“Not 4 or 4.5 Star, No Free car parking as stated on booking”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Queensland, Australia
“Not 4 or 4.5 Star, No Free car parking as stated on booking”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Beware booked and stayed at Mantra Legends Hotel Gold Coast 16th and 17th of August.

Was looking forward to the experience of a four star hotel as photos show an elegant neat hotel with a warm atmosphere.

Arrived was disappointed when told no free parking available as there were no spaces, but could pay for VIP parking which we did and was told to park anywhere in the car park available. Unfortunately even paying for parking and holding a VIP parking card does not guarantee parking. As we found out on saturday when car park was full, speaking to the counter staff they did offer double parking as an option not what i would deem as VIP parking.

Room was a bit of disappointment not anywhere near the 4 or 4.5 star rating. Advertised as refurbished the room has had some work but still requires more when you notice the swollen door on the bathroom mould on the bath sealant. Some parts of the room also look tired and old not like other hotels i have stayed that have advertised refurbished rooms.

No information was received from the hotel in regards to the road works, and being from out of town found it difficult to find the entry to the hotel.

When counter staff were asked how the hotel star rating was evaluated, self rated or by tourism we were told it was Body Corporate rated and not by just the rooms but also the facilities GYM, bar etc. This indicated to me previous visitors to the hotel had commented on the rooms as i did not mention the room but asked how the star rating had been evaluated.

Unfortunately we would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liza D
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hi Liza D

Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

On-site parking does incur a nightly parking charge, this is detailed on our websites and at no time during our booking process do we advise or advertise this as free parking. Should parking be available then a carpark access key is provided on arrival however we do not have different designations of parking such as VIP. I am sorry for any miscommunication that may have happened in this regard.

Please also accept my apologies that the room has fallen short of your expectations. You have enquired regarding star ratings - this is an assessment based on the range of services and all aspects of the Hotel including food & beverage facilities, pool, gym, steam room, sauna as well as the accommodation room itself.

Thanks again for your feedback although I am genuinely sorry that you choose not to return the Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on vince.king@mantra.com.au should you have any queries or if I can be of service in any way.

Mantra Legends Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Korean first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 16, 2013

After a wonderful stay at Hamilton Island, this hotel was a big let down but to be fair that was all I should have expected from the amount I spent on this. This hotel has good location on surfers paradise with nice market and night life locations nearby.

Rooms were very small with hardly any place to move around and were funnily shaped and beds having reasonable comfort. Service is slow but ok and staff reasonably helpful.

Breakfast was good. Pool had visual appeal but not good for a dip. All in all, a reasonably priced hotel with no great memories.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hi sanjaybansal

Thanks for choosing to stay with us recently and for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I regret that we were not able to create a better experience although I am glad that you found the Hotel to be good value and the location proved convenient for your time in Surfers Paradise.

Thanks again for your comments.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Me and a relative stayed here as part of a holiday package from NZ for a few nights in August. Staff were lovely, no complaints about them but the room itself - we were not impressed for the 4.5 stars it claims to be (which we were expecting to be quite nice). It was 'OK' but the room was pretty small and had no sofa, we asked to get upgraded to a bigger room but were told all the rooms are the same sizes and not much different from a standard room. In order to relax and read a book, we had to retreat downstairs to the bar area which is full of sofas - probably a clever tactic to get you there to spend your money.
Beds were quite hard so didn't sleep very well during our whole stay. The restaurant downstairs was really convenient and we went there twice for dinner, was quite nice.
Sadly though if I had to rate my whole experience at this motel, I would not recommend to anybody who like us, were on holiday and were wanting quite a nice place to stay. On an upside, I would stay here if I was just passing through and needed a bed to sleep in rather than a lovely overall experience. I hate to be harsh but this is the truth!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hi AA

I appreciate your comments and thanks for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit from New Zealand.

As more of a Hotel style product, we do not offer the space of full service apartment style properties so we unfortunately do not have the option of sofas in our rooms. I very much regret that you did not find the room to be as comfortable as you hoped.

Thanks for your feedback about the great service from my team and I am so pleased that your meals in the restaurant proved enjoyable.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

Noosa, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. I've stayed at about 10 different hotels in the area and this is by far my favourite! The staff are so professional and will help you with any request. The rooms are lovely, and the pool is absolutely gorgeous! The location is amazing too - so close to Cavil Ave and the beach. I love staying right in the heart of Surfers Paradise though - not everyone does. I recommend this hotel to friends and colleagues, and have always been thanked for the recommendation when they return home.

• Stayed August 2013
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hi Becky B

I am thrilled that you love staying with us and please accept my thanks for recommending us to friends and colleagues - I am glad that we have lived up to your recommendation when they have chosen to stay with us.

I hope to welcome you back some time soon and thanks again for sharing your feedback.

Dunedin,New Zealand
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The facilities overall were passable only. But, the pillows were appalling. Too hard and inflexible. I mentioned it to the housemaid and politely told her that when travelling good quality pillows are very important. She left us a note stating that they couldn't do anything about it. Dear me. We spoke to other guests and they were of the same opinion. Poor quality, uncomfortable pillows. After the first (sleepless) night we filled out the guests' questionnaire. We mentioned the pillows, but still nothing was done about it. We would not stay there again.
On a brighter note, Craig on the front desk was marvellous. Helpful and professional.

Room Tip: No room in any premises is good if guests can not get a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hi malcolm m

Thanks for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor although sorry that the pillows were not to your liking and more was not done to provide a different pillow option during your stay. I have followed through with my Housekeeping Manager to ensure we have a range of pillows available on request should we receive an enquiry such as yours seeking an alternative to the standard pillow that is placed in rooms.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback and for selecting Mantra Legends Hotel during your recent visit.

Sydney
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived early and was happy that we could access the room at 12pm and stoked they upgraded us to a deluxe room. Unfortunately there was nothing Deluxe about the room. We were in a twin bedded room. They were both rock hard and one of the beds slats was broken so it made a lot of sound and also was uneven. The aircon did not work and we called reception twice until someone came an hour and half later. We found a girl at reception very rude towards other guests/ourselves and also to her colleagues. Both myself and my friend work in 5 star hotels, I know I definitely cannot compare 5 star standard to the Mantra Legends but her attitude was not acceptable - this was not just on one day, it was during the whole weekend. I believe her name was Chantel.. or something along those lines (morning shift Fri/Sat). We were having cocktails in the bar on Friday/Saturday night, the gentleman serving us was very nice and quick. We had a large group and I think we kept him rather busy but he was great. Unfortunately next to us at the bar was a group of intoxicated people, one which actually spewed all over the bar top and on the barman’s shoes. He was rushed to the bathroom but then came and sat back down like nothing happened.. (bizarre). Oh and $3 non refundable for a pool town, bit strange. Parking was full and had to park elsewhere but I read previous reviews and was expecting that to happen.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tyler C
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Hi TC 1206

Thanks for your post and for choosing to stay with us recently - I really appreciate your feedback.

Whilst I am pleased we were able to accommodate your early arrival time and provide an upgrade, please do accept my apologies that one of the beds was not 100% and that you encountered poor service from one of the Reception team.

Thanks for your understanding with regard to the limited parking we have available and I am pleased that our barman was still able to make a positive impression despite the particularly busy evening in the bar.

I hope to have the opportunity to again accommodate you when you are next visiting the Gold Coast.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 4, 2013

In summary, my partner (P) loved it and I (Me) hated it. Why?

(P) - Loved view from the bedroom's floor to ceiling windows
(Me) - Hated that I paid to upgrade to get a beach view with balcony and had the view but the balcony was tucked on the side of the building and not facing the beach!

(P) - Loved the bed
(Me)- Hated the bed as it was hard and not a true king, just 2 beds pushed together

(P) - Loved the pool
(Me) - Hated that there was no privacy and it felt like you were swimming in a water feature and there was no spa.

Other negatives
- Got there at 2pm and there was no parking available. Had to park in a shopping centre car park 2 blocks away and it still cost $15.
- Ordered the $85 hot & cold seafood platter for 2: Nearly uneatable. The seafood had clearly been frozen and was so far from fresh it was tasteless and the prawns could barely be peeled.

Positive
- The location. Close enough but far enough away you weren't woken up by the late night noise.
- Waking up in bed and looking over the Gold Coast was pretty special.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hi FoodKarma

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for providing honest feedback from both yourself and your partner regarding "loves and hates". We strive to ensure everyone enjoys their time with us so I am sorry we did not achieve this during your recent time spent on the Gold Coast. I have followed through with my Executive Chef regarding the quality of platter you received to ensure that a higher standard is consistently maintained.

Thanks again for your balanced comments and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel at some point in the future.