“One word "FUNKY"”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Well booking last minute and getting a decent deal, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect as I hadn’t been there since the renovations. Well how times have changed. This Hotel has become a funky top class hotel which puts a lot of the competition to shame. Check in was very simple and the rooms are fantastic with so many little touches that come together to create a pleasurable stay. I’m sure I would be returning in the near future and it’s a nice change to find a quality hotel on the gold coast.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Colegate85
Write a ReviewReviews (2,845)

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Beat accommodation on the Gold Coast. Outstanding service, amazing rooms and the food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The food at Bazaar is AHHH MAZING!!!! we got ready for our wedding here and the service from all staff was so incredible. They helped all our hair and makeup ladies carry their gear up to our rooms and allowed them to park in the hotel parking lot free of charge. We will definitely be regulars here at this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Fantastic hotel with excellent service. We left the hotel once and we didn't even need to. We made full use of the pool, the spa pool, Sting Rays Bar, Bazaar restaurant for breakfast and dinner! It was a fantastic weekend away with the girls and the staff went above and beyond to help us out. Make sure to take advantage of the package - excellent value!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I stayed here for a conference, on the surface a nice hotel, but the service was very average. room service took bathmat and hand towels and didn't replace them; In Room dinning didn't deliver had to phone again, admittedly they waived the charge for the food.
The Breakfast was good, although like most Aussie Hotels expensive.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Monfrique, Guest Relations Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Hi RPT-35,

Thanks for the feedback, we will be sure to pass on your comments. We aim to continually improve our service and hope your next stay with us is deserving of 5/5.

Regards,
Monique
Guest Relations

Reviewed May 18, 2014

After reading all the rave reviews (which I now think are fraudulent), my wife booked us the suite (best room) for two nights for our wedding anniversary. After staying in perhaps a dozen different hotels, I'd say this was the most expensive disappointment I've stayed at. Smaller rooms than the (Cheaper) Sheraton Mirage and without a spa!

We booked nearly 6 months in advance and my wife advised the lady via email (online booking) that it was our 4th wedding anniversary. We were promised a high-level room with ocean views and sparkling wine on arrival.

At check-in, we were not given any sort of directions as to how to get to our room (nor are there any signs to advise you of where to go to get to the separate lifts for the rooms from the car park lifts), we get to our 6th floor 'suite', which is merely a bedroom with a small lounge room. Upon opening the door the loud sound of the exhaust fan from the (awesome) Bazaar restaurant was pathetic - seriously QT, I paid over $700 for two nights, fix your damned fan!

I called down to reception and requested a move as I wouldn't be able to sleep with the amount of noise, let alone the written promise of a 'high-level' room. The receptionist who checked us in promised to organise something with a room being cleaned and advised for us to sit tight, she'll get back to us about the carpet drying and it should be before the cleaners finished (at 5pm - it was just 3pm). After sitting about, being careful not to disturb the room (about 2 minutes to 5) we get a call saying the room is ready, which is great. A young staffer came and relocated us to the 20th floor - which we were very happy about. The suite however, was identical, with cheap mirrors, a somewhat nice bathroom and a minibar so small, you couldn't even chill your long-life milk.

We ate at both the Teppanyaki and Bazaar restaurants and both of these were the main attraction, with Bazaar being more-so. I would have prefered to pay similar money and stay at (the similarly pretentious but with infinitely more trained and helpful staff) Palazzo Versace and eat at Bazaar.

We also visited the SpaQ, which was a disaster. My wife had her eyebrows tinted and an eyebrow wax, from which she received BURNS. She also found out about a 'buy-2-get-1-free' deal at the spa only an hour after we visited (viewing the Spa's website), we tried calling to get in on this deal on the day ,as it was not offered by staff, even though she purchased two items (better customer service from McDonalds) but no answer.

Upon visiting the next morning after breakfast we were received with lackluster customer service and a mere 'I'll tell her [the waxer]' about the BURN to my wife's face. We were also told we were not able to receive a free item because the 'system had already balanced the day before' and that she can't refund and recreate an order to give my wife a free item - which is absurd, as my employment is working with Point Of Sale systems and without such a function she would never be able to refund any items - which is against consumer laws in Australia. Simply a joke.

We left a little dazed by the stupidity and without wanting to push it further, after all, we had just exclaimed that we were given poor customer service, left with a possible permanent facial scar and met with mere indifference and weren't even offered a product for free? I would have fired the staff member on the spot if I was the manager, even if out of fear of litigation alone! Gobsmacked.

Upon checkout we were not asked to confirm if we had left the car park, nor were we given a card to leave, only to recall we needed a pass to leave once we have driven to the gate. I was forced to reverse and find a park. I found and asked a concierge about how I was able to exit, upon which the concierge chastised ME about not getting a car park pass to leave! Again, gobsmacked and shocked that the customer was to blame! Those silly customers with all their money paying wages. We were also charged for a soft drink (that was left in the mini-bar by mistake) we purchased elsewhere. The brand isn't even stocked in the mini-bar by the hotel! That's a new one for us!!

Sadly, the QT hotel reminds me of one of those cheap clothes stores frequented by teenagers. On the outside the fitout seems nice, inviting, beachy and funky. Upon closer inspection the cracks, pathetic staff training and enthusiasm are only held together by the decent amenities and restaurants.

As I previously mentioned, the Palazzo is a quick cab-ride (for Bazaar) and rooms can be had (look around!) for similar prices and are a class above this 3.5 star hotel with a fancy foyer.

Room Tip: If you're forced at gun-point to book at this hotel, get the highest room you can or perhaps an...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NickLeash

Hello NickLeash,

That's quite a claim you've made there in the title of your review - I can assure you TripAdvisor does not allow suspicious reviews to be posted and they are quite vigilant in ensuring all reviews are in fact genuine. I think the sheer volume of fantastic reviews speak for themselves.
None the less, we have taken your comments on board. It sounds like QT Gold Coast simply wasn't your cup of tea, which we can appreciate.

We hope you enjoyed your trip to the beautiful Gold Coast anyway.
Kind Regards,
Monique

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I travel constantly and rarely really LOVE somewhere. I am also someone generally immune to marketing but really, I love this place so much I want to actually buy all the fun stuff in the room. These guys are geniuses..... the staff are extraordinary - thoughtful and nice, food is fabulous, decor funky and fun. Just feels great here, generous. Softest clean blanket in the cupboard, softest bed, biggest wide pillow..... and free lemonade... ie HOMEMADE lemonade that you can play with and make yourself in your room or in the foyer.

This place is fun, lovely, special. Much as I generally hate the Gold Coast I want to come back.

Room Tip: ocean view rooms on the higher floors are amazing
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Tonipow
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed at QT for Easter (3 night package including breakfast everyday and dinner one night in the Bazaar) but have stayed here on three other occasions. There was no increase in price or surcharge for Easter. We absolutely love this place, so funky and cool for Surfers Paradise. The Bazaar is the best buffett you will ever experience, the food is interesting, enticing and exotic. It is a must for your stay. The rooms are always clean, well maintained and of a high standard. The only negative I can say is that the service around the pool area was disappointing. Nothing else was open on Good Friday, they had a captive audience but there was no staff in sight to order drinks or food. They could have made a fortune if they only had a few staff going around. The pool food is of high quality but you have to go to the main bar to order and there was only one staff memeber taking orders and trying to make cocktails at the same time. Everyone was grumbling about it. Pool chairs were few and far between, would have been good to see some more of them in peak times. I will continue to go back to QT and hope others try it,

Room Tip: There are two types of rooms, ocean view and hinterland view, both are excellent, exactly the same i...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple