I could get a good sleep.

Kitchenette is a good idea but I was so scared that I would kick off the smoke alarm and had to open the door to make sure that I wouldn't get into trouble with $8XX fine that I read about on the hotel info pack.

Checking out was easy, we didn't have any mini bar so just dropped off the key card and walked off.

• Liked — Price and Location but you get better deal in Thailand!
  • Disliked — Bed and curtains
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iamsiam
Singapore
Reviewed September 2, 2008

This was a good hotel in the web and we thought the same quality service could be experienced when we arrived in Gold Coast. However, we were astonished by the lack of customer service and personal touch given by their staff. The day we stepped into the hotel was a mistake as we could not be arranged for early check in i.e before 12nn. The receptionist was rude and not helpful to find any coins for coin-operated washing machine in the hotel. So is the washing machine for use? The worse is yet over. We tried to cook a light breakfast using the kitchenware presented in our room and the alarm went off with a small amount of smoke. In the end, we were made to pay a hefty sum for this activation. Indeed, we did sign an indemnity form when we checked in but we were not aware that the alarm was so sensitive which cost us the bill of a five star hotel stay. And apparently no one is to be blamed for this mishap but the least that the hotel staff could do for tourist is by going an extra mile to find ways to mitigate any unhappiness; nothing was done to seek fairness for hotel residents. In contrast, the portrayal of the public bus captain was far better than the staff in this hotel.

Overall, as an advice, it is certainly a ‘live in risk it’ experience.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GreenFroggie
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We booked to stay at the Legends Hotel for the weekend for my birthday. We stayed for the 2nights at Legends. After reading the reviews we were getting worried but wasn't going to jump in conclusions.

When we checked in Friday afternoon we had a minor set back, we booked for a studio room & end up having the twin room. I hurried back to reception to complain. After we were given the room as expected. Customer service was great, very polite & helpful.

We enjoyed our stay but balcony is really tiny. Gym, steam room & sauna was great, better than few places we stayed at.

Fable Restaurant at Legends Hotel was yummy, we had a seafood buffet dinner. Pretty sad that we didn't have a chance to eat breakfast buffet.

Would come back again..

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Disliked — Small Balcony
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple