“Not what we were expecting!”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
adelaide
“Not what we were expecting!”
Reviewed March 19, 2011

My partner and I celebrated an anniversary by a trip to the gold coast choosing to stay here in the spa suite. Advertised on the hotel site as the bedroom was a seperate room with closed doors. and a lovely spa bathroom.

When we arrived a wonderful staff member checked us in. We had the top floor room with ocean view. When we got into our room, there was no seperate bedroom, was cramped and the bathroom was the nicest part. We looked on the fire escape sheet and noticed the other rooms were like the site said. We asked the receptionist about possibly moving and she told us no chance and all rooms were the same. Unimpressed, we left it as that. Two days later we walked past an open room only to notice a much larger room and nicer furniture!

one morning we ordered room service breakfast, one big breaky and one continental. first brought it up without the fruit and the danishes. rang and complained. only to be brought up the fruit, upon further complains I finally recieved our danishes, not impressed when we paid $50 for the breakfasts. & a rude and annoyed staff member didnt make it any better.

We had bottles of drinks and a few bits of rubbish in the bin, 3 days these were not taken away, nor were the bins emptied. Room seemed neglected and not serviced.

All in all, the holiday was a little tarnished by the hotels service and the false advertising of the room. Considering we paid over $1,200 for under a weeks stay and got this service and room that was falsely advertised, we will not be staying there again!

1 Thank aylac
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

It disappoints me to learn that you encountered a number of issues during your stay and please accept my apologies that you encountered some shortcomings during your time with us. To assist me further in investigating these matters, I invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more detail and then I can address these issues accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you.

Ph: (07) 5588 7888
Email: vince.king@mantra.com.au

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Korean first
Queensland
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We received a $95 per room per night deal including breakfast & thought this to be a great deal.
Our double room was small, clean & adequate.
The pool was lovely (there is no heated spa).
Parking will cost you an additional $17 per night.
Breakfast buffet was very nice - especially the scrambled eggs.
Walking distance to any type of food imaginable.
An easy walk (skip) to Surfers Beach & Mall & Q1.
If you have kids drive down along the beach road (near Philip St & Karawa Surf Life Saving Club) to Broadbeach where they have a fully enclosed large play area for the kids & also another open park with peddle monorails etc a short walk down from the fenced area. You could spend hours there (also has bbq's).
We enjoyed our stay. Thanks Legends!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience with us. I am glad that you found the hotel good value and that you enjoyed your time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed February 28, 2011

had a fantastic stay nice staff, clean rooms, wonderful service all over would stay again and recomend to anyone. we got a great rate on wotif and was worth every penny spent. loved it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2011

My family stayed at the Mantra Legends for 3 nights in December 2010. The location was great - it was only a 5-minute walk to either the beach or Cavill Avenue. The lobby, bar and pool area of the hotel were also great. Our room, however, was quite a disappointment. I don't feel it was good value at all for what we got, especially since the hotel is meant to be of a 4.5-star standard and is priced as such. As you can see from the photos, there were unsightly iron burn marks on the carpet, quite a bit of the paint on the walls and ceiling was dirty/cracking, and parts of the walls were even broken. Also, we found the air-conditioning system in our room to be quite poor. While we enjoyed our stay and the hotel staff were courteous and helpful, we did not expect to experience such flaws in our hotel room for the price or standard.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thanks for posting your feedback on-line following your stay in December. I am sorry that you were dissappointed in some maintenance aspects of your room - the Hotel is going through an ongoing program of updating many of it's accommodation rooms to a Deluxe room category so my apologies that we did not meet your expectations in this regard.

Thank you for the postive feedback regarding the high standard of service that the team provided and I am pleased that the location proved ideal.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel some time soon.

Melbourne
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Stayed for a long weekend. Foyer of the hotel was lovely, unfortunately the rooms weren't as nice. Adequate for what we wanted however the bathrooms could do with a lot of attention. Staff were friendly and helpful, pool area was ok, not enough lounges for the size of the hotel. The location is the highlight, close to the beach and far enough away from Cavill Avenue.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback - I am glad that you found the location of the Hotel convenient and that the service from our team was friendly. We are continuing to receive investment in refurbishing our accommodation rooms and I am sorry that the bathroom in your room was not at the standard you had noted throughout other areas of the Hotel.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your feedback and I hope I have the chance to welcome you back to the Hotel some time soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2011

The hotel is in a good location just a couple of blocks south of Cavill ave. 2 block walk to Q1. we booked as a mystery hotel online. the lobby, pool, bar and reception areas are nice and well laid out. rooms were a bit of a let down compared to lobby. adequately sized and with balcony - beds were a little on the hard side for us though. we were allowed to check in early at 12pm which was good. there is a late checkout till 5pm on day of departure offer for $30 which we were going to take up but wasn't available for our room as a tour group was arriving. luggage storage was provided though and was an efficient process. our room had a balcony as i think most (if not all) do? ours was facing north but you could see the beach out the corner. balconies facing west would be hot in the afternoon as the sun streams in that way. the air con in the room also didn't cool it down that much even on the lowest setting. overall though given the location this hotel is well worth considering at $99 a night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
I do appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I was happy to read that you were able to check into your room a little earlier than our normal check-in time, that the good location was convenient and that the Hotel provided you with good value overall. Please do accept my apologies though that you found the bed a little firm and the air conditioning did not cool the room significantly. I will follow through to ensure that the air conditioning unit is checked to ensure it is cooling to it's usual effectiveness.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope I have the opportunity of accommodating you again when you are next on the Gold Coast.

Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed at Mantra Legends Hotel on my own between 15th & 20th January 2011 and must say that despite the negative comments i am seeing below - i couldn't really fault the hotel or the hotel staff. I found reception to be very friendly and accommodating with my requests and my room was serviced daily during the middle of the day (i.e. not at 9am as one person mentioned on here). I would go back there again on the basis that i received the same service as i did on my recent stay.

Whilst i agree that perhaps parts of the building externally are tiring and require renovation to brighten the place up a bit - it wasn't anything that bothered me or affected me enough to find it a negative experience. If i have to find something - perhaps it would be that the balcony walls could be hosed down and scrubbed a little?

Just like any hotel you are staying in, you need to take it with an open mind.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found the team friendly and accommodating. I look forward to welcoming you back again some time soon.