“Amazing, Stylish and Professional” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Orange County, California
“Amazing, Stylish and Professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed at QT back in October and it certainly lived up to the high expectations I already had of the property and the QT brand.
From when the very trendy Valet opened my door and the cute receptionist checked me in to the elderly gentlemen coming to my room with Ice to make freshly squeezed lemonade to the terrific service provided by everyone from the concierge team, staff in the bar and restaurant to the GM Andy who was very friendly the hotel ticked all the boxes and more.
I stayed there for a business trip though felt like it was a leisurely getaway. Even got to enjoy some great mexican cruisine and cocktails by the pool.
Highly recommend the hotel to all markets. Also great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

When we walked into QT's lobby, I was delighted to find freshly squeezed lemonade and iced tea awaiting guests on arrival. I loved the chic and friendly atmosphere of the reception and the lush lawn area. Staff were friendly and we loved the complimentary wine. Rooms were quirky and cute! The thongs and crochet bag added a comforting touch along with the oversized bathrobes. The lemonade stand was my favourite part of our room aside from our cushy king bed! DIY freshly squeezed Lemonade is such a fun and unique concept that defines QT's branding- I just wish I had time to make some! Everything was great- however we were expecting complimentary tooth brushes and upon asking a staff member, we did not receive a follow up reply. We would have loved to dine at Bazaar during our weekend stay, however we were unaware of the essential bookings. Perhaps priority could be made for patrons of QT? That would make the all round experience perfect! Thank you for your service and hospitality. QT definitely shows how branding is really a company's best asset.

Room Tip: The rooms with the king bed make for a comfortable stay.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

You know you're in for a nasty surprise if a wanna be upscale hotel like the QT Gold Coast has no money left for a few buckets of color to turn that ugly grey hotel into something a bit nicer! The inside was at least renovated, you can tell that some people stayed a lot at hotels of the W brand but of course didn't want to spend the money which would be needed to make it proper. As a result, the color combinations are really tasteless (the hallway carpets caused you eye cancer) and they use a lot of cheap plastic for all their furniture etc. The also stopped short from renovating everything, the balconies including balcony doors were unchanged from the old "GC International" hotel (you even had the old logo still on the balcony doors!) as well as the entire pool area which therefore looked absolutely shocking. The worst about the experience, however, was the sleep quality: The aircons were shut to a level that didn't really cool down the room properly, most likely to save on electricity. Both myself and some of the others I was traveling complained about it but the response was "If it already is on the highest setting, than that's the lowest the temperature will go, after all we are in Queensland!" Proper customer service looks different! To make things worse, the mattresses were the worst I've ever experienced, so super soft and the duna etc filled with cheap plastic that you were constantly sweating- I was by myself, I can only imagine how bad that would be with two people in that King bed! At least I managed to ask for a feather filled pillow but that was only of little help. There were also some of my hotel pet hates present: Rip off wifi fees, a desk with no accessible electricity plug so that you needed to shove away the heavy furniture in order to plug in your laptop and a tiny bathroom which is obviously the result of this not being a new property but just a refurbished old hotel. The funniest was a false fire alarm going off in the mid of the day- two stories went all the way down the fire stairs and when we got back to the lobby, none of the staff knew what had happened- no apology, no explanations, nothing. I don't even want to think about how badly that staff would handle a real serious emergency!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sydneyberlin
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hi sydneyberlin,

Awful review! Thanks for letting us know, we appreciate it.

Sas
QT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I am a massive fan of the Blackman in Melbourne and seek the QT because they are in the same group. QT is amazing. The beds are the most confortable bed s ever, we want to buy them. The food in Baazar is completely a foodgasim. The coffee from Fixx is the only good coffee in the Gold Coast.

The staff was 95% there. The concierge took care of everything and nothing was too hard. Alex organised anything we wanted from private cars, to bikes, to bookings and towels. The staff in the bar, coffee shop and food gallery were very friendly, happy to talk and make recommendations and were very knowledgable. Unfortunately the same could not be said of the front-desk, on check-in they were distracted with watching the girls walking into the bar, were unhelpful and didn't even tell us the room number. When we ran out of shampoo, and were checking out we were made to feel like we were a burden on them. I really do not understand why the first and last staff you typically deal with were so poor at customer service especially when all of the rest of the hotel staff were so great.

The food, coffee and bar are destinations in the Gold Coast. The Baazar food gallery is a buffet like no other, not that there is many hatted buffets. The chefs cook for you right in front of you as you go through the different stations. You must treat yourself to both dinner and breakfast.

Room Tip: The mountain view room we had, had views of both the ocean and mountains
1 Thank Dale H
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The QT hotel brand is gaining a good reputation and i was really looking forward to the stay. My first impressions were great, the foyer is wonderfully decked out, and no doubt they spend a lot of time working on the style they wanted to create with it.

Unfortunately the service let it down. It took a while for me to even be acknowledged by staff. At the time there seemed to be a large conference on as well as some sort of fashion shoot with filming in one corner. I patiently waited for about 10-15 minutes before being greeted at check in.

The concierge experience was interesting and I think set the mood for the rest of my stay. She came across not so much rude, but generally not interested that I had luggage and my room wasnt ready. I sat down in the foyer with my luggage and then watched her take care of other customers luggage and then flirt with some young guys, so clearly it was just me! This really seemed to be the mood of the service. On check out it was a similar story with surly staff, a smile and "how did you enjoy your stay" would have been nice, but it was a textbook, Hi, what room are you checking out of, sign here, thank you.

The room itself was great and for the cost is quite good value. Given they have a ballroom and conference facilities it seems a shame that they put off future business clientele with average service when we are the type of business people on holidays that are looking for that special venue.

Hi b1234Sydney,

Thanks so much for letting us know about your stay. It sounds like what could have been an awesome stay, given you loved the decor and rooms, was marred by some pretty poor customer service standards. Given the mount of awesome feedback we are receiving on the staff at the moment, I can only apologise profusely that we did not give you the same courtesy and care as we have been giving others. It really is not on.

I hope that you may try us again once you have shaken your stay off. It definitely is not the QT experience.

Sas
QT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

THe QT was very interesting at first....not my cup of tea. But the staff were more then happy to help with you. Which doesn't happen too many places these days. The decor was very 50-60ish but worked well. We were there for a conference so spent most of our time in the hotel. The Bazaar market place resturant was great food excellent . The Sringray Bar had great atmosphere,staff terrific snacks were great. Not too pricey.
As much as I do not go to Srufers Paradise if I have to again I will be more then happy to stay at QT.

Room Tip: WE had the Mountain view it was fine. The ocean view I am told is great.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Gold Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I won a competition that included a nights stay in an Ocean View Room with Breakfast and Sunday Lunch. I don't think I would pay to stay at this hotel. The room was a good size and the bed comfortable. The room was noisy, I could hear the lift all night (or some other banging noises??) and sirens from the road below. My partner, who is fairly well travelled, commented that the decor was very 'in your face' and that the shower screen was too short - picky, but those were his only compaints. Yes, everything is for sale in the room which is strange. I'm sure it wouldnt be too much to ask to provide a couple of water bottles free of charge in each room. Breakfast was great. There is literally too much to choose from. The poached eggs were cold. Lunch was also excellent and the service staff were very efficient and friendly.

• 2 of 5 bubbles